Installing a TM Foot Pedal Tray in Nitro

Back this past spring when I bought my Ultrex I was more interested in getting out on the water with my new trolling motor. As everyone knows the Ultrex pedal is wider at the back of the pedal than the past models from MK so it doesn't fit in the OEM recessed tray, which I never thought was deep enough anyway. I didn't want to take on a third big project (in addition to installing a new Helix) so I put a band aid on it by building a plywood platform for the pedal to sit on.

This setup got me on the water but it is less than satisfactory. I'm crowded and I can't count how many times I've stumbled on the pedal. With winter coming I thought it would be a good time to install a recessed TM tray. My problem is; I can't figure out how to make it work with the way the bow is designed with the bow panel dropping down into the recess...another pic....

I don't have a problem with cutting the existing tray out but how will the new one work with an open gap with no support on the front side of the thing? Does anybody have any ideas or solutions for this. I know some Nitro owners have peeled back the carpet and cut approximately ¾" from each side but I'm not a fan of that either. What would you do with this? ...and don't tell me to sell the Nitro.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Looks like you need a vertical piece to support the bow panel attached to the front, underside of the replacement tray. I'd go to Lowes or HD and they sell stock AL angle pieces of get a small piece of sheet stock of hefty thickness and bend it. Attach to the front, underside of the tray with pop rivets or SS bolts and nyloc nuts, then drill the Al for pilot holes for the bow trim piece. Sheet stock with a bend may be the way to go if the bow piece is at an angle.

I don't know...I'm sitting here looking at the bottom picture. How will I be able to cut out the part of the upper deck where it meets the bow? The last thing I want to do is booger it up where it looks bad.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Member
    Look in the nitro forum. Theres a long thread about this exact problem.

Edit: saw you already knew about that one. I wish I could figure out how to get an after market tray in mine too. Might just end up pulling the carpet back and shaving down the existing tray
    Last edited by Sparky292; 11-16-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    Look in the nitro forum. Theres a long thread about this exact problem.

Edit: saw you already knew about that one. I wish I could figure out how to get an after market tray in mine too. Might just end up pulling the carpet back and shaving down the existing tray
    Yes, I've seen that thread but still looking for a better alternative. I would really prefer something like Comfortroll or Troll Eze. This might be impossible and I'll have to go with the trimming the existing well.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Yes, I've seen that thread but still looking for a better alternative. I would really prefer something like Comfortroll or Troll Eze. This might be impossible and I'll have to go with the trimming the existing well.
    Id really like to find a way to mount one not only for it to fit better but Id like to have a deeper tray also.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

7. Member
    Back this past spring when I bought my Ultrex I was more interested in getting out on the water with my new trolling motor. As everyone knows the Ultrex pedal is wider at the back of the pedal than the past models from MK so it doesn't fit in the OEM recessed tray, which I never thought was deep enough anyway. I didn't want to take on a third big project (in addition to installing a new Helix) so I put a band aid on it by building a plywood platform for the pedal to sit on.

This setup got me on the water but it is less than satisfactory. I'm crowded and I can't count how many times I've stumbled on the pedal. With winter coming I thought it would be a good time to install a recessed TM tray. My problem is; I can't figure out how to make it work with the way the bow is designed with the bow panel dropping down into the recess...another pic....

I don't have a problem with cutting the existing tray out but how will the new one work with an open gap with no support on the front side of the thing? Does anybody have any ideas or solutions for this. I know some Nitro owners have peeled back the carpet and cut approximately ¾" from each side but I'm not a fan of that either. What would you do with this? ...and don't tell me to sell the Nitro.

Good lord!!! Did Nitro cut that hole? What the hell were they thinking? My wife could cut a nicer hole with an ice pick and a sledgehammer!

As for the original question....

you are gonna have to pull back the carpet and rebuild/reshape the recess.....and then reattach the carpet for it to look professionally done.

Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    Good lord!!! Did Nitro cut that hole? What the hell were they thinking? My wife could cut a nicer hole with an ice pick and a sledgehammer!

As for the original question....

you are gonna have to pull back the carpet and rebuild/reshape the recess.....and then reattach the carpet for it to look professionally done.
    Thanks for the insult...was that completely necessary.

I was taught not to badmouth another guys equipment.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

My question is will the Ultrex foot petal fit inside a Comfort troll pan Or a Troll Eze?

Quote Originally Posted by rjvana View Post
    My question is will the Ultrex foot petal fit inside a Comfort troll pan Or a Troll Eze?
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Comfo...age-COMFU.html

Yes! Especially for Ultrex.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    Got my bag o popcorn watching. I want an Ultrex to replace my growling Motor Guide and don't have a recess on the deck of my Ranger. Have seen the aluminum recess trays and would hope .that might be a solution for me.

Great, because I have a comfort troll and been contemplating on the Ultrex, But been busy with Cataract Surgeries and Vertigo to go out and measure the thing.

13. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=765934

For months, this thread has had me thinking about getting a custom tray. I'm about ready to email Fishon and have them do a tray and powder coat it because my carpet is still in great shape. I've put trays in other boats so modifying my current tray should be a breeze.

14. Member
    Wow, I like that ^^^^^

I think Im gonna get one made just like that but a bit shallower because I wouldnt carpet it, just powder coat.

Ive always hated how shallow nitro made their trays
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    Wow, I like that ^^^^^

I think Im gonna get one made just like that but a bit shallower because I wouldnt carpet it, just powder coat.

Ive always hated how shallow nitro made their trays
    Me too....it worked okay with the original Maxxum pedal but this Ultrex is not only wider, it's taller as well. I wouldn't want it too deep because it's sometimes hard to hit those two front buttons as it is. Then again sometimes I hit it without meaning to. That gets pretty wild when you're going in shallow to retrieve a lure or something.

I might look into Enduro's guy and see what the custom made one looks like and costs. I was hoping to go with a ready made one.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    I think Im going to contact them and just copy his dimensions and layout of his trays picture and see a price with it powder coated. I wonder what one would run ya
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

If you don't mind, let me know what you find out.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    Will do, just cant decide on the depth of the tray
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL