Optimax alarm at WOT

2008 Optimax Pro XS 225 with 400hrs. ( Don't have serial # in hand, boat is at the storage.)

Been having this happen the past few trips.. Don't really understand.

When I go to open it all the way up to WOT, after about 5 seconds I get a loud "held out" beep, (it's not beeping off and on, just a constant sound.) It doesn't affect anything, if you just keep it down it still turns 6k RPM and hauls rear.

Weird thing is, it usually stops beeping after about another 5 seconds. Something else I've noticed, when it starts beeping, if you drop it down to about 5k RPM, it stops. You can get it back up to 6k, and no beep at all, she justs get on down the water screaming. Water pump pisses normal, full tank of oil, and the motor runs fine with no issues at all. I've been reading up on it a little and some folks are saying it's a sensor in the oil tank that thinks it's low on oil..?

What do y'all think? Thanks!!!

2. Member
    How old are the spark plugs?

3. Member
    Modern boat motors are the same as modern cars, you need to know the fault code.

Here's how to find to fault code......Click on this>>>>>"My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""

4. Member
    What's the max rpm's for that engine? Maybe it's an over rev alarm.

merc300- I'm the 2nd owner (have had it since 2015.) Owner had all papers on maintenance, and as far I know they are still the original plugs. However, I pulled them not too long ago and they still looked fine! Well, actually the #6 cylinder plug is brand new because I had a misfire a few weeks ago thinking it was that plug.. Turned out to be ignition coil (apparently was a recall on the '07-'08 Optimax's.) But other than that, the rest of the plugs are original as far as I know.

satbeach- Max RPM is 6200 RPM (correct me if I'm wrong.) The thing is, it's never done this until a few trips ago. I've ran WOT plenty of times before and no issue at all. 3 blade 25p Fury at ~6,000RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Modern boat motors are the same as modern cars, you need to know the fault code.

Here's how to find to fault code......Click on this>>>>>"My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""
    I see that a prolonged beep is a serious problem.. I wonder if low oil would send off the "serious problem" sound?? If it does, that could very well be that oil sensor thing I was reading about.

7. Member
    I just had electrical issues with a 1997 225 carb engine and new spark plugs solved my problems. It was the last thing I expected.

8. Member
    Spark plugs are NOT causing his alarm.

If anyone could confirm that low oil would off the prolonged beep, then I can most likely say it's the sensor stuck in the tank..

If that's not it, than the only thing I could say is some how it's overheating.. Water pump looks like it pisses fine though WOT. The only issue with that is, I can't confirm how many PSI it's pushing, because my SmartCraft gauge is extremely hard to read (almost as if the sun got to it and about blacked out the screen. But at idle, and WOT it looks normal..

Last maintenance was done at 300hrs and it has a little over 400 now.. Maybe it is the water pump..?

10. Member
    IF you get the fault codes read, then there is no guessing.

Motors are expensive, why risk it!

11. Member
    100 hrs on the water pump and plugs is a long time on any motor so I'd say your over due for some maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    100 hrs on the water pump and plugs is a long time on any motor so I'd say your over due for some maintenance
    I'm about to it's maintenance very soon, probably even this weekend.. But the deal with the spark plugs..

The maintenance at 300hrs, I took it to the same boat mechanic I've taken every boat that I've owned to. The dude is top notch.. I told him to just do full typical maintenance (LU oil, water pump, plugs, etc...) However, I got a call from him the next day telling me that he can change the sparks plugs if I want him to, but that the plugs are still perfectly fine and everything is running perfect. So I just told him to don't mess with them then..

Pulled them again a few weeks ago, still are fine.. I'm going to go ahead and change them though... Every mechanic that's checked out this motor has told me it's one of the cleanest they've seen (used in saltwater 80% of the time, not a spec of corrosion to be seen.)

Anyway.... Don't really know what all that has to do with anything.. Lol. I'll do the maintenance on it this weekend then go run the shit out of it again and see if it goes off.. For all I know, it could simply be the water pump, because again, I use it in saltwater most the time getting up on plane in 1-2ft of water in sand/mud...

13. Member
    Lots of very helpful information in the FAQs at top of forum.

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Update-

Went back out today.. Ran it wide open multiple times with no beep and no problems at all. Kept the hammer down for a solid 10 mins at one point.. No issues.

Wonder if maybe I just had some trash in the fuel, which may be the reason when the alarm did go off, it was only for a few seconds

But on the not so bright side, someone slashed a trailer tire/ripped a bunk off....

Anyway, thanks for the info guys! No issues now

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duramax6 View Post
    Update-

Went back out today.. Ran it wide open multiple times with no beep and no problems at all. Kept the hammer down for a solid 10 mins at one point.. No issues.

Wonder if maybe I just had some trash in the fuel, which may be the reason when the alarm did go off
    , it was only for a few seconds

But on the not so bright side, someone slashed a trailer tire/ripped a bunk off....

Anyway, thanks for the info guys! No issues now
    "trash in the fuel" is NOT the reason for the alarm. Nothing was FIXED, so the alarm will be back. Stop guessing, get the faults read, so your not left stranded somewhere.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are literally dozens of potential causes for alarms.

The alarm is a WARNING device. It's trying to warn you of a SERIOUS problem, and by hammering on down (or hammering down again and again), you're eventually going to find out the results (probably in a more expensive scenario).

Please take the time to get this in and get those faults checked. Sure... it's gonna cost you a few dollars to get the printouts. But then you will KNOW what was occurring.

One of the dozens of possibilities is Engine Overspeed.

On another note, I strongly recommend looking into the Recommended ANNUAL Maintenance schedule. Sounds like this engine may be way, way past due for several items:

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor