Thread: BFL. Hoosier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BFL. Hoosier

Just curious about fishing the Hoosier BFL this 2018 season. Would it be better to fish this ir pursue fishing one of the USA Bass Divisions?

Depends if you want to travel all over Indiana fishing, or just choose 2-3 lakes you like that have USA Bassin. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with co-anglers in the BFL....go fish with a buddy!
    At least we had 1987....

Hard to find someone who wants to put the time in on tournaments anymore. But, I appreciate the insight.

Bfl and USA bassin are totally different and it really depends on what your goal is. If you want cheap tourneys on local waters fishing against the same locals over and over then USA bassin it is. If you want to fish against different guys on different bodies of water and don't mind traveling then it's Bfl. If you want to "qualify" for a regional by just showing up and paying for 5 events then USA bassin it is. If you actually want to earn your way to a regional by having enough points to qualify then it's Bfl. If you qualify for the classic through a regional and want to fish a classic on KY lake every year then it's USA bassin. If you want to fish the All American and qualify through a regional thats on different lake every year then it's Bfl. If you want to pay an entry fee for a regional and classic then USA bassin it is. If you want to fish a regional and All American for free then Bfl it is. You want to qualify for the FLW cup, then Bfl it is. One circuit has cheap divisional entry fees, one doesn't. One has the same half dozen local teams always in the money, one has different winners and different guys cashing each event. Good luck with decision.

5. Banned
    ^^^ Translation: USA Bassin sucks... and so do their payouts...
    Payouts are the only thing you missed in your post Lee

BFL payouts aren't that great. Take away the perk of a free regional.

If you have the means and ability, fish BFL. Its not the end all be all by any means but its the best singles tournament format we have.

Quote Originally Posted by bradjames12 View Post
    ^^^ Translation: USA Bassin sucks... and so do their payouts...
    Payouts are the only thing you missed in your post Lee
    Brad, i intentionally left out the payout differences cause I occasionally fish USA Bassin and don't want to be banned from them. But yes, their payouts suck and everyone knows it lol.

As far as Bfl payouts not being great i have to disagree. Not only are the regionals free but each of the 6 payout over $100k, add in the payouts at the All American and it's over a $1 million paid out with no entry fee.

If you really stopped and did the math for USA Bassin you'd probably stop fishing them lol.

I agree skeeterator, the real perks to bfl is fishing the regional and beyond. However, the single tournament payouts aren't great.

I delima with the USA tournaments is lack of Partner. 2nd. I normally fish tournaments on Smithland Pool, Barkley, or KY Lake. I woukd like to fish more team event but considering Hoosier ir Illini BFL since it normak has regional in KY Lake. Guess Inhave a couple months to figure it out.
    Thanks

Have fished BFL (and even the old Redman Trail back in the day), IBF, HOT, FOM, and USA Bassin'. In 2017, USA Bassin' divisional events payed out 70% of entries at the ramp while BFL divisions payed out approximately 64-65% at the ramp. In this day and age of tournaments, without considerable non-endemic sponsors, very few viable trails pay out over 80% at the ramp. If you can find a trail which you enjoy that pays out 100%, you're lucky, sir! FISH IT!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinarc View Post
    Have fished BFL (and even the old Redman Trail back in the day), IBF, HOT, FOM, and USA Bassin'. In 2017, USA Bassin' divisional events payed out 70% of entries at the ramp while BFL divisions payed out approximately 64-65% at the ramp. In this day and age of tournaments, without considerable non-endemic sponsors, very few viable trails pay out over 80% at the ramp. If you can find a trail which you enjoy that pays out 100%, you're lucky, sir! FISH IT!
    I actually enjoyed fishing with the guys in the PFL on Patoka. However, I was unable to fish with them last year or sub when they needed. As for this year, my schedule is much different and I have not committed to any tournament yet. Appreciate the advice.

12. Member
    Entry Fees are quite different in those series as well.
    2002 518 DVX

Yeah. I fished BFL LBL, Bass Workd Sport, and Angler’s Choice. Most of the bigger team events are all about the same.

14. Member
    I fished BFL Bama Division for 6 years, enjoyed every T, had a great time, good expierience

Since payouts were brought up and the claim was made that USA Bassin pays back 70% can someone actually show those numbers? USA Bassin had 300+ divisional tourneys in IN this year. If you look online at the results for each tourney you see the anglers names and to the right you see how much weight they had but never see the payouts. I can look at bfl and hoosier open results and see the payouts for each divisional tourney. A lot of us on this board have won multiple USA Bassin events and question the 70% number since we know how much we won. Just thinking out loud here so don't crucify me lol.

Think I will just stick with fishing Anglers Choice Smithland Pool and some Wildcats in Barkley Lake this year. Just closer for me to go south then fishing Monroe or Tanners. Appreciate evveryones input.

Dan

The attached is directly from the USA Bassin' Divisional Tournament Director's Handbook, sir. The attached chart is for the "$50" entry events, which is the five event divisional trails that many take part in.
    Basically, teams compete for $35 dollars out of each $50 entry fee. The remaining fifteen dollars goes into the various Classic funds, Regional expenses, operating expenses (event insurance, web site fees, day to day office expenses, etc.). In addition, the director(s) retains a nominal amount for their operating expenses and dedicated time to plan, coordinate, and conduct the events.
    The payout for the weeknight events are determined in a similar manner as described above, however, with the smaller entry fee, amounts are obviously smaller, though the percentages do remain the same.
    As you are probably aware, the Big Bass Pot is a 100% payback at all times.
    In addition, should anyone be curious to know, directors are not exempt from paying the fees remanded to USA Bassin' at each event, ie. the fifteen dollars ($15).
    Lee, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call. I would be glad to explain how we at least conduct our tournaments in the Lake Santee IN-47 Division. We strive to ensure our events are transparent to everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the breakdown Chip. Trust me when I say MANY of the guys fishing USA Bassin have wondered for years what the payout structure really is.

You, and everyone else, are very welcome, Lee... and yes, you can count me among those who have wondered the percentages in many trails as well. It is my opinion, and I believe USA Bassin's Mr. Yeary would agree, that directors of ANY and EVERY trail should be wiling to be forthright with the numbers. To not be completely transparent does nothing but foster mistrust and discontent.

20. Banned
    I fished USA Bassin tourney's for a few years and this is the first time I've ever seen the breakdown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast