Humminbird vs Lowrance

I am contemplating some options this winter and one is revamping my sonar units. Currently run HDS 3 Lowrance 9 & 12. I feel like my scouting game isn't what it needs to be, so my perception is the Mega Imaging side scan is considerably better than the Lowrance side scan. But I also have plenty of $$$ into Lowrance so I want to make sure I am making a smart decision if I did switch.

One question I had is with the wiring, I have ethernet cables (lowrance) run front to back in my boat. I have NMEA nextwork setup. Could I use any of my current wiring, or is it just running all new stuff?

My other question revolves around shallow water fishing (6 ft and shallower) with the 360 - is it legit? Should I wait for something a little bit more advanced to come out? Seems that has been out a while now and both Lowrance and Humminbird I'd imagine are working on something.

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. Member
    I made the switch last year from Lowrance gen 3 units. VERY happy with my decision so far. Mega imaging is the real deal. What units are you looking at switching to, helix or solix? I went with Helix units. Many told me I would be "down grading" and would not be happy..... but they were wrong!! I do admit I miss a few features of the gen 3s but not enough to make me regret the decision.

You will not be able to use the Lowrance ethernet cables. You may be able to use your nmea network depending on what you use it for and what units you go with. I took mine out and sold it with my setup. If you currently use the point 1 antenna and share the heading part with your bow unit..... that will be one difference with humminbird. You can share a heading sensor/gps puck, but you have to share all (gps and heading) if you go with helix units. With solix units or onix units, you can share gps and heading separately between units. I chose to use a heading/gps puck at bow and stern.

Another difference if you picked helix units..... you can not share a single map card between units like you can with the hds units and an ethernet cable. You would need a map card for each unit. Solix/onix units can share a map card over the network.

I can't offer any info on 360....but i want it and probably going to get it soon. Like you... I keep wondering if something updated isn't close to coming outs since it's been out for a while.

Search youtube for Doug Vahrenberg and watch his humminbird videos. He also just recently did 4 new ones comparing the helix and solix units.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I've heard the same thing on downgrading and I scratch my head a bit as the side imaging looks far and away superior. I'd be going to the solix units as I don't think I can go away from touch screen after how nice the hds units have been with them. The setup I'd go with would be solix console and bow and then 360 at the bow as well. Then adding the ultrex... I run a motorguide xi5 now so it won't be too much of an upgrade. Anyone who's had the xi5 knows it's legit. But all of that is going to cost a pretty penny. So I need to find someone to purchase my lowrance hds 3s and xi5 if I go down that route. Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

4. Member
    I understand. When I made the switch, I would have went with the Solix 10's if they had been available because of limited room at my console. I knew the helix 10 was about as big as I needed at my console.... so I went with a Helix 10 mega at the console and a Helix 12 Mega at my bow with the idea of adding 360 soon. To network everything together you will need the 5 port ethernet switch also.

I see SO much better detail overall with my helix units than I ever did with my gen 3's. And side imaging in shallow water is night and day different to me. The Solix units will be even better. Good luck!!
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I've heard the same thing on downgrading and I scratch my head a bit as the side imaging looks far and away superior. I'd be going to the solix units as I don't think I can go away from touch screen after how nice the hds units have been with them. The setup I'd go with would be solix console and bow and then 360 at the bow as well. Then adding the ultrex... I run a motorguide xi5 now so it won't be too much of an upgrade. Anyone who's had the xi5 knows it's legit. But all of that is going to cost a pretty penny. So I need to find someone to purchase my lowrance hds 3s and xi5 if I go down that route. Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
    I just switched one of my HDS units for a Solix. IMHO, there is no contest between the two. I also just got a 360. It is legit, could be better, but it has caused me to catch fish I never would have caught without it. If you'll be looking for crystal clear images with it, it ain't happening. I concentrate on watching for shadows.There is a bit of interpretation involved. I too had an xi5. I have no idea how you can think that thing is legit. For me, it was basically junk. Never was happy with it. The Ultrex is professional quality, while the xI5 is entry level equipment. When you get the Ultrex, you will see what I mean!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I am also going to be purchasing a Solix 10. I have Lowrance HDS7T now and I can't get over how much clearer picture the SI and DI are on the Humminbird. I used to have a 597c hdi unit and remember how clear it was.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

7. Member
    I have a hds9 in the console and a hds12 ram mounted at the console. A hds7 up front and a onix unit up front with 360 imaging.
    I love my setup. Find structure scanning and then fish it with the 360 so I know right where it is..

8. Member
    Did you post this on the lowrance forum?
    So so many lowrance fanboys.... or pro staff or just crazy loyal.

I dont hnderstand how the lowrance people call the helix a downgrade minus the us the touch screen.
    Its nice to have choices for sure though but with si and di being so much better on the hb units plus the HB being quite a bit cheaper it was a no brainer for me