Thread: Duck News

Duck News

Season opens here tomorrow and we are ready....the ducks, not so much. As always some locations here have some and some don't. We don't.......so far. A front is one the way however. How about you?

Ours opened last Saturday. Plenty of woodies are first light. We had just gotten our first good cold front. Been in the 30 at night all week. Saw a few ducks on the lake for the first time this week so I am hopeful for tomorrow.

Good luck
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Been hearing speckle bellies flying over while deer hunting. Our season opens Thanksgiving morning. We always shoot a limit of green wing teal and gadwalls on opening morning, but it goes south quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    Been hearing speckle bellies flying over while deer hunting. Our season opens Thanksgiving morning. We always shoot a limit of green wing teal and gadwalls on opening morning, but it goes south quickly.
    So, I'm from down there and my parents live in Barkley but I never knew there were speckleberry geese in the area. Grew up hunting the bottoms outside of Henderson and aside from the occassional Snow it was all Canadas. Of course, all we did was run around the swamps looking for ducks. Very interesting. I'll be moving back in a few years so I hope my duck hunting prospects improve from what we have in here Raleigh. Good luck.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    We don't shoot speckle bellies except late in the season around Hickman. They were just flying over. Ballard County boys shoot some I believe.

I hope others are doing better than me. Hit the same hole on Sat that we were on opening day and never fired a shot. Saw some but nothing in range. Hunted a different spot today that look primo but never saw a bird. On guy near us shot twice. Heard a couple of others in the distance. I just don't think we have anything other than resident birds in the area right now.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    Opening day came and went. As usual, some blinds on the lake did well to just OK (quotes). Mixture of birds included lots of wooducks, but few mallards. Sunday came with clear skys and cooler weather. Lots of high ducks and geese, with some of the ducks coming into the danger zone. Buddy and I did well with a wide variety of birds. May not get back before the second split, however. And you?

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. Duck hunting is a T-Day tradition for me. Mom and dad are here. Dad doesn't want to wade out with us at 70 but son and I will be after them. Coming home to mom's cooking and football. Looking forward to it. Good luck to everyone and more importantly, stay safe out there.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-triton View Post
    We don't shoot speckle bellies except late in the season around Hickman. They were just flying over. Ballard County boys shoot some I believe.
    We killed a few at Ballard. The damn things always wanted to come in at the end of shooting hours
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

10. Member
    There ain't shit right now for ducks or geese in western NE
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

We had a nice flurry of woodies right at first light yesterday. Quick shooting as the dropped into the creek. Manged to down a couple and a kid I have been taking scored his first bird.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow