Thinking of changing deer leases

I'm thinking about getting off the deer lease in Mississippi and trying to find something in Louisiana. I also like to fish a little during the summer. If I get on a lease around Clinton or Amite, or Bogalousa, what lakes are close by?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    I'm thinking about getting off the deer lease in Mississippi and trying to find something in Louisiana. I also like to fish a little during the summer. If I get on a lease around Clinton or Amite, or Bogalousa, what lakes are close by?
    Are you one of those people Kyle was referring to in the other post? The ones ....with....money???
    Last edited by lakebouef5; 11-20-2017 at 02:05 PM.

3. Member
    I have money, but only a little bit. I'm living on a fixed income, whatever that means. Moving to find something cheaper.

4. Member
    Don't let him lie to you Rock. He is loaded

5. Member
    There are some around Toledo Bend. Looked at one for last year and it was 7-800 per year. Big club. I'd like to find something with a small membership without a bunch of crazy rules and not a ton of work. So, I am sitting home for my third hunting season Did I mention cheap????

6. Member
    It's relatively inexpensive to drive to Kerrville, Tx. Buy a $40 out of state non resident license, $150 for an Axis doe and come home with an ice chest of meat. $300-500 total expense depending on how many you shoot. Also Axis taste much better than white tail IMHO.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    It's relatively inexpensive to drive to Kerrville, Tx. Buy a $40 out of state non resident license, $150 for an Axis doe and come home with an ice chest of meat. $300-500 total expense depending on how many you shoot. Also Axis taste much better than white tail IMHO.

I know, Mark. But I like having a place to go and sit on the porch. Drink coffee in the morning and sip bourbon in the evening.

8. Member
    Yep, nothing screws up a nice relaxing day at the camp faster than shooting one of those stinky deer

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oiltech09 View Post
    On facebook there is a page called texas exotic hunts and they post stuff all of the time from $200 WT does and axis does to trophy exotics and everything in between. I just had my second child and I do believe ill be making quite a few of these meat hunts in texas. Just don't have the time to spend at a lease do work days and stuff.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right......once is enough!"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    There are some around Toledo Bend. Looked at one for last year and it was 7-800 per year. Big club. I'd like to find something with a small membership without a bunch of crazy rules and not a ton of work. So, I am sitting home for my third hunting season Did I mention cheap????
    If you find a couple hundred acres around the bend and need a lease partner, count me in. Dad and I have been looking for years. All I need is one box stand to bring my girls in the evenings.

11. Member
    Maybe when Barry buys his 5000 acre high fence ranch he will be nice enough to carve out a couple hundred acres for the poor folks to shoot his scrubs and hogs.

12. Member
    Yep it would be nice!!!

13. Member
    So back to my original question, If I buy that 5,000 acre high fence area between Clinton and Bogalusa, are there any lakes in the area?

14. Member

15. Member
    I know this old guy around you age that is in a club in St Helena Parish.
    I know they have a hog issue but they still get some deer.
    I can ask if they are looking for members.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    So back to my original question, If I buy that 5,000 acre high fence area between Clinton and Bogalusa, are there any lakes in the area?
    That joint prolly has lakes on it. Go for it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bada$$Bullet View Post
    If you find a couple hundred acres around the bend and need a lease partner, count me in. Dad and I have been looking for years. All I need is one box stand to bring my girls in the evenings.
    I fish with an old guy (yes older than me) sometimes when I'm up there who has a few hundred acre lease. He brought me to meet the fellow he leases from. Hopefully when he is done with it I can get a shot at it. My intent in getting a place up there was to hunt and fish. Between Toledo and Rayburn it will keep you busy for a while. there is a cluster of smaller lakes north of there too. The best place in my opinion to do both is Alabama. Lots of good hunting and fishing in a fairly small radius. Problem is I'm still working and the drive is too much for weekends. Hell, Toledo bend is the max drive for me for a long weekend. I thought about selling it but the only thing making me keep it is the possibility of one day being able to retire. I really need to get back to looking for a place on the water. I don't think there is much fishing close to Clinton. Maybe somewhere on the other side of the river around old river, st john, concordia

18. Member
    I talked to my friend who has a lease by Greensburg.
    The deer population seems to be less as the hogs are taking over.
    They do have small ponds on the lease that is about it for fishing.
    I fished a few as his guest when I went to help do work on his lease.
    They got some fish as they are not fished a lot, but the ponds are small.

19. Member
    That happened on my last lease in Clinton. When the hogs moved in, the deer moved out.