Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger62 View Post
    I left a job I had been on for 12 years for what I thought was a great offer somewhere else but 4 months after the guy that hired me suddenly "resigned" and now my job has changed significantly. Wish I had stayed at old job.
    Been there and done that, like said above money isn’t everything!!

Thanks for the responses. I loved being self employed. I love anything about construction. I own all the tools/truck/trailers needed to run a small company. I was partnered with my father. When the opportunity came I had everyone, including him, telling me what a great opportunity it was. He worked through the recession (in construction) and we almost lost everything. Job security is a big part of it. I think my issue was I was more worried about taking advice from people I look up to instead of what is in my heart. I never missed a day of work being self employed and had a growing customer base. The first month I was at the new job I had some calls for major projects I really hated turning down.

I personally know the owner of the new company. I don't want hard feelings with them but quite frankly I don't think I can make it work. I guess I'm trying to decide if I'm better off leaving early or waiting a few months. I've been there for almost 3 months now.

I loved changing jobs and scenery in the construction field. At the new company I am at the same spot everyday. I've never had to punch a clock, go on break or lunch at designated times etc...as funny as it sounds I struggle with that part.

I would tell them now. Make a deal to work with them to replace you.
    There should be no hard feelings then.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Banned
    I did once for 2 weeks. Quit on the spot and had a job before I got home.

5. Member
    Ironoutlaw.... Your father is absolutely right about the construction business being cyclical....My inlaws owned a small business and things got so bad in the 80s that he went to work for UPS as a manager....He hated the job but with all the employee owned stock he retired very young as a millionaire..
    I remember my friend in the early 80s only being able to buy food for his family when he was lucky enough to get a draw. My wife tells me stories about going to the grocery store once a month at the most.....If you sub yourself out to major builders they can be really slow to pay when times are bad also....
    You have to ask yourself are you willing to put yourself and your family through a tough time...If you own your own business there isn't any Unemployment to fall back on for awhile..
    It's totally a personal decision but you need to prepare yourself for the slow times that are always just around the corner...

Job is what you make it.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

7. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I'd wait till better weather to change back to Construction. I know that can get pretty slow in some places during the Winter months.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ironoutlaw View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I loved being self employed. I love anything about construction. I own all the tools/truck/trailers needed to run a small company. I was partnered with my father. When the opportunity came I had everyone, including him, telling me what a great opportunity it was. He worked through the recession (in construction) and we almost lost everything. Job security is a big part of it. I think my issue was I was more worried about taking advice from people I look up to instead of what is in my heart. I never missed a day of work being self employed and had a growing customer base. The first month I was at the new job I had some calls for major projects I really hated turning down.

I personally know the owner of the new company. I don't want hard feelings with them but quite frankly I don't think I can make it work. I guess I'm trying to decide if I'm better off leaving early or waiting a few months. I've been there for almost 3 months now.

I loved changing jobs and scenery in the construction field. At the new company I am at the same spot everyday. I've never had to punch a clock, go on break or lunch at designated times etc...as funny as it sounds I struggle with that part.
    It doesn't sound like you hate the new job, it's more like you REALLY loved being self-employed.
    Were you doing all facets of the business when you and your father were self-employed, or does your father handle parts of business that you would rather not, such as book keeping, dealing the employees and customers, etc? He won't always be there, and someday it will all fall on you.

9. Member
    Do what you love and never work a day in your life. Going on 17 years can retire in 4. Then I'll really be doing what I love hunting and fishing
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

10. Member
    Went to work in a plant at age 19. First night said I wasn't staying 6 months. Hated being inside wanted to be a Police Officer. By the time I quit 14 years later, I was to the point, I didn't care if I got out of bed in the morning. Took a pay cut to do what I always wanted to do.

11. Banned
    Started a job at a welding shop in Sand Springs, Oklahoma. Passed the weld test, drug test, and liked the money they offered. First morning walking into the shop saw two helpers grinding without any form of eye protection. Asked the leadman if he was going to do something he said no. I turned around and walked out the door made it a whole five minutes. They didn't care about employees and I wanted no part of them. Do what your gut tells you and it will work out for the best.

12. Member
    I would give it some more time, but like my father told me, you never get rich working for a salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    It doesn't sound like you hate the new job, it's more like you REALLY loved being self-employed.
    Were you doing all facets of the business when you and your father were self-employed, or does your father handle parts of business that you would rather not, such as book keeping, dealing the employees and customers, etc? He won't always be there, and someday it will all fall on you.
    In the beginning it was 50/50. Towards the end I was doing all the sales and office work. We would both be on the job equally. we both drew equal salaries. It will definitely work out better for me financially to go at it alone. He is actually at the new job too. They hired me, him and my brother all together.

I'm giving it until New year. Im pretty sure I've made a decision but don't want to be to rash with it. I've got some excited clients that have been calling me after i told them I may he coming back.

14. Banned
    I pray for a day that I can leave the self employed construction world behind!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    And I will second that!!!!

16. Member
    Worked on cars in High School. Left after graduation and went to Universal Tech and got a associates degree in automotive technology. Worked in the field for 18 years.

Now, I am a Facility Engineer. Makes no sense.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    And I will second that!!!!
    I'll 3rd that. It seems like every month my body keeps reminding me the time is getting closer.
    I thought it was going to be this year but I might be closer coming 2018.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

18. Member
    Hold your head high, act like you love it and do a great job. Meanwhile look for something you like. Faith, Family, Work. Prayers sent for you to find what you love and your family. Been there.
    Praying for a Cure

Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Job is what you make it.
    Well----- Depends on the job.

Twice I chased the big money jobs, and hated both jobs.
    17 years old and worked in a packing house. I made as much money as guys supporting families.
    Shortly thereafter--- worked for CCC---- Continental Can Company. One of the highest paid jobs in Omaha. I started just under $7. An hour---1969. EASY job, stacking cases of empty cans ( Beer, Pop cans) on a pallet and shirk wrapping the pallet. Boring, and the constant pounding from the can machines sucked.

20. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Why? I did it for over 35 years and am retired with a nice pension, haven't owed anyone anything for over 10 years, raised 3 daughters that all have degrees and no debt from school. It was just me and my partner with a reputation of quality work and dependability. If it's being self employed that you don't like and have good skills, you shouldn't have any trouble getting hired.

Dale Sinclair original

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast