Thread: Lid latches

Lid latches

I just bought some latches on here from another member and they seem so be about an 8th of an inch too big for the hole. How do I go about enlarging the hole? Dremel it out? Get the correct size hole saw bit and drill through the carpet some? Im not too sure how to attack this problem. Thanks in advance.
    1992 Gambler Intimidator with a 1998 Mariner Magnum EFI 225

2. Member
    Mark the underside, then use file it will go fast.

3. Member
    You could make a clamp on jig and use a hole saw

Why not get the correct sized latches?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Why not get the correct sized latches?
    Thanks for the responses. Latches are expensive, especially when you need 13. I’ve been looking for a few months and found the ones I wanted at a price I liked. I can either make the hole a little bigger or keep looking for latches. If making the hole bigger is pretty easy then thats what I would like to do. If its a huge pain in the ___ then Ill sell them and be on the look out again. Would rather not have to run the mission of selling and shipping these.

hand file
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by VolsFan24 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Latches are expensive, especially when you need 13. I’ve been looking for a few months and found the ones I wanted at a price I liked. I can either make the hole a little bigger or keep looking for latches. If making the hole bigger is pretty easy then thats what I would like to do. If its a huge pain in the ___ then Ill sell them and be on the look out again. Would rather not have to run the mission of selling and shipping these.
    I wanted to upgrade some of my latches and I could not find exactly what I wanted. Ended up getting a couple replacement latches that I am not really happy with. I thought shopping for latches was rather frustrating.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

I’m not familiar with hand files. Is there a best overall size or shape?

Quote Originally Posted by VolsFan24 View Post
    I’m not familiar with hand files. Is there a best overall size or shape?
    Google half round bastard cut wood file. A rasp might be too harsh.

10. Member
    Before you do anything make sure the new latch will work. As in, make sure it will still latch and everything. Some latches require different spacing from where they latch.

11. Member
    What ever you do don't enlarge the holes until you can make sure you will have clearance for the nut.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

12. Member
    Best way to drill a hole with a hole saw is no make a jig. Cut a 2×4 about 2' long. Drill through it with the hole saw. Now you have a jig and know exactly where the hole will be cut. Place the board where you want the hole drilled, stand on both ends so the board won't move while drilling. That's the best way I have found to drill holes and keep a hole saw from tracking.

13. Member
    Actually the best way to drill a hole with a hole saw in the case of the OP (drilling a hole larger than the one already present) would be to measure the hole .... get that size hole saw, and then get a hole saw in the size he actually needs, and piggy back the larger hole saw with the smaller one. The smaller, proper sized hole saw will keep everything in line. It's a lot of trouble for a mere 1/8" larger hole, but it will give you the cleanest cut.

While we're kind of on the subject .....the best way to drill a hole with a hole saw in a piece of new material, is to drill a 1/4" hole at the center point of the hole you want to drill. (most hole saws in the sizes common to home use, use a 1/4" pin in their center) Then take your hole saw with an insert pin in its center hole, NOT a drill bit. They sell smooth steel pins for the use in the center of hole saws. Using a drill bit in the center of a hole saw is what enables a hole saw to "walk" A drill bit has sharp cutting edges along its length. As the hole saw wobbles very slightly, the drill bit will enlarge the center hole, thus allowing the hole saw to wobble even more.

Cutting a nice clean completely concentric hole with a hole saw is easy. Just use a smooth center pin.

If it were me though ...... I'd just use a Dremel (if you have one) or a die grinder. If using a die grinder on aluminum it's a good idea to spray the cutting bit with some WD40. It will keep the grooves in the bit from clogging, (and they will when cutting that many holes, in the thickness of aluminum that hatch lids are) and make for a quicker and much cleaner cut. Spray with WD40 .... do 2 or 3 holes, then spray again.

As far as marking the hole so you have something to visually follow if using a Dremel or a die grinder ....... just outline the edge of the hole with a fine tipped marker of a contrasting color to the background.
    Last edited by Bassbme; 11-18-2017 at 11:08 AM.

If the holes are round go to the parts store and buy a step drill bit in the size you need. If the holes are oval then a half round or round file.

Thanks for the replies. Boat is in the shop lowering the motor 1 hole so I havent had it a few days. All real good suggestions. Ill have to make sure it all fits and lines up right before I do anything

16. Banned
    make a jig with wood and use a router. It'll be the cleanest result.