Question about trolling motor shaft length

About to pull the trigger on an ultrex and cant decide between 45" or 52". Im coming from a motorguide digital. The model number is motorguide 9bt42gaaf. When googled that says its a 45" shaft. When physically measured from the top of the motor to where the shaft goes in the head its 42"???? I assume thats where the 42 in the model number came from. I have read a few conflicting reports on how to measure shaft length. One says to measure how i did the other says its the extra length that is in the motor and head. How is the ultrex measured compared to the old digital. I don't want a foot of shaft sticking up while I'm fishing but i do need a few extra inches from what i had as the prop will very occasionally barely come out when the lake is rolling.

A 45" fortrex has the same amount of shaft below the top cap as a 45" ultrex, so both will have 3" more than your mg, now, if you were to buy a 52" ultrex a mk service shop can shorten it about 3" with no issue = 49"
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    so there is actually 45" between the head and top of the motor? if so i think i will go that route

4. Member
    On the Motor Guide if it says 45" it is 45" The measurement is from the top of the motor to center of the top. Where the top and bottom half of the head come together.
    The Minn Kota is 45" or 52". Not sure of the actual length of 52" shaft, but a 45" is 43 3/4 ".
    If you have a 45" Motor Guide you will be fine with the Minn Kota

5. Member
    The 45" Ultrex is actually 48" long when measured from the top of the lower unit to the bottom of the head (lower control box). However, there is a 3" depth collar between the two and if you take that 3" out, then you have the 45" shaft, or if you raise the depth collar all the way to the top and measure from the top of the head to the bottom of the depth collar, it's 45". The 52 measures 52" actual shaft length.
    If I can help, give me a call.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    I'm going to get the 45....looks like I should gain a few inches from what I have now. thanks for the help!