Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Composite or wood in transom ?

Hi guys !

Just bought this boat and I’m curious to what’s in the transom . 1999 G3 185 Pro G . Ive been told it was built by Skeeter . Anybody know ????

thx

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Even if no one knows. It will need the same care and upkeep. Water intrusion will kill composites also.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    If water intrusion will kill composites also , why not just use plywood ?

4. Banned
    Because we assume composite is waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Even if no one knows. It will need the same care and upkeep. Water intrusion will kill composites also.
    That is false, Plywood , even marine grade has a much higher water absorption rate tan say Coosa or Penske board which are damn near impervious to water. These are the most common transom materials. I do not remember the exact percentage but it is not of any concern compared to wood. With that said any core material should be protected every way possible and that does not mean using marine silicone sealant to protect core. I just shake my head when I see it used for an outboard install.
    Proud Army Dad

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    That is false, Plywood , even marine grade has a much higher water absorption rate tan say Coosa or Penske board which are damn near impervious to water. These are the most common transom materials. I do not remember the exact percentage but it is not of any concern compared to wood. With that said any core material should be protected every way possible and that does not mean using marine silicone sealant to protect core. I just shake my head when I see it used for an outboard install.
    What should be used?

Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post

Dude, I won’t comparing materials...you care for your transom the same no matter what it’s made out of. So my statement is NOT false. I guess the boat at the shop we were putting a transom in last week really didn’t need to be replaced because it was “composite”. Water intrusion around the engine mounting holes killed it....
    Last edited by crank68; 11-18-2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Uneducated
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okumacaptain View Post
    Hi guys !

Just bought this boat and I’m curious to what’s in the transom . 1999 G3 185 Pro G . Ive been told it was built by Skeeter . Anybody know ????

thx

Mark
    Does not have wood.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun21x View Post
    What should be used?
    Juicy fruit.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    For Marinetechnician:

It would be great if you would give us your opinion on what should be used to protect the core composite of our boats. Silicone is usually a pretty good sealant but if there is a better component, why not give us a solution? I for one, would appreciate knowing what is the best sealant.

On freshwater about any good brand silicone will work fine. If your in saltwater then you can reach for higher grades of silicone. We are continually using more Urethane sealant like your vehicles windshield is installed with. Our success rate has been extremely high and the products vary like silicone in quality. We do not feel Urethane may be suitable for long term saltwater, though we have not tested it in saltwater and have seen no reason with our product use pattern. Other than Australia our products see limited saltwater use.

As for composite vs. wood transom or use, we disagree. Spongy products are spongy. If a product weighs more per square foot, then density is tighter and there is less absorption. It is our opinion, from testing we have done in submersion, that Urethane products (Coosa) retain more water per cubic inch of area than do wooden products that are heavier. Various Plywood was tested in comparison to various densities of Urethane boards in common accessibility at this time.

Once the composite board gets saturated, then the flex softens the cell structure and the compression of those cells with flex is what destroys the integrity, as the water increases pressure inside the material. This is true with both Wood and Urethane we found. More water equals more degradation. Thus our strive to develop fiberglass non absorbing products in those areas.

BCB

12. Member
    So if I read you right , Why not use solid glass for transom ? Too brittle ?

Quote Originally Posted by David g View Post
    For Marinetechnician:

It would be great if you would give us your opinion on what should be used to protect the core composite of our boats. Silicone is usually a pretty good sealant but if there is a better component, why not give us a solution? I for one, would appreciate knowing what is the best sealant.
    I work in the salt water environment. Silicone is the worst product that could be used period. If I caught anyone in our boatyard using we would be having a sit down. We are a Pursuit dealer and they use 5200 to install outboards. This seems a little overkill but they never have transom issues either. All the transoms we have had to replace (mostly grady whites) caused by bedding issues. I installed my jackplate on my ranger with Life Caulk. There is so much surface I didn't dare use 4200 which is what we use to mount all outboards and anything else being mounted on a transom. We see so many bad transoms due to poor bedding. It's really sad and there is absolutely no need for it. Any thru hull fittings and thru hull transducers get 5200. It's your boat and you can use whatever you like but if you come to our yard , no silicone sorry.
    Proud Army Dad

Also we service hundreds of boat a year. Never once have we seen water absorption or a failure in a composite transom.
    Proud Army Dad

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Okumacaptain View Post
    So if I read you right , Why not use solid glass for transom ? Too brittle ?
    I know ranger uses a material they invented call pulltrusion that's dam strong! It's almost impossible to drill through and will destroy a ss scew if not pre drilled. I'm pretty sure its fiberglass compressed with thousands of pounds of pressure. Very impressive stuff.

There are many types of composite materials used in transom. Eastern boat which we are also a dealer for used a honeycomb material that was stiff as all get out but tough to do any repairs on. Coosa only has a 1% water absorption rate , plywood is old news. We use Bluewater 26 , awesome stuff.
    Last edited by marinetechnician; 11-18-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    Proud Army Dad

Plywood/fiberglass is a composite. Cornbread is a composite too.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

18. Member
    I used Life Caulk on mine and got poo-pooed here for it a couple years earlier. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Plywood/fiberglass is a composite. Cornbread is a composite too.
    Now I remember why it is I come back to this place year after year!

What???????? Are you an engineer?????????

Some may need to look up the definition of composite.....I had to..........so it would really by handy to know what the 'composite' is made up of!!!!

NOUN

composites (plural noun)

• a thing made up of several parts or elements:

2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

20. Member
    Actually I am pretty sure alli ss is an engineer.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast