Switching my working USA made pumps out for Mexican/Chinese?!

I still laugh every time I think about it. I planned on switching out all of my Rule livewell and bilge pumps this winter after I pulled out my batteries. The boat is 12 years old so I thought it prudent to change them all out as good practice rather than have one go bad on the water - especially the bilge pump. So I ordered the new Rule pumps. When I pulled out the batteries and the bilge plate I soon learned that all of the pumps buried under there are all USA made! Says so right on the top!

The 500 gph motors are made in Mexico and the new 500 gph (whole assembly) pump is made in China.

I asked a buddy "So, should I pull out my perfectly working USA made pumps and replace them with China and Mexico pumps or just leave them in there"??

What do you think he said?

Get your $$ back!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by axis View Post
    Get your $$ back!
    I'll just keep them on the shelf. With my luck I'll pull out first day next spring and one will go bad. We're not talking huge $$$

4. Member
    For what its worth it usually the housing that cracks where the hose connects causing leaks vs a motor going bad. That's what all of my pump failures have been. So maybe keep your pumps and just switch out the housings if there still made the same.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    For what its worth it usually the housing that cracks where the hose connects causing leaks vs a motor going bad. That's what all of my pump failures have been. So maybe keep your pumps and just switch out the housings if there still made the same.
    that's what started me on this. My Port livewell fill housing was cracked. So, since I was pulling batteries and all out I thought I mind as well change out the bilge pumps. That's when i saw everything was USA made.

6. Member
    If I were you I would change out all the housings. Once one of mine failed all the others failed within months of each other