Power Pole Fluid

If you start having trouble with your PP's I would suggest looking at the fluid. I had one that started making noise until finally it got to where it would not work at all. Yesterday I took the pump out and removed the plastic reservoir and when I dumped out the fluid I discovered a huge glob of stuff in it that looked like some kind of paste or something.

I live in Florida and we have a lot of humidity so I assume the glob was caused by condensation getting moisture in the tank. Evidently the environmentally safe fluid don't mix with water very well.

Lesson learned...change the fluid about once yearly to prevent problems.

Here is a picture of the Glob that came out of my PP tank. It was actually larger than shown as some had already went down into the oil drain pan.

I had the same issue with mine, I talked with the guys at Power-Pole and he suggested sending it back to them and they would disassemble the pump and check everything out. I sent it off and got it back in less than a week. Looks like they replace my tank, sent new fittings, new fluid and cleaned everything out, I just had to pay shipping on it to them. Now that is some awesome service.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

I had the same issue and I use regular hydraulic fluid which works the same. Moisture gets in no matter what for the most part and it is just part of the game. If you're mechanically inclined you can take apart the entire pump assembly and clean it yourself but I highly recommend sending it to pp considering they do it for free.

4. Member
    I took the pump apart and cleaned the screens and just generally cleaned everything. I think I'm in pretty good shape. Going to reinstall it in the boat this afternoon and I'll see how it does. If I have any further problems, Ill send it to them.

I thought about using a different fluid also. I have read that some people are using cooking oil successfully in them. I don't think I'd go that far but I think the reason they use the fluid they do is because it is Green. If it happens to get into the lake or water system it will not harm anything whereas regular hydraulic fluid might cause some environmental damage of some type.

Thanks for the advice.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Cooking oil????
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. mikesxpress
    Nooooooooooooooo you can't use cooking oil. No lubricity. Will become thicker with cooler temps.

Use what was originally specified for the poles/pumps. 10wt/ISO 32 Hydraulic Fluid

Lube King Hydraulic Fluid, AW ISO 32, 2-Gals $16.99 for 2 gallons at True Value. You will most likely have to order it and have it shipped to the local store.

Or you can get the "Green" fluid for $12.95 a quart. Made from oil seed (most likely Rape seed). Note: It says it's "biodegradable".
    Oil seed fluids exhibit poorer oxidation resistance than mineral oils. Seed oil (natural esters) react with oxygen in a different way than mineral oils do. Instead of forming acids and then sludge, like mineral oils, natural esters will polymerize, or form a gel when they are at the end stage of their oxidation reaction. That goo you saw was the end of life for the Green fluid not moisture condensation.

From PP site:
    I need more hydraulic fluid. Where can I purchase your hydraulic fluid?
    We suggest you use Green Marine which is a non-toxic and biodegradable fluid. Green Marine can be purchased through any of our authorized dealers or here on our website As an alternative, any ISO32 hydraulic fluid or SAE10 oil can be used

Some varied descriptions on the internet say the Green fluid can be used in other marine hyd systems such as jack plates and steering. NOT!!!!

Bob's Jack plate takes 20W non detergent oil. You can get that at Tractor Supply. 2 gallons for less than $20.00. Or you can get a quart from Bob's for $10.00.

Just trying to save you guys some grief and a few bucks.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 01-07-2023 at 06:25 AM.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I think the reason they use the fluid they do is because it is Green. If it happens to get into the lake or water system it will not harm anything whereas regular hydraulic fluid might cause some environmental damage of some type.
    exactly....

8. Banned
    I just had my boat winterized today and while there I bought the Green. I am going to clean reservoir and clean screens, then fill with the new oil. I would rather ne safe than sorry.

9. Skeeterzx190
    Use the green..I do with mine and runs fine. Don’t use reg hydraulic fluid/ oil...stuff is toxic for fresh water and fish. Over time it may leak in bildge like mine did, or fittings on pole....gets into water easily. Stick to the biodegradable stufff that power pole recommends.

10. mikesxpress
    And what do you substitute for the 50 gallons of fuel under your seat and 2.5 gallons of oil for the 2 strokes that are also near the bilge?

11. mikesxpress
    Green PP fluid goo Billy had. Your not going to get that with hyd fluid.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    And what do you substitute for the 50 gallons of fuel under your seat and 2.5 gallons of oil for the 2 strokes that are also near the bilge?
    You ain’t supposed to ask those kinda questions.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterzx19 View Post
    Use the green..I do with mine and runs fine. Don’t use reg hydraulic fluid/ oil...stuff is toxic for fresh water and fish. Over time it may leak in bildge like mine did, or fittings on pole....gets into water easily. Stick to the biodegradable stufff that power pole recommends.
    While you CAN use what Mike recommends without issues per Power Pole and it is cheaper... We would like to recommend that you use the Green fluid, if you change it out every year (extreme use) to every other year ( regular use) you wont end up with the goo and pump issues, little preventative maintenance goes a long way, as does being enviromentally friendly.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 04-11-2019 at 06:17 PM.