1977 85hp Johnson rectifier wiring

83EL77S
    J4758585
    I bought a new rectifier and got it in the mail today. The old rectifier had one red, one yellow, and one yellow with a gray stripe. The new one I received has one red and two yellow. How do I tell which yellow goes to which post? I appreciate your help.

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If it is a CDI, I think they say it doesn't matter which yellow goes to which yellow...straight from CDI website,,

1. Disconnect and remove the old rectifier.2. Install the replacement rectifier using the original bolts. Be sure to insert the Black wire’s fork terminal under one ofthe mounting screws for a ground connection.3. Connect the yellow wires from the new rectifier to the yellow wires from the stator (ignore any stripes on the statorwires as the new rectifier does not require the yellow wires to be connected to any particular wire from the stator).4. Connect the gray tachometer wire with one of the yellow wires.5. Connect the Red wire to the terminal strip with the Red wire from the stator solenoid’s positive battery post.
    6. Connect the engine’s negative cable to the negative post of the battery

http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-con...S-153-3408.pdf

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    If it is CDI, most folks haven't had good luck when mixing CDI parts with OEM parts. I have never used one of their rectifiers so your results may differ. Just remember to un-hook battery first and use nuts and washers instead of wing nuts.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't matter Stator voltage is AC you you can connect to either or the terminal strips. Your choice. As far as the yellow's go.

5. Member
    Ok, I just hooked it up. Going to try to run it this weekend see what it reads.

6. Member
    Ran the boat today, still reading over 17volts... I have a new battery and a new rectifier.

7. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Put a multimeter that is known to be accurate and check while at speed, at the battery. My depth sounder is 1 volt different than my multimeter.

8. Member
    I put the multimeter on it while running yesterday, I wasn't going full throttle, approx 3/4 throttle, the multi was reading 16.9v

The rectifier has nothing to do with the high voltage that you see. It only changes the voltage from AC to pulsing DC but does not affect the battery voltage.

On those unregulated systems the battery size and capacity is the "regulator" and keeps the voltage lower. Turning the running lights on also helps to bleed off the excess voltage or you can obtain the CDI Electronics rectifier/regulator kit they have that bolts right in the same place.

Installing a larger battery such as a group 27 deep cycle or a group 30/31 helps or you can put another battery in parallel with your existing one. Do not use sealed or maintenance free batteries with unregulated charging systems.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    My older 200 crossflow has a rectifier and voltage regulator. Maybe the pro's can chime in. Would this work with this motor as an add on since he cant seem to lower the voltage?????? Part number 173640. Obsolete but still see on Ebay. I am learning here as well..

https://www.ebay.com/i/231483985666?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

CDI's regulated rectifier-

https://www.ebay.com/i/231483985666?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

For around $70, I would probably chance a CDI part and go that route but just for curiosity's sake, would the OMC rectifier off the 200 work if needed??