Dustlane

Smaller unit at bow or console?

I have both a 93SV and a 73SV and I love em both. My 93SV is the first gen and I’m about to upgrade to the newer chirp unit. I’m just curious about the setup. I’ve been running the 73SV at the bow but I’m thinking of switching and putting the smaller unit at the console. Is this fairly common or am I in the minority? My eyesight ain’t what it used to be and I feel like the bigger screen would be welcome at the bow since it’s farther away from my face.

2. Member
    What ever makes you comfortable...for my style of fishing I would put the larger unit on the bow

3. Member
    yep larger unit where you fish from

4. Dustlane
    Yeah I think I’m gonna make the switch the rear unit is right in my face so the 73SV will work fine for that.

5. Member
    I wish. I wish. I wish. My time on the lake is basically for two functions. It's either searching for fish or fishing to catch. So for me the question would be translated to which one am I willing to cut back on. I know that's tough to say and all this stuff costs. It depends on how you fish and how you search. Initially I only had 2d for both. So that wasn't too expensive and didn't require a big screen. Then when side imaging came out, there was just no way around it. Using side imaging to see fish instead of structure required a large screen. SideVu is more productive used for searching than catching. So if only 1 large screen, then put it at the console. The Panoptix PS30 is also an excellent search tool, better than SideVu, if the fish you are looking for are mid-depth to bottom oriented. Again, points for big unit at console.

Now add in Panoptix LiveVu Forward. Now you need at least a 7 inch screen for this function at the bow or bigger if it will also be used for 2d, etc.

Shortcuts and redneck Panoptix. This is the time of year to rake in savings on the low-end units. Don't think you're being short-changed. The Striker units are great performers. For example, two smaller ones with GT8 transducers mounted on the transom pointed left and right is a major improvement to standard straight down 2d searching. The GT8 is one of my all time favorite transducers. The frequency range is-145-230. Setting it to run on a single manual frequency give you room to avoid interference. The problem using other brands is that they loose bottom and interrupts your searching. This is not a problem with Garmin. I also have one mounted tilted forward on the trolling motor for that area that I call the pitch out distance.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

I have a 93 at the bow and will add one more just for Panoptics.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I have a 1040xs up front. Lot of times I leave that on sonar if I’m moving slow and use the smaller one at the consol for a map. The 1040 is big enough I can easily still see if from my drivers seat.

8. Member
    This doesn't count for me. I use ipilot I fish all over the boat lol

9. Member
    Rule of thumb: Smaller screen if in your face
    Larger if a distance away like at the bow