Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I went back and read the original post and done some thinking because I am at a loss of what your issue is. Only thing I can come up with is when you quote speed of 56 plus 2 more mph when you trim up is that GPS or speedometer. If speedometer then pay zero attention to the speed because boat speedometers are a highly inaccurate way to measure speed. If that is GPS speed then you truly have a few more mph left to achive what that combo is capable of. When you say 5000 rpm it would be nice if you had another tachometer to verify rpm.

There is only one other thing I can think of and its a long shot...a friend and I were out on his boat one day and it suddenly loss 500-600 rpm on top end. We shut it down and the motor idled smooth. We stop and started the motor and found no issued. Holeshot was perfect so were were at a loss of why he lost rpm. Once back at the ramp we pull the cowl to look at the motor. He had recently changed spark plugs so we wanted to inspect them. We found one of the spark plug wires had came undone. We put it back on and dropped the boat back in the water and it ran like a scalded dog on top end. If someone had told me a boat would run smooth on 5 cylinders I would have thought they were telling a tall tell but I saw it first hand. Only issue he had was losing 5-600 rpm...like I said it a long shot but check your plug wire connections. I am at a loss and will gladly help if I can but I am out of suggestions for now. If your tachometer is correct and you speed is GPS you you have some speed and rpm left on the table. Hopefully you find out what your issue is. I am not giving up, I am just out of suggestions.

2. Member
    Speed was GPS, but tach was factory tach and 20 years old so very good point. I think I will get new OMC wires ordered and on the way as these wires truly look like original 1998, but when I get home I will check all 6 certainly and I have new plugs arriving today thanks to Amazon Prime. I am hoping to get it out Wednesday with much less wind so more updates after Thanksgiving. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving with loved ones!!

If speed was GPS then more than likely rpm is correct..."typically" on the combo you have 5000 is upper 50's. If you're wanting low to mid 60's you need to get your prop turning 55-5700. I just don't understand where your lost rpm and speed is

Keep up the good work, I'm following this thread. After you change out the wires and plugs, take it out for a run ( possibly solo), and let us know how you make out. Did the steering become easier after you raised the motor?
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

5. Member
    Congrats on the new ride! They are fun, fast boats and once setup much easier to handle. I still don't have mine setup completely but after re-powering I can run 63 all day long comfortably. I may have to get in touch with J Risco and meet up down at Kerr for him to dial me in.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

6. Member
    Update on next steps... I have the wires and plugs, but I went ahead and ordered 3 coils since I am there already. The plugs are from Amazon in a 8 pack so two spares are good with me. I was going to order a new power pack, but the budget is getting hit a little hard right now, so I will start with plugs, wires and coils. I did notice on some of the power packs they have a warning about the color of the stator wire and there are saying it needs to be the gray jacket and not the black to the stator. I surely do not want to change the stator on this if it isn't bad so not sure if that requirement is just with Sierra and CDI or if I get an OEM power pack if I have to be concerned about the stator jacket color or not. Regardless, I didn't order a power pack just yet. My son and I are really enjoying this boat! It fits in my 8' wide garage door (tight but fits), it doesn't rock around as much as the BP Tracker 175 and this Stratos even at 55/56 MPH is really hauling butt compared to the 27/28 MPH of the Mercury 40 on the BP Tracker. I am not getting us to the general location, but then letting my son control the trolling motor and thus control the fishing. He is a quick learning for sure. The steering is better for sure now. We hope to get it back out Saturday, but the coils will not be here until early next week.

7. Member
    Hope everyone had and is still having a great Thanksgiving with loved ones!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDaniel View Post
    Update on next steps... I have the wires and plugs, but I went ahead and ordered 3 coils since I am there already. The plugs are from Amazon in a 8 pack so two spares are good with me. I was going to order a new power pack, but the budget is getting hit a little hard right now, so I will start with plugs, wires and coils. I did notice on some of the power packs they have a warning about the color of the stator wire and there are saying it needs to be the gray jacket and not the black to the stator. I surely do not want to change the stator on this if it isn't bad so not sure if that requirement is just with Sierra and CDI or if I get an OEM power pack if I have to be concerned about the stator jacket color or not. Regardless, I didn't order a power pack just yet. My son and I are really enjoying this boat! It fits in my 8' wide garage door (tight but fits), it doesn't rock around as much as the BP Tracker 175 and this Stratos even at 55/56 MPH is really hauling butt compared to the 27/28 MPH of the Mercury 40 on the BP Tracker. I am not getting us to the general location, but then letting my son control the trolling motor and thus control the fishing. He is a quick learning for sure. The steering is better for sure now. We hope to get it back out Saturday, but the coils will not be here until early next week.
    I hate reading these kinds of post.Buy/download the factory repair manual for your motor.Blindly throwing parts at one
    is a waste of time and money and it is pure luck to fix one like that without emptying the wallet.Stay with oem electrical
    parts unless you like replacing them.If you are close to Tallahassee fla area i would talk to Championman in the evinrude
    motor forum and have him check it out.He can tell you more in an hour of diagnostic work and eyeballing then 4hrs of
    part swapping will do,and it may turn out something simple none of those expensive parts will fix.
    example,last weekend my cousins 225 johnson would not hit a lick.it had no fire on any cylinder and
    he was all set to buy a pack,stator and plugs.Only thing wrong was the battery had low water and would
    drop to 9.5 volts when cranking and would not fire the ignition system.I saved him a lot of money with just
    a few minutes of actual testing with a volt meter when we got home instead of letting him throw parts at it.

also from what i read in the first post,i am not sure there is any motor problem.By your comments on walking
    and trimming it sounds like you need seat time.If it isn't up on the pad wanting to walk and feels loose
    you aren't getting to top speed.Don't take this as i'm dogging your ability.
    Last edited by hulapopr; 11-24-2017 at 10:08 PM.

9. Member
    Two fishermen with a combined weight of 425, every storage crammed full like you said front to back & full fuel i'd say you are running pretty good with a renegade 25 loaded that heavily. A 24 Raker original in good shape will lift better then the renegade & will be a little faster in most cases, but if you're loaded that heavily like you said then you're not running to bad at all actually. May need your setup tweeked a little. Motor may need to go down just a tad for water pressure. If you do happen to try a 24 Raker remember that you'll have to have a different thrust washer too. I will say this though: a buddy had a brand new 2004 285 single console with 175 johnson & i had an 2003 dual console 185 with 150 Jonhson & he ran a 25 renegade & i ran a 24 raker. I smoked him on holeshot & top end both until i tried my raker on his boat. He was set a 3.5 below with the renegade & i put my 24 raker on it & raised his motor to 3' below pad & on the first pass went from the renegades top speed of 56 gps to 66.8 gps with my 24 raker. Needless to say he sold the renegade & bought a 24 raker & i never could touch him again. I know lots of folks like renegades, but i personally have never had one that i liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Two fishermen with a combined weight of 425, every storage crammed full like you said front to back & full fuel i'd say you are running pretty good with a renegade 25 loaded that heavily. A 24 Raker original in good shape will lift better then the renegade & will be a little faster in most cases, but if you're loaded that heavily like you said then you're not running to bad at all actually. May need your setup tweeked a little. Motor may need to go down just a tad for water pressure. If you do happen to try a 24 Raker remember that you'll have to have a different thrust washer too. I will say this though: a buddy had a brand new 2004 285 single console with 175 johnson & i had an 2003 dual console 185 with 150 Jonhson & he ran a 25 renegade & i ran a 24 raker. I smoked him on holeshot & top end both until i tried my raker on his boat. He was set a 3.5 below with the renegade & i put my 24 raker on it & raised his motor to 3' below pad & on the first pass went from the renegades top speed of 56 gps to 66.8 gps with my 24 raker. Needless to say he sold the renegade & bought a 24 raker & i never could touch him again. I know lots of folks like renegades, but i personally have never had one that i liked.
    That sounds like a very good Raker vs a sh!tty Gade . Typically the Gades will need a little work to run best, but once worked right will run only a few mph slower than the Raker, but will lift better in midrange, cruise better, and handle better.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

11. Member
    I do agree, with the amount of weight we have in the boat and a half tank of gas we are running pretty good and actually fast enough while we still learn this boat. I hope to have the wires and coils tomorrow. The wires are original and several tested >1100 ohms so they are being replaced. Only 1 coil had me concerned with testing on the secondary resistance. I could not get a reading 90% of the time on 1 side of the coil and 1 or 2 times it would show 2268+ ohms which is way above the 275 + or - 50 ohms which tells me that plug was either not firing or not firing very well. At that point I ordered 3 coils and I may actually start with replacing just the 1 coil and have 2 spares, but all these parts appear to be original 1998 parts so who knows what abuse they have seen or the true amount of hours on this motor. And new Champion QL78YC plugs gapped at .030 will be installed along with all this. I will certainly fire it up in the driveway with water muffs, but not sure when we will take it back out just yet for the true water test.

12. Member
    UPDATE!! I think I know what may have hurt that coil. See pic below. I am an idiot and JR19 is spot on!!! I would have never guessed a motor would run that good with a dead plug. Both plugs in the boat are Champion QL78YC, but one of them is defective. Can you see it??? I am running 55/56 with 5 of 6 cylinders! I race SBC engines in the IHRA and build my own motors, but this outboard ran smooth and solid up to 5000 RPM all day long, but would not go up any further. I can promise with a good coil and the new plugs it will run more than 5000 RPM now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Make sure you stay with Champion plugs. Johnson and Evinrude seem to do a lot better when replaced with OEM plugs. Here is a chart...you have the right plug.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...gChart2008.pdf

When you get that motor hooked up and running full RPM don't be surprised if its a handful to "learn" how to drive. JRisco posted a youtube video of him doing 70 in his 285. In it he shows how to counter steer for chinewalk.

14. Member
    Yes. Champion QL78YC gapped at .030” already in it just now with new plug wires. New coils installed and each measure consistently around 280 ohms. All parts are OMC. Have the trailer hubs off now doing new bearings, races and seals. This boat will be in the water Saturday for sure. Friday will crank with muffs in driveway before I tow it 45 minutes to the lake.

15. Member
    Here is a better view of the defective spark plug. It has zero gap... I have never seen a plug do this, but here it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That is because the plug on the left may have had contact with the piston crown. You may want to take a compression test of the motor. It can be caused by worn wrist pin bearings, wrist pin hole on the piston or worn wrist pin end on the connecting rod. If you put new plugs in, and the plug gap is closed again, remove the cylinder head and check the piston for up/down travel there should be none. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    That is because the plug on the left may have had contact with the piston crown. You may want to take a compression test of the motor. It can be caused by worn wrist pin bearings, wrist pin hole on the piston or worn wrist pin end on the connecting rod. If you put new plugs in, and the plug gap is closed again, remove the cylinder head and check the piston for up/down travel there should be none. Good luck.
    It almost looks like the center electrode on the left plug has moved upward to close that gap. If that IS the case it's a better scenerio than what CM is talking about. Put a new plug in and turn the engine over like CM said to see if it closes the gap again, but hopefully for your sake and cost wise it's what I said.

Also, the plug on the right is slap worn out! I'd be replacing all 6 once you know the engine is healthy

18. Member
    The center electrode sprung/released and moved up to touch the strap and close the gap. I can push the electrode down with a small screwdriver, but when I release it, it springs back closed. Never have I seen a plug do this. I put one of the old plugs in and spun it and the gap stay fine as I was worried about the piston contact also. Thank goodness it is a defective plug and not that issue!! Phew.. Also, all 6 plugs are now new and have the proper gap. The old plugs showed .048 - .050" gap which is crazy.

The center electrode sprung/released and moved up to touch the strap and close the gap. I can push the electrode down with a small screwdriver, but when I release it, it springs back closed. Never have I seen a plug do this. I put one of the old plugs in and spun it and the gap stay fine as I was worried about the piston contact also. Thank goodness it is a defective plug and not that issue!! Phew.. Also, all 6 plugs are now new and have the proper gap. The old plugs showed .048 - .050" gap which is crazy.
    Good to hear. Those engines (ignition systems) wear plugs out quick... I used to replace plugs in mine at around 50-60 hours... if I let them go to 100+ hours I would have stalling issues with a cold motor because the gap was too big. Could have just re-gapped them but didnt want to take the chance at one failing and potentially talking out a cylinder so I just replaced

Nice find....may all your problems be such an easy fix!! Looking forward to the results of your next water test. Good luck!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast