G2 winterizing video

John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

2. Member
    he said change the lower unit lube - i thought it there was an interval on that rather than just dump it at the end of the season/
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    he said change the lower unit lube - i thought it there was an interval on that rather than just dump it at the end of the season/
    Same here! My dealer said three years???

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Pull the side panel and check the condition of it.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    As Championman notes, still another great value-added feature of the G2 is the option to check gear lube condition without pulling a plug. That said, do you change the oil in your car/truck at 3000 miles, as your granddad did, or at the 7500-10,000 stated in the owner’s manual? As far as I know, the guy in the video is neither an employee of BRP nor a platinum certified Evinrude technician. I can change my gear lube for under $20, which is very cheap insurance against expensive repairs and breakdowns, and doing so is also easy and quick. Nice to have options.

6. Member
    He states you can use ear muffs if you are out of the water. I was told not to use ear muffs on this motor, you should attach the hose to the port on the rear of the motor?
    Pool 10

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes, here is a video on the 150 HP G2.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    As stated above, I change my gear lube every fall just before real cold temps set in. It gives me a sense of security knowing there is no water in the lube, I also pull the prop and check for fishing line....etc.....around the prop shaft and change to winter prop. If you pull the prop on a G2 and see no fishing line around the shaft, you could probably get away with changing if you check the oil in the resevoir for water or contaminants......

9. Member
    No problem flushing any G2 with an ear muff style flusher IF they are of good quality. Just like any outboard if the "ears" do not seal against the gearcase it will suck air and not water. Also the G2 has the leading edge low water pick-ups that need to be covered using muffs. Personally I like the flush kit that one can add to the front of the G2 and that is the best way to flush an engine used in salt water.

10. Member
    i thought seafoam was bad in etec style injector motors???
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    i thought seafoam was bad in etec style injector motors???
    It is but the Utube master that did this video obviously don't know that. Now Evinrude has proof when his injectors fail.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Best to use 2+4 fuel conditioner.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    It is but the Utube master that did this video obviously don't know that. Now Evinrude has proof when his injectors fail.
    I should clarify that I don’t support every statement from the FLW guy’s video. Only wanted to show the simple interface for engine fogging on the G2 dash display, which I had not seen previously. That’s what is great about this board: we can share ideas and through dialogue arrive at the best procedures to follow.