Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I nuts going for a new boat? Should I stick to used?

Hi guys,

I guess I just need to talk this out with fellow fishermen... call this venting if you will lol! Backstory - I bought my first "serious" fishing boat a couple of years ago, in the sense that it had a trolling motor, electronics, console and a livewell as opposed to just a tin jon boat with a 9.9 on it. My boat is a small 16.5" tin boat with a 50HP Merc 4 stroke on it. I love my boat, it's super cheap on gas, paid it cash and because it's not a super expensive boat with super expensive paint job, I'm not afraid to be a bit rough with it and it definitely has some scratches on the hull from rocks and trees. So why look for another boat? Storage is almost non existent. I have a double livewell, a 2 battery compartment up front for the TM, a single battery compartment in the back for the main, and a 7' rod locker on the side that is filled with the bumpers, safety gear, spare paddle and lights etc. So I have zero room to store rods, tackle, clothing, lifevests, cooler etc, everything has to be organized on the deck. The other thing is I do have a family that enjoys water sports and while the 50 does the job, there's no chance I can start throwing people off a tube rounding corners lol!

So I am now shopping for a boat that has everything I love about my boat, but would like more power, more storage and if I REALLY get spoiled, power poles. I fish rough water and current a lot and usually have family with me AND I launch in sand and gravel a lot so want to stick to a tin boat multi-species style deep hull. I went shopping at a local marina and I can't believe the cost of new boats! They had a fully loaded 2016 new Ranger FS 620 that was GORGEOUS, cost in Canadian was $106k! Anything in the 20' area in what I am looking for is in the 60k MINIMUM range, fully equipped was more like 80k. I did see one config I really liked, 18.5' tin boat with TONS of storage, all the bells and whistles I want with a 150 merc for about 45k and they would give me 11K for my current boat. Again, bear in mind prices are Canadian. Also Bass boats are hard to find here... you can't go to a Marina or boat dealer or the huge Cabelas in Ottawa and expect to see a bunch of bass boats, you're lucky to see 1.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger but I'm wondering if I should just pump the brakes and take my time and make an effort to keep an eye on a gem used. So debating... save money and get a used boat that is similar to what I saw brand new, or go new and be covered by a nice warranty. I just find the cost of new boats to be crazy, but I really like the idea of having a warranty. The boat I am looking at has the 3 year merc warranty and the boat is 5 years, lifetime warranty on the floors and transom. Also if I buy the new one, they will transfer all of my electronics and TM to the new boat for free, install the power poles for free and provide me storage for the first winter for free.

I change my truck every 3 to 4 years, always new. I refuse to drive a vehicle that isn't under warranty as it's just too critical for me. My boat and my motorcycles have all been used and *knock on wood* I haven't had any problems yet.

The other issue is if I buy new, I have to pay a shitton of sales tax... 15%. If I buy used, I can avoid paying a lot of taxes.

Decisions decisions...

EDIT - This is the boat I am looking at right now: https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/pr...90-DLX-WS.aspx
    Last edited by DanR; 11-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.

2. Member
    You can always make more money but never get back time. 3 years ago I pulled the trigger on what I wanted for a long time and It has been awesome! Not one regret and I enjoy fishing more because I have what I want. If it is in your price range I would get it. Once you get it hit a stump or something and it will then be your boat. LOL.. Best of luck.

3. Member
    Find a good one owner boat of what ur looking for and save some money..

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

4. Member
    DanR,

We had quite a few discussions when you were buying your first boat.

Truth is, I’m in the same predicament. I sold my boat in October and am looking to buy/order in January and yes, the new ones out there are expensive.

If you’re looking for a bass boat, talks to Moe at Pirate Cove about Phoenix, Paolo or Dave arc aim marine (not far from the Cabelas in Ottawa) I’d go see Orleans boatworld for Ranger.

Moe also has a few old model year multi species Lund’s and some newer Lund Impacts that would do well for you I would think, not sure if the prices.

And Raisin River marina has a Bass Tracker 195 with a 150 fourstroke. Their mechanic was actually quite impressed with the first one they sold so they brought in another. It’s just under $40,000 but you’d probably want to add a few more things.

As for me, I’m looking at new. I want warranty and used Bass boats up here exactly how I want them don’t come up very often. I went and priced out what I wanted from the dealers I mentioned above and am currently saving for a decent down payment. Pretty sure I’m going with an evinrude G2 because if the 10 year warranty they are currently offering.

5. Member
    If your in a position to buy a new boat and it not hurt you finacially then you should do what makes you the happiest.

6. Member
    What's the details on the 45k one?

Brand? Layout? Options etc?
    Sounds like a solid deal with a 150 4 stroke

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richhat52 View Post
    If your in a position to buy a new boat and it not hurt you finacially then you should do what makes you the happiest.
    X2

dont know if glass will work for you but a good 18.5 glass with 150 hp is far better then what you have now and has a reasonable price. Phoenix. Ranger. Triton. Basscat. See what layout you like

Go new or find 2 year old with 40 hours on it

have not fished Canada for 20 years but 18.5 would work for what I was doing.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. Banned
    Chris and Cory Johnson were selling a 522 d with every option for 85

Sounds like what you need is an all purpose tin boat. Look at the new Ranger Tin boat if you're going new. If you go used, I'd look at Lund. I've had 5 Rangers and never bought one new. But I take my time and only buy one that I like and fits my needs. Good luck on your quest !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Based on where you live and the waters that are nearby, sounds to me like you want a Lund 1875 Pro-V Bass. I'm in the camp that says if you are going to spend that much money, then buy new. Sure you can save a few grand getting a used one but you might be also be getting someone else's problems. What's the drill on sales taxes for a used boat in Quebec? Here in Ontario, you get sent a letter asking you to prove you paid sales taxes on the boat. They know you bought one because the Feds let them know you registered the boat.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richhat52 View Post
    Yep

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Based on where you live and the waters that are nearby, sounds to me like you want a Lund 1875 Pro-V Bass. I'm in the camp that says if you are going to spend that much money, then buy new. Sure you can save a few grand getting a used one but you might be also be getting someone else's problems. What's the drill on sales taxes for a used boat in Quebec? Here in Ontario, you get sent a letter asking you to prove you paid sales taxes on the boat. They know you bought one because the Feds let them know you registered the boat.
    If that’s a boat you’re looking at, Pirate Cove has a demo (that one has a 150) and another in stock as well as a 2075 Pro V bass. I looked at them all quite seriously.

As for sales tax, it’s the same in Quebec. But if you buy in Ontario, you don’t pay quebec taxes right away. They do the same thing as you described above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    DanR,

We had quite a few discussions when you were buying your first boat.

Truth is, I’m in the same predicament. I sold my boat in October and am looking to buy/order in January and yes, the new ones out there are expensive.

If you’re looking for a bass boat, talks to Moe at Pirate Cove about Phoenix, Paolo or Dave arc aim marine (not far from the Cabelas in Ottawa) I’d go see Orleans boatworld for Ranger.

Moe also has a few old model year multi species Lund’s and some newer Lund Impacts that would do well for you I would think, not sure if the prices.

And Raisin River marina has a Bass Tracker 195 with a 150 fourstroke. Their mechanic was actually quite impressed with the first one they sold so they brought in another. It’s just under $40,000 but you’d probably want to add a few more things.

As for me, I’m looking at new. I want warranty and used Bass boats up here exactly how I want them don’t come up very often. I went and priced out what I wanted from the dealers I mentioned above and am currently saving for a decent down payment. Pretty sure I’m going with an evinrude G2 because if the 10 year warranty they are currently offering.
    Hi Lape! Yes I remember :) I'm still thinking thinking I want a deep hull multi-species boat and the one I am looking at is a Princecraft model at Thomas Marine, they've really upped their game to compete with Lund and Legend boats. During the summer I do a lot of family outings with 4 or sometimes even 5 people in the boat and a bass boat layout just doesn't accommodate that made people like a multi-species does. What's cool on the one I am looking at is that the entire back row of seating folds over and becomes a large rear casting deck, which is REALLY nice!

I was thinking of checking Raisin River as well, I really like their service.. they're the ones that did my first winterization and did the remounting of my outboard when I noticed it was too low and causing performance issues. And you're right about those G2s, their warranty is just unmatched! I love my Merc though, it's been very solid and I have confidence in that company. TBH where I am buying it I'm not even sure they carry them, I will have to ask. I believe that Princecraft partnered up with Mercury, all of their boats are merc powered, they come delivered from Princecraft with the motor already installed, it's not done by the dealership.

I'll be in Ottawa this weekend or next, maybe I'll visit a dealer or two if they are open on the weekend. Around here everything is closed Sundays and half days on Saturday.

Thanks so much for your input, always nice to get your feedback.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    What's the details on the 45k one?

Brand? Layout? Options etc?
    Sounds like a solid deal with a 150 4 stroke
    Hi Boondock,

It is a Princecraft tin boat, it's a HUGE brand in Quebec, you see them here more than any other brand available. Here is the exact model I am looking at:

https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/pr...90-DLX-WS.aspx

Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    X2

dont know if glass will work for you but a good 18.5 glass with 150 hp is far better then what you have now and has a reasonable price. Phoenix. Ranger. Triton. Basscat. See what layout you like

Go new or find 2 year old with 40 hours on it

have not fished Canada for 20 years but 18.5 would work for what I was doing.
    The only reason I didn't want to go glass is because in the summer where I camp, the boat launches are not nice ramps with docks so you're always beaching on rocky/gravel beaches etc. The poor glass will take a beating!

Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    If that’s a boat you’re looking at, Pirate Cove has a demo (that one has a 150) and another in stock as well as a 2075 Pro V bass. I looked at them all quite seriously.

As for sales tax, it’s the same in Quebec. But if you buy in Ontario, you don’t pay quebec taxes right away. They do the same thing as you described above.
    That's not how it worked for my last boat at all... I registered my trailer and that was it. I never got a letter or anything and never paid a cent in taxes. I did the power of attorney form at the SAAQ and simply put that I bought the boat for a dollar. There's no bluebook values etc, just like a motorcycle older than 10 years old. Owner was fine with it. :) Err... I mean I *heard* you can do that

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    That's what I'm looking for, except looking Princecraft, a brand made in Quebec that is very popular, and is also the brand of my current boat.

18. Member
    I would seriously look at the new Lund tin Bassboats

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Hi Boondock,

It is a Princecraft tin boat, it's a HUGE brand in Quebec, you see them here more than any other brand available. Here is the exact model I am looking at:

https://www.princecraft.com/us/en/pr...90-DLX-WS.aspx

Thanks,
    Dan
    really nice rig, could be a little wider but other than that it's sweet. A guy here in Colorado has a 19 and change princecraft that looks fiberglass but is alum. Really nice rig. He has had it for 15 ish years I bet.

The one you linked is similar to mine. I have a lund impact 1775 with a 115 (wish it had a 150 but is only rated to 125).
    family loves our boat.
    I think your on the right track. Bass boats with a family is rough. Plus the cold and waves make it suck. Don't miss my bass boat

20. Member
    DanR,

Email Moe at Pirate cove. I can PM you his email. They are open part of Saturday but are closed on Sundays.

Like I wrote above, he’s got both the Pro V bass XS models in stock and they seat 4. It’s the reason I looked at them so hard.

He’s also got a few Lund Impacts that can be ordered with that fold down back seat. I actually did a tournament out of one on St. Francis and was amazed at the room at the back of the boat.

As for princecraft, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those boats. And yeah, they pretty much always have a Merc on the back these days. The same goes for Lund but Pirate Cove with out whatever you want on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast