Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inline single treble hook replacement

Installed some on a few baits back at the beginning of the season to see how they did. I did it for two reasons, one being I joined the 'treble through the thumb club' in August '16 and secondly I wanted baits to come through grass/weeds cleaner. I had the usual doubts about hookups and missed fish, but I went through with it anyhow. I fish for fun, no money on the line or anything like that so I had nothing to lose. I did some lipless cranks, blade baits and some minnow type hardbaits. Didn't do any jerkbaits because A) I suck at them and B) It would ruin the balance ...

The season is winding down and I've decided I'm staying with them. I honestly didn't see any noticeable difference in hookups or lost fish. Face it, there's days when they'll just about crawl into the boat to get your bait and there's days they just swat at it or don't want anything at all to do with it. I will concede that there are times when a sticky sharp treble may snag an otherwise uninterested fish that bumps the bait and an inline hook won't help you there, but overall I just didn't see a big difference. It definitely helps baits come through vegetation a little better - not 100% snag free but noticeably better.

If you were thinking about it I'd say give it a shot. I don't see myself going completely away from trebles, but these definitely have their place.

Notice in the pics that the majority of the time they ate the head first, that's why I face the front hook forward. Facing it back may make it more weedless but you'd probably miss a lot more fish.

Ranting incoherently

2. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Ive been using these owners for a few years. They are definately awesome.
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

3. Member
    I should give those a try next year. I usually fish with my dog and constantly worry that I'll inadvertently snag him.

The other thing I've done is mash down the barb on treble hooks. Makes it a lot easier to unhook a fish.

4. Member
    I like those especially in grass, people think I'm making a mistake by cutting the lead point on the front treble of crankbaits but with certain baits they don't hang up as much and I'll take that

5. Member
    Have done this on all my blade baits. I have not noticed a change in hook up rate.

6. Member
    I've considered it.

It appears that the single hooks are larger than the trebles that they replace. Do you mind sharing what size you used?

I also considered just cutting two tines off of the trebles that are on my present hooks, ...but..if the new hooks should be a larger size, cutting two tines off makes no sense at all. thanks

I really like the idea of putting them on a blade bait, those things hang up constantly with the trebles.
    Last edited by yanknbass; 11-19-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

I'm a fan of the 9908 VMC dlouble Limerick 90* hooks.... For your same thinking. This eliminates the need for split rings too. I'm trying to oder the Spark Point VMC hooks from France right now. It may be a few months before I get them. Here are some pics from last weekend on the Limerick hooks. Caught 40+ smallies, 5 nice walleye, musky, perch just fine.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    I've considered it.

It appears that the single hooks are larger than the trebles that they replace. Do you mind sharing what size you used?

I also considered just cutting two tines off of the trebles that are on my present hooks, ...but..if the new hooks should be a larger size, cutting two tines off makes no sense at all. thanks
    Here's a few things to look over. Jann's seems to have the best deal on VMC hooks - under $4.00 for a 25 piece bulk pack.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/vmc-tre...ent-hooks.aspx

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...-treble-hooks/

Here's a size reference for some common crankbait sizes. As with many cranks you can go with a larger hook on the front. I mix and match to get the biggest hooks on I can without them tangling each other.
    Ranting incoherently

Wow Mike!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    Wow Mike!
    Yeah, no kidding
    Ranting incoherently

12. Member
    Mike, If I ever had a day like that, I could retire from fishing. I, obviously, would never expect to beat those results, ever again! Wow.

Mike, If I ever had a day like that, I could retire from fishing. I, obviously, would never expect to beat those results, ever again! Wow.
    40-50 fish days are common here on the great lakes if you can find them.... I have had many 200-300 fish days in the spring... 2 guys.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I hope to try some of these I painted this weekend.... If the weather holds up.

15. Member
    Probably another dumb question but...what are the negatives of using a split ring and regular structured hooks?

Probably another dumb question but...what are the negatives of using a split ring and regular structured hooks?
    For me... The more weight you add, The less action they have. The bottom facing hooks snag more junk than I want. You loose more baits and spend too much money and time tying another one on... I have not found that I miss or lose any more fish using the double hooks. Your results may vary...

17. Moderator
    Nice looking baits Mike, those painted ones look real good

Interesting - looking at Mike's pictures it seems the majority of his fish are caught on the rear hook, the opposite of mine. I wonder if it's because his front hooks face to the rear ? Seems he hooks up just fine, just at the other end of the bait.

Hey Mike, if you're up for it, maybe modify a couple of your baits to face the front hooks forward and I'll do a couple of mine with your orientation .... I'm curious to see how they hook up.
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Interesting - looking at Mike's pictures it seems the majority of his fish are caught on the rear hook, the opposite of mine. I wonder if it's because his front hooks face to the rear ? Seems he hooks up just fine, just at the other end of the bait.

Hey Mike, if you're up for it, maybe modify a couple of your baits to face the front hooks forward and I'll do a couple of mine with your orientation .... I'm curious to see how they hook up.
    Many of our fish were netted and the baits were removed from the fish and net, Then just set on the hook for the pics. This was the first day of fishing/testing these blade baits I designed... I just wanted some fish/lure pics.

So, The fish/hooks are not all hooked like you thought.

I would never face these hooks forward and defeat the purpose they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Many of our fish were netted and the baits were removed from the fish and net, Then just set on the hook for the pics. This was the first day of fishing/testing these blade baits I designed... I just wanted some fish/lure pics.

So, The fish/hooks are not all hooked like you thought.

I would never face these hooks forward and defeat the purpose they offer.
    Out of curiosity, how were the majority of them hooked ?
    Ranting incoherently

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast