New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question Steering seems to have a kink ?

I had a Teleflex No Feed Back system installed last season all was good till about a couple months ago, I noticed when running WOT that it seem to stick in one spot and you can almost feel it like snap when it unsticks , out sat it seems to be not only at WOT but lower speeds also I know it was only 29* when I launched and it was stiff to say the least but after it warmed up I could feel like a certain spot when turning the wheel that would almost like bind then go like normal like you were hitting a spot that had a kink or something. What can I check looked under the dash there are no open areas to grease or anything ,everything looks good at the motor? should I disconnect it at the motor and see if the cables move smoothly all the way thru turn to turn ?
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    TTT

I would start by unhooking the cable from the engine. swivel the engine and see if there is a tight place, then run the steering without the engine from lock to lock and see if there is a tight place. No feed back is a goofy feeling system anyway with the clutches in the helm having to release before the cable will move. But if you have had it for a season I would assume you know how it is supposed to feel.

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thanks I’ll do that tomorrow and report my findings

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Do you mean the cable on the right side with the big nuts on them or or on the left where it goes to the steering bracket?

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    ok disconnected and all is well with the cables themselves no kinking or obstruction when turning end to end also no rough spot or grinding when turning the motor end to end either cleaned the ends of the cables that show on port side and sprayed with lubricant also made sure all was tight when put it back together everything feels fine ,will see when we get it out on the water . Should there be a washer where the tie bar from the motor goes to the bracket where the cables join? I do not have one and was wondering?

See how the grease is on the end of the cables on the motor. Some grease get real thick in the cold temps and act like glue instead of grease.

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Should there be a washer where the tie bar from the motor goes to the bracket where the cables join? I do not have one and was wondering?
    Mine has washers above and below the pushrod. In other words, when assembling the L shaped tie rod to the push rod, I would put a washer on first, then put it thru the push rod, then another washer, then the lock nut.

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Thanks I’ll pick up a couple should I use any loctite also?

Mine does not have Loctite on it. It is an item that should be regularly inspected but mine has never backed off.

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Ditch it and go hydro.....in the long run you will save $$$$ I ran a no feed back for two years and it acted up....got it gone!

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Bassmeister , at the time couldn't wait to replace and couldn't afford to go hydro with so much else going on ,so went with NFB what a difference it was from the old rack and pinion that was on there ,yes I wish I could of went hydro but it wasn't in the cards for me.

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Well took the boat out again today steering worse than it was contacted sea star who now owns teleflex and was told just show proof of purchase and they will send me whatever parts I need under warranty I purchased it in Jan of 2016 still under warranty that was good news

14. Member
    Well that's good news Al.

GL
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC