Smith Lake Spots

I'm heading to Smith Lake first week in December. I usually go up there a little earlier in the fall to dropshot for spots, how is the spot bite in early December? Also, I've never fished east of the Dam so this trip I'll be fishing the Simpson Creek area. Any quality fish in that area or should I stick with my usual areas west of the dam?
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

2. Member
    196 views and no replies.....I don't know if that means the east side of Smith Lake is so terrible nobody fishes it, or it is so good nobody wants to say anything???
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

3. Member
    The east side fishes fine, You can catch fish alot of different ways this time of year. The water is waaaaaay down so the fish are easier to catch in my opinion.

4. Member
    The east side fishes fine,  You can catch fish alot of different ways this time of year.  The water is waaaaaay down so the fish are easier to catch in my opinion. 

5. Member
    Jd - I am not an expert (only fishing there for a few years regularly) - but agreeing with Busta - that either side of the lake is fine - it was tough for me a few weeks ago (cold windy afternoon - not a bite and next morning was 27 at the ramp - did warm up later tho and caught 6) - also the lake is basically at Winter Pool - and if you use the ramp at the Dam - the ones facing the dam seem to be a bit longer/deeper - the single ramp (parallel with the dam) with the better dock setup got a little bumpy at the bottom - was ok for launch but didn't use it to load the boat.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

6. Member
    Just a FYI, the boat ramps at Smith Lake Park are closed for construction/expansion. They will be closed 60 days or so. Speegle's is still open if your putting in up that way & of course the ramps at the dam are good.
    Fish are starting to stack up a little. You should have a good trip. Give me a shout if you can't find a bite somewhere.

7. Alabama Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlong49 View Post
    196 views and no replies.....I don't know if that means the east side of Smith Lake is so terrible nobody fishes it, or it is so good nobody wants to say anything???
    No, it means I clicked on the thread to read it but don't have any useful information to provide. Not hiding anything...........

8. Member
    Picasso rig (small A-rig version) with small Swing Impacts in shad color are good right now, as is 4" stick worms in GP and GP purple flake. Topwater baits like the Gunfish and Sammy are still getting bit off main points and bluff walls. Find the bluebacks and the spots will be there, as will huge stripers.
    .................. Today is ALWAYS the best day to go fishin!

9. Member
    I fished it yesterday. Still close to 60 water temp. Fish were hitting light green senkos on a shaky head. Same bait whacky. 5' around wood. Also hitting dark worms fished in pockets 20' or so. Some schooling so keep a spook handy.

10. Member
    We fished full day Saturday and about 4 hours yesterday AM Weather was awesome - but fishing (for us) was not - only had 3 bites Saturday - all schooling fish - 1 spot, 1 largemouth and one stripe - we blanked yesterday AM. We threw almost everything Saturday (except Senkos of course) - spooks/walking baits (various colors, sizes, styles), underspins (various), a-rigs, DS (various), Shakeyheads, jerkbaits, blade baits, hair jig, small spoons and lipless, we did find bait in different areas but the only fish were caught on a spook.

I love Smith lake but it doesn't love me. Glad someone is catching them - we did see a quite a few boats fishing same or similar areas and didn't witness anyone loading the boat - just a lot of running around.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360