2017 Z520C performance questions

2017 Z520C cup pkg boat. merc 250 pro xs, dual 8 ft blades... with the 25 pitch fury 3, 2.5 ptp...5650 rpms at wot, 71 mph before starting to chinewalk pretty bad... 25 pitch fury 4 , 2 ptp, 70 mph at 5720 rpms before chinewalk starts.. trim on factory gauge is a little over half to get rpms up.. what numbers are other 520c owners getting? wondering why i cant get to max rpms ??? checked hotfoot stop today, throttle wide open when hot foot hits stop!! any help or advise would be appreciated... thanks

2. BBC SPONSOR Pro's Choice Pete's Avatar
    If you measured properly and the engine is set at 2 1/2” you should be pretty darn close to where you need to be.

How is the boat loaded? Is the weight distributed properly or do you have to stomp on the front deck lids to get them shut like me and Wyatt do? Too much weight in the bow will definitely affect performance.

The Z520c can and will chine walk some. With some seat time you will learn to drive it, and will eventually get to where you don’t even think about it kind of like riding a bike.

You are definitely in your “Full throttle RPM range” of 5500 to 6000 RPM’s. A trim gauge is really just a reference point.......where is your rooster tail in relation to the top of your engine cowling? If you trim up do you lose or gain speed?
    Pro's Choice Marine's Facebook Page
    Pete's Ranger Channel
    Click on the banner to check out our website!

3. Member
    i dont have to stomp the lids to close them ... all tackle in the front center compartment...rod locker full of rods. water pressure is at 26 lbs with both props . just trying to figure out why i cant get to 6000 rpms... speed isnt a big deal to me...too old for that. just trying to get the boat to run up to its potential..rooster tail not to top of cowl, but the walking gets consistently worse...

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbecnel View Post
    i dont have to stomp the lids to close them ... all tackle in the front center compartment...rod locker full of rods. water pressure is at 26 lbs with both props . just trying to figure out why i cant get to 6000 rpms... speed isnt a big deal to me...too old for that. just trying to get the boat to run up to its potential..rooster tail not to top of cowl, but the walking gets consistently worse...
    Motor is way to deep on JP if you can't drive through the chiming they don't set then at the plant they just stick the motor on and the door she goes bring it up and I promise you'll see the bulk of that chitt leave......

5. Member
    i have raised it... set at 2.5 with the fury 3 and 2 with the fury 4 basically the same numbers, a little slower with the 4 blade. which i expected..

6. Banned
    They will chine just bump down a smidge on the trim but you are running pretty solid...keep with that fury 3 and 73 is in there somewhere

7. Member
    bbecbel, I have a 520C same setup w/ 10'blades. I am loaded to the hilt w/ 40 rods and a tackle shop on board. All compartments LOADED. Livewell plugged and full to the lids. Put you JP on rear Atlas tape @ 3 and leave it. Get up on plane and start trimming. My trim gauge is almost to the far right line which puts my roster tail at the top of the engine cowl. Will do 71+. When all empty will do 73+. When it start to chin pull the handle sharply right for just a couple degrees (more just like a little jerk) and it will stabilize. Loose is FAST!

8. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

9. Member
    thanks for the info guys . think ill swap out the slidemaster with an atlas, and plenty seat time.

your tach could be wrong as well, 71 is a decent number
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Should be getting his RPM's from the Smartcraft instrument, Ranger has been using it in place of a stand alone tachometer several years now.

sorry
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Member
    yes, rpms from smartcraft. speed from gps

14. Member
    Brian: be sure to read Ghost's thread. He taught me how to run the 520C. He's the Ranger Whisperer and a dang good guy too!!!!
    Last edited by bbbill; 11-18-2017 at 04:55 PM.

15. Member
    thanks everybody... put the fury 3 back on, plate at 2.5 ptp gonna give it hell!!!! at least till i put the atlas on then we ll see