My buddies new Verado

I talked a good friend into a Verado Pro for his new Phoenix and it is truly wonderful.
    I was fortunate to be with him on the first time out, we spent the day breaking in the motor, getting the electronics dialed in etc..

On the throttle there are 2 buttons, one is for fast idle and I "Thought" the other was to toggle from his hot foot to hand control but we cant get it to work. His dealer tells him there is no such function which I thought to be strange.

So either I completely misunderstood that you could toggle back and forth from hotfoot to hand throttle or the dealer is right.

Assuming I am right, what are we missing? I hold the other button down, it beeps but does not stay lit which is supposed to be what happens when cotrol is transfered??

2. Member
    If I’m correct, there are two buttons, one button on the shift handle, this should be a start/stop button, if the key is not all the way in the off position.

The other button is on the shifter body on the boat. It should toggle between the foot throttle and the the hand throttle. It won’t shift unless the motor is idling in either neutral or in idle in gear.

At least this is how mine is setup.

Thanks,
    Rob

3. Member
    Rob,
    You are right, the one button is a start stop that he can use after the key (main power) is activated.
    Then it is able to be used as a hand throttle, great, I thought so.

Does there need to be an additional module purchase?
    Does there need to be a program done to the Verado via a laptop, what I am trying to ask is what are we doing wrong?

4. Member
    Not really sure about an additional module purchase? Mine came standard with the hand throttle button on the body of the shift body??

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In order to accurately answer these questions, further information is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

We would need to know exactly what control has been used (a picture would be best). NUMEROUS controls are possible- and numerous configurations are possible, also.

Recommend holding off on forming any opinions of this topic until "all the info" is considered.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Hi Don,

Mercury Verado controls is all know, with hot foot and DTS box down by the hoot foot.
    There are 2 buttons on the hand control, they both beep when pushed

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    My only question would be the two buttons, as there are several "button possibilities" (Throttle Only, Throttle Transfer, Start/Stop, Trim/Tilt, as well as troll control features on a keypad).

If it is equipped with the throttle transfer feature, it's likely that either it's not being operated properly, OR it was not configured properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Don,
    like many others on this site I have trouble loading pictures.
    There are actually 3 buttons on the throttle assembly which is called "Mercury Smartcraft"
    # 1 button is start stop
    #2 button reads "throttle only"
    #3 button reads "hand throttle"

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Based on that information, it's likely that the system was not properly configured when it was set-up. Have an Authorized Dealer perform the helm/control configurations again to ensure it is properly set up.

10. Member
    Hi Don,
    I think you are right and this has been my position all along.
    The pictures of the actual boat throttle were forwrded to you as well.

Question about the helm control configuration, is this a software based interface becasue I was sure we ordered his boat configured the right way.

I ask for both my freind and fellow club member but myself as well with a Verado on order.
    My boat will be a different brand/different dealer and I suspect the dealer my freind purchased from is just not up to speed with this motor.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Configuration is accomplished via software/laptop connected to the CAN network.

Keep in mind, you would normally make the "Hand Throttle" selection when in neutral, at idle. Not while underway...

12. Member
    Thanks Don!

Has to be done via a laptop.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS