Track and GPS memory space

I have been contemplating a switch here lately and the navionics deal really got me thinking more. I have one question, well one for now lol. I run an onix and hds at the console. The onix is just mapping and 2d mainly for lakemaster. The lowrance does my navionics and scanning. We made our own "chip" with all kinds of tracks that highlight stuff like creek channels and whatever we though was interesting. The lowrance can handle all that info no problem except you have to load it in pieces so it will take it all. The bird on the other hand has hardly any memory for trails and is constantly telling me I've reached the limit. So my question is how would the Garmin memory for tracks and such compare to the lowrance and what format does Garmin use to read data? Any other advice or info is appreciated also. Thanks

2. Member
    Garmin uses GPX format. Memory is probably unit/model/series specific. I can tell you about the echoMAP CHIRP 93sv and 7610xsv that I have. 5000 waypoints, Track log 50,000 points, 50 saved tracks.

You can see this information for many units on the Garmin website. Pull up the specific unit and click the SPECS tab.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Thanks. I will compare them

Lowrance has a 100 track memory with 10,000 points each.
    Humminbird as a 50 track memory with 20,000 points each.
    Garmin has a 50 track memory with 50,000 points each.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks. I don't exactly the counts of the stuff we made bit judging by what downloads and what doesn't on the bird I bet it would push the limit on the Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Thanks. I don't exactly the counts of the stuff we made bit judging by what downloads and what doesn't on the bird I bet it would push the limit on the Garmin.
    Learning how to merge tracks will increase the amount of data you have room for.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I don't think it's the number of tracks. I think it's the amount of points. If that's what you mean by merging them. If not could you point me in the right direction to merge them.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Learning how to merge tracks will increase the amount of data you have room for.
    Merging tracks will not work on Garmin units. Garmin unit software does not support track-segmentation. Humminbird and Lowrance do.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    Merging tracks will not work on Garmin units. Garmin unit software does not support track-segmentation. Humminbird and Lowrance do.
    Does that mean you cannot use the Tommy Martin Lake Maps with a Garmin?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Does that mean you cannot use the Tommy Martin Lake Maps with a Garmin?
    Only old versions of GPSLakeMaps maybe. Only old versions of some of Lance Vick's Boatlanes maybe.

Newer updated GpsLakeMap and Boatlane versions use track-segmentation. You can use RideLeader to unmerge a track and each segment will become a individual track(so 1 track becomes maybe 20 tracks).

This issue was reported to Garmin Support awhile ago, but has not been fixed in the unit software that I'm aware of since I'm not a Garmin user. Major problem for me.
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 11-21-2017 at 09:48 AM.

11. Member
    Lowrance has a 100 track memory with 10,000 points each.
    Humminbird as a 50 track memory with 20,000 points each.
    Garmin has a 50 track memory with 50,000 points each.
    Lowrance USRv3 has track-point maximum of 10,000 and Lowrance USRv4/v5 has track-point maximum of 20,000(actually about 23K+). Don't know about USRv6 just released.