Humidity in storage compartments

Guys, I recently bought a new boat in order to keep all my rods and tackle stored in the boat at all times instead of having to take everything out every trip. The problem is now i leave everything in, and my storage compartments have horrible humidity to where my hooks are rusting, my soft plastics are getting saturated and ruined, and I'm afraid the humidity and moisture will start tearing up my reels. I don't have covered storing for my boat, but i keep my boat cover on it.

I am thinking about trying some dehumidifying bags or buckets to keep the moisture down. Have any of you had these problems and figured out a solution?

I'm also thinking about drilling one or two 1" holes into my compartments from under my console, and maybe that way some air circulation will help.

2. Member
    I buy bags of desiccants from Wal-Mart, I use the larger ones in the rod lockers and life vest compartment, and then use the small ones in the tackle boxes (2-3 per box). You can get 100 small ones for $8 and i think they come in 8 or 10 for the large bags for around $8, order through Wal-mart.com because I have no idea where to find them in the store.

I was thinking about trying these out though since you can "re-charge" them, but they are expensive for what seems like a quantity of 1 - http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/H2Out...age-H2OUT.html

Damp-Rid works well. Buy the refillable buckets, one for each compartment.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If the compartments have any air circulation at all, then any kind of drying agent will not work. Letting in fresh, humid air will quickly consume any drying capacity it has.

My guess is you are getting water in your bilge from outdoor storage and that is the source of the humidity. Most boat covers shed water but don't keep it all out.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Kitty Litter !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

move to West Texas

Sorry couldn't help myself -- we don't have any humidity problems..

7. Member
    If you are forced to keep your boat outside, under cover with the compartments closed this will be a constant battle that you will lose. Especially living in South Louisiana. You've got to pull your stuff out whether you want to or not.

I see mold if i leave my hatches closed for two days outside. And I have zero carpet. Our humidity is just to high.That's why my boat sleeps inside with every single hatch open. It is always bone dry when I go to use it.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    I have one of these for each carpeted compartment and love them. Reusable and work great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028M3YU6...a-311205398608