On Board Charger Mount Location Screw Hole

Hey guys/gals, I just installed a new minn kota 315D 3 bank charger in my 198 last night and everything went well, except now I am worrying that I may have drilled one of the holes too deep for the fasteners. I am probably over analyzing this, but the screws I used were maybe 1.5"long and the screw hole that I am worried about was maybe 2.0- 2.5" deep. I don't think I screwed through the bottom of the boat because I cannot see daylight, but the spot I drilled is right over a trailer bunk. Can anybody tell me about how deep I could drill before going through bottom of boat...just to help ease my mid hopefully. (please see pic...its the top right screw I believe). Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Take the screw out and stick a wire or coat hanger or something in there. You'll know whether or not you are touching fiberglass or carpet at the bottom of the hole.

Next time, use a 3/4 or 1" screw. You don't need as much as you think to keep that charger from moving around.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

3. Member
    ok thanks. I put a smaller drill bit in there and couldn't really tell. I may just take it to the lake and see if it leaks lol.

4. Member
    You might not see the leak if the screw is sealing the hole but the water may still be getting in the fiberglass coring. I'd pull the screw, fill the hole with black 5200 or black epoxy and start over. It will take you 5 minutes but you'll know it's right. If the hole did go all of the way through you will have a tiny black dot on the hull that you will never notice when you are done.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

5. Member
    Ok...thanks.

6. Member
    I'm Going to pull the screw while im fishing this weekend to see if it is even leaking.

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Even if it is not leaking, I would do as Marshfly suggested....your drilled hole could have gone into the cloth and would make a weak spot. Doing as he said will protect you from future issues.

8. Member
    ok thank you yall. I went to the lake earlier and it was not leaking.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Next time you drill a hole in your boat wrap a piece of masking tape at the desired depth you want to drill and use that as a depth gauge.

You can also get drill stops at McMaster Carr. Any size. Cheap.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419