Banned

2015 150 Pro XS water pump part questions

Serial # 2B089126. Does this motor get the large thick o-ring (the one that seats on top of the pump housing with the little special tool) that goes down the drive shaft after the pump housing is bolted up?

2. Banned
    The "o-ring" in question is called a centrifugal slinger.

3. Member
    Cannot say with absolute certainty yours does not but my 150 Opti does not. If you are the only who has ever had the lower unit off and there wasn't one from the factory, I'd say yours doesn't use it. Maybe Don will confirm for certain based on your serial number.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Does NOT use the slinger on this model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Cannot say with absolute certainty yours does not but my 150 Opti does not. If you are the only who has ever had the lower unit off and there wasn't one from the factory, I'd say yours doesn't use it. Maybe Don will confirm for certain based on your serial number.
    I am actually the 2nd owner. Motor has only 55 hrs and the original pump was supposedly replaced at 39 hrs. I just installed a smart craft and noticed idle pressure was low so I pulled the lower (gasket below impeller plate was torn) and replaced impeller, housing, 2 gaskets, impeller plate, ect. It had the slinger gasket installed so I went ahead and reinstalled it back.

I have had the boat out since rebuilding pump. I am getting anywhere between 1.7-1.9 psi at idle and somewhat on the lower spectrum at WOT. I was expecting pressure around 2+ psi. Will having that "slinger" installed cause any problems, reduced pressure, ect? Should I drop it back down and remove?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will not "hurt" anything... it's just not needed.

Idle water pressure for this engine model is 1-3 psi.

Good call doing the water pump- in a fishing application, it should be considered ANNUAL (every year) Maintenance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax