Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I've been there. Here's what I did. #1 cut EVERYTHING that isn't a necessity- cable, etc. #2 review all bills and see what can cut back like internet speed, certain insurances, cell phones, etc. heck it if you have enough equity in a vehicle, trade it in and buy used vehicle for price of equity thus eliminating that loan companies lately and keeping vehicle. #3 make a budget. You have to figure out how much you'll be short after all cuts. Look for some type of employment to cover that shortage at a minimum. With holidays coming, it might be a seasonal job at a retail store. #4- make a list of big and medium ticket items you can sell to raise some cash and/or eliminate debt. You might have to sell cheaper than you'd like but if you can break even that's great. Live to fight another day. I sold a piece of property that was my dream below market value. It sucked but that decision was one of the major things that kept us going. It's all replaceable. #5- I'm sure this will be highly disputed and criticized, but I applied and got 2 new credit cards with as high a limit as I could. They were for emergencies and that included keeping house if necessary. My thought was if worse came to worse, I'll buy myself some time using the cc. It is what it is. If the boat is going to sink, I'm not worrying about cutting a hole in it if I think that might help saving it. What's the difference in a sunk boat and a sunk boat with a hole in it?
    Last edited by barbarian; 11-17-2017 at 10:46 AM.

2. Member
    If you are sure you will be fired, try to ask your current employer to wait until the first of a month so your healthcare lasts until that end of the following month.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    When life gets hectic, I always break it down into the things I can control and the things I can't. Then break down the things I can control into options. Make it simple.

Boat? do you owe more than it's worth? Sell it or let it get reposed. With the time of year, you may not have a choice. And yes if it is reposed, you will owe any difference on the bank selling it cheap.

Mortgage, call the bank see what options they will give you. If not, it's nice to say you're not going to lose that rate, buts lets be honest, beggars can't be choosy and you without the means to pay you become a beggar. It's does take time for the foreclosure process to work out, which will give you time to get your finances in better shape.

Not sure about other debts you owe, but bankruptcy may be a good idea. Keep it simple, cut what bills you can, find work or the bills will cut you off.

You live week to week, paycheck to paycheck, but, spent the last 18 months adding to your home to make it a dream home? After you get through this mess wether it's bankruptcy or other means, I hope you will do things a little different next time.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    I know he has taken some heat on there but go and practice the dave ramsey philosophy. My wife and I were were (still are living with a small amount of student loans) but we have followed his plan and having a budget makes our life peaceful. You may have to check your ego at the door and take something that just puts money on the table, sign up for uber, companies are hiring seasonal employees right now.

There’s a lot of seasonal work right now. Don’t be afraid to swallow your pride to be able to make ends meet.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    He is a welder,(what his facebook says),,,,,,,,,,good welders should never be un-employed. Someone always needs one.
    Last edited by omcforever; 11-17-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    He is a welder,,,,,,,,,,,good welders should never be un-employed. Someone always needs one.

This all day long. If you have the skill set you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    He is a welder,(what his facebook says),,,,,,,,,,good welders should never be un-employed. Someone always needs one.
    If this is true then a job could be had the next day. Some welders make damn good money around here. Being from IL as you are, I would think a decent Welding job should be available somewhere.

9. Member
    May have to move but being a welder, or any skilled trade you should be able to secure a job rather quickly.
    I wish you the best of luck in the future.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=856225

This member is looking for a used Nitro Z 7, sell him yours for payoff. Good luck

11. Member
    https://ratracerebellion.com
    https://www.takl.com
    https://www.taskrabbit.com

Three websites that are big for people working in the "gig economy". You've got plenty of advise already on cutting back expenses without anymore. Prayers brother.

12. Member
    Study up on how to respond to future employers on why you were let go from your past position, know what to say and what not say. My aunt was let go from her previous job over petty stuff and she could not find a job for 8 months because she was answering the new employer interview questions wrong regarding her former position. My sister who is a HR guru worked with her and she was hired on the next interview she went on. Also know your rights on what this employer can and can not disclose, a lot of time if a new employer calls and asks and tries to pry but in reality they can only say you worked there from date a to date b. Clean up any social media that may have extreme religous, political or what you think is funny stuff.

13. Member
    If it's truly that dire liquidate EVERYTHING you own.
    Boat, vehicles, house, jewelry, fishing gear, testicles - all gone.
    Restructure by renting an efficiency, cheap transportation, etc.
    Move quickly and your credit will stay intact and you'll cover.
    Don't move fast and it will be out of your control and ugly.

Forget your past lifestyle, look at the future only - go, go, go.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sounds like you did something extreme to get put on unpaid suspension. Hopefully your employer will give you one more chance and take you back. If you were terminated then it may take a while before unemployment kicks in. I got laid off in 2013 got a great severance package, and had a job with in a few days luckily. If you have skills you should have no problem securing gainful employment. Good luck. Worse case you can move to Worcester MA and get a job in their local government. They pay killer wages.

15. Member
    There is a lot of good advice posted on here, hope you take it and good luck.

16. Member
    Hard to advise because not much info is provided.

But I see taht you are in Hanna City, Il, a small town near Peoria. If you don't find a good job there, you may need to find a job in Chicago, or another large city.

If you can't collect unemployment, and cant find a good job....you can probably obtain some holiday work, especially in retail, or driving a UPS truck, etc.

I went through a tough divorce some years ago, and ended up with large credit card bills. I swallowed my pride and took a second job in retail with Sears. That's when Sears paid a decent commission.

The Post office may also hire seasonal workers.

Just consider yourself as"in between good jobs."

They say that it's always easier to find a job if you already have a job.

I don't know if you have a college degree...if you do, there may be some jobs as a substitute teacher in high school, etc. Again, consider such jobs as temporary.

17. Member
    Sorry to hear about this. Here are some steps to take:
    1. Keep a record of all interactions with your employer. Dates, times, what they said, what you said in return, etc. It is one thing to say before an administrative law judge, "They said I could have unemployment". It's another to say, "On November 21 2017 at 3:25 PM, Joe (boss) said I could have unemployment".
    2. Some employers will contest an unemployment claim, some won't. If you were suspended for being repeatedly late to work, it will be hard for the employer to get away with denying an unemployment claim. If you were suspended for making threats of violence against a coworker (not accusing you, just for discussion sake), they can invoke a "termination for cause" provision.
    3. Keep up the payments on your credit card(s). They can be a lifeline in times like this.
    4. Yes, the boat has to go. Start cleaning the bleep out of it...take all your gear out, clean it six ways to Sunday, Armor All on the tires etc. People are looking for deals on boats 365 days a year.
    5. There is a lack of skilled workers today and this is not the same job market as the dark days of early 2009. If you have a transferable skill, you should land quickly. Some folks mentioned you were a welder? There should be no problem.
    6. Brush up on your resume and Linkedin profile. I will be happy to help you with that...pm me with details and we'll get started.
    7. There is a very specific process to preparing for a job interview. I will help you with that as well so that you ace every interview and get the job you want.
    8. Do I sound cocky? Well, perhaps. I'm sales with clients being Fortune 100 executives....they are TOUGH customers. Getting a new job is very much like sales as you are "selling" yourself to a new employer. Sales is actually nothing like late-night infomercials where the pitchman is screaming, "If you call in the next 20 minutes, we'll double the offer. But you HAVE TO CALL NOW!" A hint, to effectively sell, in sales meetings I am a shop vac, not a leaf blower. Asking good questions is the single most effective sales tool on the planet.
    9. October of 2009, my best friend lost his job and was in deep sh!t. I revamped his resume, coached him on how to get an interview, how to ace the interview and the secret post-interview tip that blows employers out of the water. My buddy was one of 119 applicants for the job and his aptitude score was actually far from the top. He got the job because of what he did AFTER the interview.
    10. I do not charge for any of this. All I would ask is that you pay it forward and help someone else some day.

18. Banned
    Over 50 ? Wait till u see all the age discrimination....that don't exist��...... if your white,u need to fine a protected class white...jus sayin.

I dont know how far you are from Paducah, Ky but we need welders now at work. If your interested at all PM me for the info.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

20. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    Over 50 ? Wait till u see all the age discrimination....that don't exist��...... if your white,u need to fine a protected class white...jus sayin.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast