Upgrade Bearings? Or New Reels?

I'd like to get some opinions about a few reels I have. I’d like to either upgrade the bearings in them or replace the reel entirely with a higher end model. Is it worth putting Ceramics in any of these reels? I really like all 3 and they each have their time and place, but if I can get a little more out of them even better. Otherwise if it's not worth the cost to upgrade the bearings I'll just get something newer.

Shimano Curado D (DHSV)
    - 10 years old, never changed bearings, still runs like a top.

Daiwa Tatuala 100 (TATULA100HS)
    - 3 years old, still in great shape but find it difficult to pitch weightless Senkos.

Lew's Laser MG Speed Spool MCS LSG1SHMG
    - Got it really cheap this year. Works okay for cranks but would like more distance in my casts.

I would try to clean them overnight in acetone first and see if you see an improvement.

3. Member
    Some people claim to get very good improvements with new bearings. Maybe it depends on the reel. Maybe it depends on the user. I have had several reels upgraded with better bearings. I don't feel I get much more distance. It does seem easier to achieve what I was getting before. BUT I am not the world's best caster so maybe it is just me. I've read that Shimano uses good bearings in their reels and a bearing upgrade doesn't do much. I have a tuned and upgraded Curado 51E. I find it hard to notice a difference between it and the factory stock 51E that was just deep cleaned....yet a moderator on another forum was amazed at how much better his Curado was after a tune and upgrade. Me again?

I am a little surprised you aren't casting into the next county with that Lew's. It appears that many guys feel their Lew's outcasts any other reel they own. Well....maybe I shouldn't be too surprised as I own an original Tournament Pro, a Tournament MB and a Pro Z and I don't get any more distance from them than most of my other reels. Of course it could still me me that keeps them from shining.

4. Banned
    I put orange seals in all my Lews. We’ll see

Quote Originally Posted by tacklenerd View Post
    I would try to clean them overnight in acetone first and see if you see an improvement.
    THIS^^^. When I clean my reels each winter, I soak the bearings in lighter fluid. You'd be surprised at the gunk that comes out. When you take the bearings out of the fluid, let them dry on a paper towel and then spin them dry on the tip of a small pointed shaft of some kind. Then, ONE small drop of a top brand of reel oil on each bearing. You'll be shocked at how great your old reels will perform.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    As most have said... Clean the bearings good overnight in acetone. Let them dry good and I spin mine on a Q-Tip.
    I can see some improvement in the ceramic bearings as I have upgraded my Shimanos to ABEC7's. Mt Lew's
    cast a mile BUT, I always clean the bearings right out of the box. Just something I was told a long time ago with
    new reels. I would definitely clean all the bearing first.. OH... You need a spool tool for the Lew's shaft bearing.

7. Member
    Soak the bearings in acetone, as mentioned....for a 5 minute job (versus overnight soak) that works really well, buy a $30 ultrasonic jewelry cleaner on Amazon....works awesome. Watch the two, 10 minute Shimano Tutorial videos on Youtube, they will get your reel like new, and offer more tips to increase casting distance....

Good luck.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacklenerd View Post
    I do this 2-3 times per year and keep them very clean. I actually do cleaning and refurbishing reels for several of my buddies as well so I am very well versed with taking them apart, cleaning, re-lubing etc. There is always an improvement anytime I do this, but wondered if maybe I am missing out by not have orange seals in them. I've only ever used stock bearings on most my reels but always soaked and lightning lubed them.

9. Member
    It’s cheaper to upgrade those with bearings..
    I can ship ya Bocas for all reels for 70$ as that’s cheaper than buying 3 higher end reels..
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    As most have said... Clean the bearings good overnight in acetone. Let them dry good and I spin mine on a Q-Tip.
    I can see some improvement in the ceramic bearings as I have upgraded my Shimanos to ABEC7's. Mt Lew's
    cast a mile BUT, I always clean the bearings right out of the box. Just something I was told a long time ago with
    new reels. I would definitely clean all the bearing first.. OH... You need a spool tool for the Lew's shaft bearing.
    Yes I do the same. The viscosity and molecular structure of most the lubes that come from factory are designed for storing not for performance. So I always soak new reels and put the boca lube in them. I bought it when I had to replace a couple roller bearings a few years ago. I have the tool you speak of, I actually made a home made variation of it. Amazing how easy it was with some needle nose pliers and drill press lol.

I saw some videos where the upgraded ceramic bearings helped lower end reels but provided little and even a negative gain in higher end reels. Also try to run them dry if you dont mind them being slightly louder.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THKUSTOMS View Post
    It’s cheaper to upgrade those with bearings..
    I can ship ya Bocas for all reels for 70$ as that’s cheaper than buying 3 higher end reels..
    Thanks that's what I was leaning towards. I'll keep you in mind as soon as I'm ready to get them. Too much on my plate at the moment pre-holidays lol. But I do like to get my upgrades/replacements done before the next season starts.