New Ranger order qustions.

I will be ordering a Z521L in the next few months. I am a Mercury guy but think I may want to get a G2. Can anyone with a G2 give me any cons about it? I talked to Ranger about the trailer being aluminum and they said no problem. I live on salt water and plan on using it in both fresh and salt so the trailer is a big deal! I don't see the options for a Raymarine Axiom. Has anyone seen one rigged with flush mounted Raymarine Axiom electronics? I have Humminbird Onix equipment now, however, I am really tired of sending in my units for repair. Alos I have a stealth charger on my boat now and wonder why Ranger does not offer this charger. Any suggestions on any options you may think are a must are appreciated!

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I can’t answer all your questions, but will respond to two. On the G2, no question it has many advanced features and performs extremely well. There is an extensive thread on the Evinrude forum that may be instructive. Those who had any problems were almost always with the earliest produced, and your biggest thing to be careful about is having access to someone certified on the G2, just in case you ever do encounter an issue. I know nothing about Raymarine other than reputation. But I am not surprised you can’t get a Stealth system from the factory. They are not common any more, and Ranger doesn’t appear to favor stocking or installing less popular items. A friend of mine recently tried to replace a Stealth system that had failed and could not get one. I don’t know if that is a temporary shortage, or what. Anyway, congrats on your pending purchase!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Banned
    Im trying a G2 also...like my Lowrances...maybe a trailer step....upgrade wheels....Ultrex....point one....

4. Member
    The G2 is one awesome engine, my customers have been very happy with theirs.

5. Member
    just got my 520L in last week... be sure add tilt steering, if running hydralic jackplate be sure and add jackplate gauge, they for got to add these things....wished I would have done trailer step, I also have the rubber flooring in the cock pit and I LOVE it..no brainer
    I have the Merc 250 proxs..cheaper and more reliable in my opinion, I also love the 17 in rims..looks great.

I"m kinda doing a "wait and see" on the G-2. Hard to beat a 10yr Warrantee tho !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    I have a 2016 Z520C with the G2. I researched them all and to me, the G2 was a no brainer even without the 10 year warranty. I have been in the same boat with other motor options and I can say without a doubt if I was ordering a new boat right now it would have a G2 on the back of it! I run Garmin's so, I can't comment on graphs.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I ordered a G2 on mine...

9. Member
    Thanks for all the replies, I really love my Mercurys but see no reason to NOT switch to a G2. I have always been a huge fan of Evinrude, I guess as a kid they looked the coolest way back then. I hear the FICHT was terrible but G2 it will be!

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Exciting!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio