Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishing co-angler FLW

Anyone ever fished as a co angler in a FLW event? Is there a process you need to qualify or how does it work? Would be a cool bucket list kinda thing.

Just pay your money and your in if there’s no waiting list. I don’t get it being a bucket list thing.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Just pay your money and your in if there’s no waiting list. I don’t get it being a bucket list thing.
    Cause isnt entry about 1k ??? Was trying to make sense of what I read on the flw site but seems there was like a 300 deposit and 650 entry fee ?? If it was 100 bucks a pop I could take it out of my bucket list lol

4. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Anyone ever fished as a co angler in a FLW event? Is there a process you need to qualify or how does it work? Would be a cool bucket list kinda thing.
    You don't need to qualify, but if you are planning on fishing less than the whole tour you need to sign up as soon as you can. The dates are on the FLW site.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

5. Member
    So how does it work. I pay the 300 deposit and then when I arrive at the tournament I signed up for I would pay the balance of the 650 ?? I couldnt understand how it worked from the site. Seems I thought you lost the 300 if you didnt attend all of the events. They have one on Lake Cumberland that I am considering.

6. Bob G's pool boy
    So how does it work. I pay the 300 deposit and then when I arrive at the tournament I signed up for I would pay the balance of the 650 ?? I couldnt understand how it worked from the site. Seems I thought you lost the 300 if you didnt attend all of the events. They have one on Lake Cumberland that I am considering.
    If you get into the tournament, you will have to pay the balance on the balance due date, about a month before the tournament. If you don't, you get your $300 back. If you decide that you don't want to fish prior to the balance date, FLW is pretty good about refunding your deposit. Not sure if that is a guarantee or not. You won't lose any money unless you choose not to show up for the tournament that you paid for.

-Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billspence View Post
    If you get into the tournament, you will have to pay the balance on the balance due date, about a month before the tournament. If you don't, you get your $300 back. If you decide that you don't want to fish prior to the balance date, FLW is pretty good about refunding your deposit. Not sure if that is a guarantee or not. You won't lose any money unless you choose not to show up for the tournament that you paid for.
    Okay that makes more sense. Is there such a demand that they fill up ?? 650 isnt exactly pocket change so I wouldnt think they would have an excess. But heck if I know.

8. Bob G's pool boy
    Okay that makes more sense. Is there such a demand that they fill up ?? 650 isnt exactly pocket change so I wouldnt think they would have an excess. But heck if I know.
    You will get into that one if you sign up as soon as you are eligible.

-Haus

9. Member
    Cant see dropping a grand to get screwed on the back of the boat. I full well understand what they're fishing for and don't blame them for not being conscious of the guy in the back. But I dont fish the bassmaster opens for the same reason.. partially anyway

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kickinbass22 View Post
    Cant see dropping a grand to get screwed on the back of the boat. I full well understand what they're fishing for and don't blame them for not being conscious of the guy in the back. But I dont fish the bassmaster opens for the same reason.. partially anyway
    If I do it its most likely a one time deal.

[QUOTE=Axkiker;8867092]So how does it work. I pay the 300 deposit and then when I arrive at the tournament I signed up for I would pay the balance of the 650 ?? I couldnt understand how it worked from the site. Seems I thought you lost the 300 if you didnt attend all of the events. They have one on Lake Cumberland that I am considering.[/QUOTE

It is a $300 deposit with a balance of $500. $800 bucks each tournament.

12. Member
    It is worth it if you don't mind the cash. I had a blast. Co-angler spots are generally open. Once you sign up everything is through email and text. Really easy. Like any tournament you can get a tool at the front but most are legit. When I fished as a Co on the big O the first guy I had from up North had only a few days on the lake. He relied on me more than himself and we had a blast. The experience is awesome (little pressure as a co). You could get a bad draw or a really good one. Heck, guy I met at weigh in had two rods with him and a plastic bag he took on the boat as a CO. He caught a 8 and 7 on a spinner bait he did not know the name of. You just never know.

I went down with some buddies and we fun fished prior to the event. If you want to, go before and head to the ramp with a sign asking if anyone needs a partner for practice. Most times someone will stop and take you along. Give them 30 bucks for gas or something and have fun. If you have any questions drop me a message. When I grow up and retire from the Navy I am going as a boater one year for all them in my area. The excitement and pressure is fun IMO. Even as a Co... it is a whole different feeling then a local club tournament. If you got the cash go for it. You will not regret it. I mean... if you are cool with not getting any money back and look at it as fun, you will have a blast.

In the end you never know! You might draw two guys on the spots and leave with a nice check. Good luck.

13. Member
    It's a very enjoyable experience if you want it to be. If you think that you are the next kvd then stay home. If you want to see some excellent experienced fishermen with new ideas and technicks with an added chance of possibly winning some money, fish them.

I did with absolutely no regrets. Shared the boat for a day , or had indepth conversations with almost any pro you can name.

14. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    I fished 4 tournaments over 2 years back when the Costa were the Stren series. I had an absolute blast. Led 1 event for 2 days and made it to day 4 winning a nice check. Fished with some great guys and my most memorable draw was Ott Defoe. I sure wish my work schedule would allow it to happen again. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $$!

Sounds like a bucket list item to me. You may enjoy it (likely), you may not. But, it would be fun just once.
    If the boater turns out to be an a$$ just sit in the back and eat Vienna Sausage and crackers, and have a big ‘ol dip after.
    I would bet most the FLW pros are good guys. Just don’t show them up by catching a bigger stringer. Egos are a fragile thing. Especially, for some boaters.
    Let us know how it turns out. Enjoy.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    Dont get me wrong Id love the experience. Just not at a point where I can blow that amount of money. I would absolutely go in not expecting to do well (not that I wouldnt try and itd be hard for me bc im so competitive) and solely focus on the experience, learning, and having a great time. Just at this point for me its not worth it.

I would honestly prefer to marshal. About $700 less and most likely get almost the same experience aside from weighing in

17. Member
    Id recommend checking out the opens or costas as a co. A little more affordable and you can still draw a lot of elite/flw tour guys. Might be worth trying it at that price first to see if you want to drop that kinda money
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

18. Member
    My luck I'd draw some guy who wanted to run 80 miles in a cold rain, and then we would blank.

19. Member
    Ohhh yeah this is definitely not me trying to break into the pros. I have no desire for the lifestyle. I figure that since I dont really go on vacations its a chance to fish with the big boys and maybe learn a thing or two.

Your idea about finding a practice partner is something I had not thought about. I was thinking about taking my own boat to practice and then be a co for the tournament. If I found a pro to practice with it would give me a better opportunity to see how the big boys do things. I like that idea.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    Id recommend checking out the opens or costas as a co. A little more affordable and you can still draw a lot of elite/flw tour guys. Might be worth trying it at that price first to see if you want to drop that kinda money
    Ill check into that. I just happend to check the other day and saw the FLW tour would be back at Lake Cumberland and noticed the stuff about co anglers. Thought I would at least think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast