Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    I don’t have any shallow shots but I have a ton of deeper shots that don’t get darker at distance

2. Member
    Troy,

Do you think that beam angle at the deeper depths helps to keep the image brighter?

3. Member
    Glad I got the Mega, now to get it fine tuned.

4. Member
    Those sure are nice crisp shots Troy!!

John

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 91reddog View Post
    While I love the clarity, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the range/ brightness of 455. I just do not think that where I'm currently at in interpreting what my Onix and Helix 12 gen 1 that I personally would gain much . At least until one of them dies. .$02
    In the pic I posted.... the whole pic could be much brighter... but I like to run my sensitivity on the low side. I could have brightened it up a lot.

If you did end up getting a mega unit.... you would not be "giving up" anything, only gaining....... it still does 455, and 800(plus chirp on all imaging too) Sometimes I scan wide with 455 looking for structure, then scan with mega around the good spots. It shows everything.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    In the pic I posted.... the whole pic could be much brighter... but I like to run my sensitivity on the low side. I could have brightened it up a lot.

If you did end up getting a mega unit.... you would not be "giving up" anything, only gaining....... it still does 455, and 800(plus chirp on all imaging too) Sometimes I scan wide with 455 looking for structure, then scan with mega around the good spots. It shows everything.

My first hands on experience with a mega unit was last month . I wired in a H10 Si mega into a friends boat. (His first Humminbird) Ive wired in over 50 units, so I know what Im doing in that respect, but yes, I ran 10 g back to the battery, mounted the transducer on a Terrova with a cable management system. I set up the menus as need be, but since I knew nothing about a mega unit, I left all of the settings as default, except for selecting the mega SI freq.

The next day was Saturday, I was going fishing, he had to travel till noon then we were going to meet on the water. I told him to fish for a couple hours, come up with a list of questions, then meet up on the water. He did that. I was on fish, so I told him to meet me where I was. I spotlocked my boat and climbed in his, for what I truly expected to be an expensive ride/enlightenment for me with this new technology. I made all the necessary adjustments he requested, and he complained about not seeing anything (or much) on his SI screen. We fished in the vicinity of my boat, where I knew there to be fish for over an hour. I tried everything to get the mega to show me what I expected to see. It showed me very, very little in very familiar waters for me. 455 and 800 were comparable to my units, mega had no definition, nor showed any targets. He did not have a sd card along, and we ran out of time before dark to come to any other conclusion except that possibly his mega unit or transducer was not working properly. Thats about all I could tell him, other than to have him register it and also with Select. Were under ice cover now, and wont be able to do any more testing till open water. I was able to borrow a H12 Si Mega until June and plan to mount that on my Terrova so we have comparative units when he gets back out. I hope to have mine up and running by next Friday. I really want to see mega in person so I can make my own decision about whether to proceed with this technology or not

R

7. Banned
    What was the depths? ^

8. Member
    16 feet +-

9. Banned
    black and white, with a lot of drift
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Same group of relocated stumps with CHIRP 455 kHz, CHIRP 800 kHz, and CHIRP 1200 kHz

I guess it's just me, but I like the 455 image the best.

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

11. Member
    The mega images are awesome. But with 455khz and 800khz I can still see and interpret structure and cover, albeit less detail but SI is mainly used for finding structure and cover and bait where as DI and 2D are for locating fish. Am I wrong in my thinking? I really don't see how images can get any better then the mega, wonder where humminbird goes from there?

12. Member
    On this one the Onix to me looks clearer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12