All around tool kit?

Anyone know of a good all around tool kit out there that doesn't take up much space? Would be nice to find one that would be useful for most situations you might run into while on be water.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

If you are talking about for your boat, check out West Marine for a stainless steel hand tools. I got one there years ago and keep them in the bilge area with no rust.

Duct tape, Electrical Tape, Channel lock pliers, Screwdriver head with bits, Crescent wrench, fuses, zip ties, jumper cables or a lithium jump pack, and a ratchet strap.

I think I carry enough tools to make a minor repair on the water, hopefully to get back to the dock.
    In lieu of box end wrench’s or a socket set, I picked a couple of dog bones at Harbor freight. They take up less space and they were fairly inexpensive. I know they’re not the best for a major repair but I think they will work in a pinch.
    Out of all the tools and stuff I’ve had on my boats over the years, I’ve use extra large zip ties and regular zip ties the most. I’ve used the XL zip ties to secure my TM transducer after it was knocked off and used them once to secure a bunk board that lost a lag bolt and was floating. The XL zip ties are a must.
    I carry a few other common tools but wanted to point out the dog bones and XL zip ties.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...Cf&q=Dog+bones

https://www.amazon.com/Tensile-Stren...zip+ties&psc=1

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

5. Member
    Plenty of black friday sales going on now for tool kits. Wont be as nice as stainless but probably be a lot cheaper

6. Member
    Keep the tools in a industrial size large ziploc bag.

I made my own, used a small (think 3400/3500 plano) box and just put the stuff I needed in it... 2 screw drivers, few sockets and ratchet, tape, pliers, few fuses, sheer pins, washers, nuts... just enough to get thru the day if something happens.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by lightningmusky View Post
    Keep the tools in a industrial size large ziploc bag.
    that reminded me of 1994. I bought 2 50' HD log chain with hooks, expensive, and put in a new clear large Tupperware type box.placed in step storage box on lastnew Peterbuilt I Bought.. thinking be cool to have, since ran out of MN. and if got stuck in winter have it to get tugged out.. Lucky never had to use. but day came I was cleaning truck and took it out, and the chain was not chrome anymore..friggin rusted!

9. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 11-28-2017 at 08:26 AM.

10. Member
    I made my own set using one of those plastic ammo boxes. They seal really well and it fits under my console out of the way. Just have a set of open end/box end wrenches, a crescent wrench, small socket set, a multi-tip screw driver, some wire cutters/crimping pliers, electrical tape, duck tape, spark plug socket that fits your plugs, pliers, a prop wrench, and a good assortment of crimps, cotter pins, and cable ties. You will also need a spare prop nut and spacer. Also, a lighter can come in handy.

Yard sales and flea markets. Like Johnny Cash, one piece at a time. I put a full set in my new boat for less than 20 bucks.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

I need a new tool box mine has cracked. Those multi use tools are nice in the boat. I get good use from the robo grip pliers, a multi head screw driver, and a set of commonly used sockets. Couple extra crimps, wire, , fuses and zip ties.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Thanks for asking this. I've been looking at building a kit recently. Was thinking I just need to find out what the sizes of sockets, wrenches I'd need, plus zip ties, tape, wire strippers and cutters, etc. My biggest question was...I know rust is virtually inevitable, but what do people do to prevent it as long as possible?
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    My biggest question was...I know rust is virtually inevitable, but what do people do to prevent it as long as possible?
    As someone said a plastic ammo can with a good rubber gasket plus the small desiccant packs. This has worked for me for several seasons with no rust. I do bring the kit indoors when I put the boat to bed for the winter.