Thread: Merc 125

Merc 125

Good morning everyone! I have a 2001 Ranger bass boat with a Merc 125. I bought it from a gentlemen a couple of years ago with less than 50 hours on it. Over the past couple of years, I might have put another 20 hours on her. My question is when should I get a full service done to the motor (every year, ect..)? She still runs like a champ, but I want to make sure I don't over look anything. Thanks guys!!

You need to post the serial number to make sure which 125 you have. In general, the motor should be serviced every year or 100 hours which ever occurs FIRST. If you have the inline 4 cylinder 125, it is a VERY easy motor to maintain yourself.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 411sponge View Post
    My question is when should I get a full service done to the motor (every year, ect..)?
    What do you mean by "full" service? On a yearly basis you should do at least the following: change lower unit oil, replace spark plugs (unless you only used it a few hours), lubricate grease zerks, visually inspect, and check operation of the lanyard stop switch. On a 2 or 3 year service I would check engine timing, adjust carbs, lubricate drive shaft splines, check power trim fluid, check control cable adjustments, remove engine deposits with Mercury Power Tune, and replace the water pump impeller.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't forget the fuel filters (annually).

In a fishing application, annual water pump replacement is wise. Other (pleasure) applications in all-clean water, every 2 years is usually fine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor