Chart Select SmartStrike layer ...after the fact ...

Has anyone successfully added the SmartStrike layer to a Chart Select map card when that HD layer was previously purchased ...??

I was able to purchase the SmartStrike layer by itself by de-selecting the HD layer upon checkout (Chart Select automatically tried to add the HD layer to my cart during checkout and I didn't want to purchase the HD layer a 2nd time) ...

The SmartStrike layer is listed in the Chart Select download tool along with my previously purchased HD layer ...

1. The Chart Select download tool will not allow the SmartStrike layer to be selected by itself for download to the encrypted SD card that my previously purchased HD layer resides on ...

2. I can delete all the files on my encrypted SD card (leaving the encrypt file) and then (seemingly = it shows downloading) download the HD layer and the SmartStrike layer to the same encrypted SD card ...

3. The HD layer is indeed loaded back to the same encrypted SD card as before (map data is showing on ONIX Chart Views) ...

There are no lakes listed in my ONIX SmartStrike Menu to select - for advancing into the SmartStrike operation on the ONIX ... (which alludes that the SmartStrike layer was not downloaded to the encrypted SD card along with the HD layer) ...

Rickie

2. Member
    Di you look in the chart menu under info? Should have smartstrike as an option. Bob
    Reread your post it sounds like you were into the info menu. I have erased and redownloaded the 2D layer but not after the fact with smartstrike. Under lake list I only see the 2D map. Clicking on smartstrike I see the 4 sections of bull Shoals lake in that menu. That is when I select one and the smartstrike pops up for use. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 11-18-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: The rest of the story

3. Member
    Yes I have the SmartStrike toggle in the Info Menu under the Chart menu ...

I assume the SmartStrike window popup should list the lake purchased ...but there is nothing in the SmartStrike window ...

It seems that the SmartStrike layer must be purchased in the same bundle purchase as the HD layer ...

The only thing I haven't tried is formatting the encrypted SD card completely ... but I'm afraid deleting the "encrypt" file from the SD card will render the card unrecognizable to Chart Select as the encrypted card assigned to my previous purchases of the HD layer ...

4. Member
    If you delete the encryption you have lost the money you spent for your downloads. Of course you can encrypt it again but the code won't match what is on file. I downloaded the bundle for $15 over the 2D map. I may never utilize all the layers but thought I would see what good they could be. Busywork for me. It all works. I would call and see what they suggest. Bob

I tried the same thing, downloading the SS portion on an earlier purchase contour map. The HB website allowed me to purchase the SS module but something happened to my original SD card. Won't read in my PC or my Helix unit. Bummer. Now I'll have to repurchase that map with smart strike.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I would call and see what they suggest. Bob
    This venture started from a user question on 1 of the other electronics forums I frequent ...

The user stated he had called HB 2 different times and received 2 different answers ...

One CSR told him the SmartStrike layer could be purchased and loaded to an encrypted SD card that already had the HD layer loaded previously ...

Another CSR told him the SmartStrike layer had to be bundled with the HD layer and loaded to an encrypted SD card at the same time the HD layer is loaded to the encrypted SD card ...

The SmartStrike layer was not available when I purchased the KY Lake HD layer for my ONIX so I was trying the "after the fact" purchase of the SmartStrike layer just to see if it could be accomplished ...

As I mentioned in the OP - I was able to purchase the SmartStrike layer with our re-purchasing the HD layer again ... but ...

So far I haven't found a way to get the SmartStrike layer onto the encrypted SD card that has already been assigned an "encryption" from the previous purchase of the HD layer ...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 11-19-2017 at 09:32 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    If you delete the encryption you have lost the money you spent for your download
    I had already suspected this ... and the reason I tried deleting all the files on the encrypted SD card except the "encrypt" file ...

Rickie

8. Member
    mvinc would you have any idea why when I select smartstrike a blank screen pops up that is titled select lake and can not go any further

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish stick View Post
    mvinc would you have any idea why when I select smartstrike a blank screen pops up that is titled select lake and can not go any further
    The blank lake list in the ONIX SmartStrike Menu is the same issue I have ...

This seems to indicate (to me) that the SmartStrike layer was not successfully loaded (by itself) to the encrypted SD card ...

And I have yet to figure out how to add the SmartStrike layer to the encrypted SD card that already has the HD layer on the encrypted SD card ...

Rickie

I followed some of the info on here...deleted the old map on the SD card, redownloaded the map and Smart Strike. (my 1st card had a bad adapter but after swapping it out it worked ok). Put the newly updated SD card in my Helix 10. THEN, had to go online to figure out how to access Smart Strike as it is not listed under any menu option. Why you need to use the check mark button has me scratching my head.

Anyway, once I got that figured out and loaded the lake I was able to access the menu, select my fish and weather, hit search. Smart Strike highlighted the areas I've caught fish. Seems to be a good tool for starting out on a lake. I'll play with it some on Tues when I head to Cave Run.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

11. Member
    The check button is an enter key. Same as pushing the joystick in or touching the option on the screen. Bob
    Also pulls up the info tab on the current view. That gets you to the smartstrike option quicker I guess.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 11-19-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Also

Kinda quirky, though. I guess I need to access the SS menu via the check before moving my cursor around the map. Where ever the cursor is on the map an info screen comes up. But since i'm sitting in my house using the cursor is the only way to move around a lake. Seemed like I was chasing my tail yesterday trying to get it to work. It did highlight areas we caught fish back in October so that is promising.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret