1994 Johnson 90hp issue

Ok buddies boat has an issue, trying to sort it out.

We ran it today, started perfectly...ran it for about 10 minutes max, got up to 44mph at 5100rpm. Slowed down going into a cove, cut the engine off to piddle around. Piddled around for about 15 minutes and went to start engine to leave and it wouldnt start. Hasnt started yet, wont even try. I figured it was an electrical issue and was just going to verify when we got home so pulled the plugs and turned over and all are sparking bright blue. So a fuel issue? What in the world could have happened in that short time from running perfectly, to nothing at all? We killed the engine on our own will.

Any pointers would help.

I dont have a compression tester, but almost positive the compression on the engine is fine. I can go get one tomorrow...but even if it was a compression issue, wouldnt the motor at least start, or try to?

I was totally expecting for it to not have any spark...but it wont start on muffs right now either, but spark plugs do have spark.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Need Fuel and Fire with good compression. Check your fuel supply and fuel filter. Check the basics everything from the tank to motor.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Need Fuel and Fire with good compression. Check your fuel supply and fuel filter. Check the basics everything from the tank to motor.
    Its a new fuel line from tank to motor. Gas is getting to carb bowls. I need to check compression but almost positive that isnt the issue.

I found something that could possibly be the issue. When checking resistance to stator, it read 1.3...mine is supposed to check out at .7 at plus or minus .05. Now there is a johnson 90hp motor that uses a 6 amp stator (resistance 1.3), and a johnson that uses a 9amp stator (resistance .7). Mine is reading the 1.3, but supposed to be .7...so do you think my stator is possibly bad or possibly the wrong stator is on the motor?

Would either one of these cause this issue?

Plan on doing an official spark test today with the correct tool, compression test, and I have ruled out fuel, because fuel is getting to cylinders.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Your model number will tell you which stator you have but if can jump a 7/16" spark gap you are OK on spark. If you have good blue spark on all 4 plugs I don't think it is your stator.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Like Fred says,,check basics, compression, spark(jumps 7/16th gap), proper fuel supply. Check all connections on and around the motor and insure they are good. Check simple/basic things first. Also, what is the model number of the motor?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I was too slow typing again Fred,,,,,Dammit,,,

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    When you say you are getting fuel to the cylinders, how did you confirm this? Have you replaced the fuel filter on the motor and any elsewhere? Have you pumped the primer bulb and it gets firm? After you pump it, you can unscrew the carb bowl drain screws on either side of the bottom of the bowls and verify fuel to the carbs. Might want to re-verify TDC as well. Crossflows have been known to shear flywheel keys and jump timing and not start.

8. Member
    thanks guys...going to do some investigating. I do know where the pistons are at the highest, the numbers on the flywheel seem to line up with timing indicator. I dont have a timing light with me though. Thats on the list of things to check.

Thanks again.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Top right will be your #1 cylinder. Pull that plug and shine a flash light in there you should see the top of the piston. It should match the pointer. Check your primer solenoid and make sure the arrow is pointing straight down.