Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crankin Reel Ratio

Currently have a Curado 200E5 for throwing crankbaits (DT10's, 16's, SK 5XD's etc) and think the 5.1 ratio is too slow. Its find in open water, but if the bait loads up with weeds and when you rip it, it takes a long time to take up that slack again. Looking at 6.3 Curado to replace it. For mid depth (10-16') have you guys found the 6.3 is too fast and causes the bait to not reach the advertised depth? I throw cranks on 12 lb Invisx. I know the story used to be you need the lower ratio for power but I think that has changed with the new reel designs over the last few years.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

2. Member
    Still use 5.1

It's not so much the gear ratio, as it is "inches of line per turn of the handle." The old reels had a lower gear ratio, but their spools were larger in diameter than today's reels. Today's reels have higher ratios, but their spools are smaller in diameter. So, look at inches per turn. Those old Lew's BB-1N's that David Fritts used in his prime retrieved 19 inches per turn of the reel handle.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    The E5 is 21" per turn and the 6.3 reel is 26"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton 186 View Post
    Still use 5.1
    Same here but a 6.2 will work just fine. you just don't reel as fast. I think 6.2 is better for the smaller crankbaits.

6. Member
    I'm with Mr Hahn on this one

I have so many reels with so many different ratios I cant even remember what they all are anymore..One cast I can usually figure out to speed up or slow down

I use a Revo Winch (5.4:1) for the baits mentioned, but a 6.4:1 would work just as well. You can always just slow down your retrieve as needed. I use a 6.4:1 for any cranks other than the deep divers.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    I use a Revo Winch (5.4:1) for the baits mentioned, but a 6.4:1 would work just as well. You can always just slow down your retrieve as needed. I use a 6.4:1 for any cranks other than the deep divers.
    That's my thought as well. You can't speed up a a slow reel but u can slow down a fast one...

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    I have so many reels with so many different ratios I cant even remember what they all are anymore..One cast I can usually figure out to speed up or slow down
    Exactly Jerry! Especially with the way reels have been made in the last several years, you have high speed with torque. So...why not use the faster ratios. The torque is there and speed if you need it. Adjust your retrieve as needed.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

11. Member
    I love using traps and I have a 7:9:1 ratio reel for using them. For lipless baits I think a faster ratio reel is fine since your not feeling the resistance of the bait like you would a diver. But man anything more than a squarebill on that rod and I can't do it. I think the bigger , deeper divers your going to want to use a slower ratio so your not killing your arms in the process of using them.

12. Member
    A 6.3:1 is perfectly fine. That's what I use. Not for 8Xd's or 10XD's though; I use a 5.1:1 for those. As long as your reel doesn't take up too much line on the retrieve and it has good gears, it'll be fine.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Currently have a Curado 200E5 for throwing crankbaits (DT10's, 16's, SK 5XD's etc) and think the 5.1 ratio is too slow. Its find in open water, but if the bait loads up with weeds and when you rip it, it takes a long time to take up that slack again. Looking at 6.3 Curado to replace it. For mid depth (10-16') have you guys found the 6.3 is too fast and causes the bait to not reach the advertised depth? I throw cranks on 12 lb Invisx. I know the story used to be you need the lower ratio for power but I think that has changed with the new reel designs over the last few years.
    I feel exactly the same. The 5.1 is to slow to me, I have to crank the $#!+ out of it to get the reactions. I could easily use a 6.3 and just slow down if I need to. I will tell you this, there's no way you can out reel a bass if they want that bait.

14. Banned
    TVA lakes 6:3-7:1

15. Member
    I night time spinnerbait fish with 5.4 to 1 but I have 4 old Quantum Crankin reels that I use for walleye fishing that are 3.8 to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Try one of your other 6.3 reels, then you'll know if will works for deep divers.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

17. Member
    Pretty much just Fritts and KVD using slow reels these days. Yes, they are the best but they are also very comfortable with the way they have done it forever. If everyone else is using faster reels, there might be a reason for it. Try it out.

18. Member
    I use a Revo Wench 5.4:1 and, don't laugh, but also the old green Curado's at 3.8:1 for the really deep stuff. Not near as tiring.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Exactly Jerry! Especially with the way reels have been made in the last several years, you have high speed with torque. So...why not use the faster ratios. The torque is there and speed if you need it. Adjust your retrieve as needed.
    How do you get high speed and torque?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    How do you get high speed and torque?
    The “torque vs. speed” argument always comes up in these threads. Personally, I haven’t noticed a difference in torque between a high speed and a low speed reel. In other words, I’m able to fight and land a fish equally with either. A higher speed reel just allows me to turn a fish, or take up line coming at the boat, quicker.
    But, people should use what they like.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast