TR186 top speed problem

Hi, a friend of mine has a '05 tr186 with a '12 Mercury Optimax 150hp (standard version, no pro xs).
    Boat has 6" hydraulic jack and dual console. My friend tried several setup with different props but his top speed is only 55mph.
    I have the same boat with 150 VMax HPDI and my top speed is 64mph: 8" jack and single console.
    Could the different outboard and dual console cause 9mph difference in top speed?
    My friend's boat had some deep hull scratch before he bought it. Scratch was repaired but some big portion of gel coat had to be replaced. Also the hull was totally repaint. I do believe that this repair, if not properly done, could have cause the top speed lost. Unfortunately we never tried the boat before the repair.
    What do you think?
    Marco

I have an 08 with an 08 150 Optimax. I have seen 61 once or twice but that was perfect conditions with a light load. Most of the time I see 58-59. Dual console is going to slow him down a bit. I have a 6" manual plate with a 23p Trophy+ What prop is he running and at what RPMs when he gets his 55mph. Also, are these speeds on the speedo or via GPS. If there from the speedo then the most likely cause is that those things never read accurately.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Sounds like he had a boat with blisters on the hull and they had to remove some gel coat and repair the hull. If it wasn't done right it will cost you some speed.

4. Member
    I see he's got a hydraulic jack so motor height should not be an issue but what's his rpm and which prop is he running, 2 of the most important factors in speed. Is he running fully trimmed out? Scratches shouldn't slow you down that much, scuffing the pad reduces surface water tension, polishing and waxing the pad can slow you down do to the increased surface water tension. If I ever had to fix or recoat the bottom of my boat I would go with something like hullspeed, something that's meant to be used on the bottom.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I have an 08 with an 08 150 Optimax. I have seen 61 once or twice but that was perfect conditions with a light load. Most of the time I see 58-59. Dual console is going to slow him down a bit. I have a 6" manual plate with a 23p Trophy+ What prop is he running and at what RPMs when he gets his 55mph. Also, are these speeds on the speedo or via GPS. If there from the speedo then the most likely cause is that those things never read accurately.
    ditto on my '02, same set up
    Michael J. Koenig

6. Member
    I'm running 2003 DC 186 with a 2016 175 pro xs. 6in z-lock jack set at roughly 2 1/2in with a 24. Cool weather I run consistently 68-70.5mph @5900rpm with full tourney load and 1/2 tank of fuel. With my partner I run 66-68 empty and 63-64 with the livewells full. Triton's like the engine high rooster tail should be half up the engine no higher than the top of your cowling. Smaller bass boats are very weight sensitive so keep that in mind with tackle and storage, had a 150 ficht on it before the Opti and it would run 59-63 tops. Anything over 60 with a 150 is not bad at all 23p tempest is the prop to run unless their is extremely heavy load on the boat all the time.