Question Champion 203 Re-Power Question

Hello fellow Champion lovers!

So I am the proud owner of a SPOTLESS 2001 Champion 203 currently powered with a Merc 225 EFI turning a 25p Trophy Plus with an 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack Magnum plate. I am checking off a childhood bucket list dream of fishing as a pro in the 2018 BASSMASTER Bass Pro Shops Central Opens as a PRO! I am very excited for this opportunity and I am proudly running my 01' Champ for the year.

That being said I have been blessed to gain the support of some great companies that makes some products that I am going to add to my boat for 2018. Here is whats being added:

8'-10' Power Pole Blades
    4 New Optima Blue Top D31 Series Batteries
    3 new Helix Units (a 9" Helix Mounted in the dash, a 10" Helix Mega on a Ram Mount right of the console, and a 10" Helix Mega DI Unit at the bow)
    1 TH Marine Hydrowave
    1 New Minnkota Fortrex 112lb thrust 36v 52in shaft trolling motor.

So here is the meat of my question, with my unique position (I have been diagnosed as terminally ill due to a lung disease i was diagnosed with at 16) I have been considering selling my classic automobile to afford a new Mercury 250 Pro XS or 250XS. I am concerned with all the added weight and running a full tournament load with a full tank of gas, full live wells, a co-angler, and all my tackle and whatever he brings, I feel that my 203 will be very much underpowered running my 01 Merc 225 E.F.I.

I was just wondering if there are any Champion 203 owners who have re-powered their rigs with a new 250ProXS or 250XS (Mercs Racing 250) and how much of a performance upgrade did you notice?

I'm having a hard time convincing my dad that running a new 250ProXS or 250XS would provide a significant performance in both top end and fuel economy vs running my older engine.

With my current set up I can turn a 25p Trophy Plus and bang the rev limiter no problem, but if I was to run a 250ProXS or 250XS I know I could turn a much more aggressive prop both 3 and four blade. I was thinking a worked 26p Tempest Plus 3 Blade and maybe even a 26-27p worked Brovo.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. The engine I currently have has VERY low hours on it. I bought the boat from the original owner who was a crappie fisherman and never fished a bass tournament out of it. The boat was garage kept and used just a few times a year for short outings. Believe it or not he said when he bought the boat it came with a case of oil which had 6 gallons. He gave me 3 of the original 6 gallons that came in that case. Needless ti say the boat is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm wanting to build my dream boat to fish the OPENS out of next year and that would include selling the 225 EFI and 69 Chevelle SS 396/325 Numbers Matching Big BlocK Chevy (which has been frame off restored and has only 2,000 miles on the restoration) and has 71,500 original miles.

Anywhoo, any words of wisdom or advice you guys could provide me would be much appreciated!

Thank you all so much, there are some pictures of my 203 below :) And I added a hyperlink to my angling webpage if anyone was interested in my interesting story and dream of fishing as a pro. I will tease you with this, as I type this message now, since I was 16 I have undergone 342 lung surgeries, yes that number is correct three hundred and forty two lung surgeries.

God bless and tight lines,

David Cosner

http://www.davidcosnerfishing.com

2. Member
    David- I bought a 2004 Champ 203 with a Merc 250 EFI. Mine was like yours a low hour perfect boat, one of the best ever made. I would just fish a few with your 225 and see how it goes. Mine will do over 70 with a load but I usually run in the mid 60s. Anyway that boat is awesome and whether you have a 225 or a 250 it will put you on the fish. Best of luck in the circuit.

3. Pat Goff
    Speed in itself is always nice to have. That’s a given and we will all agree.

Speed in tournament conditions is different. Seldom do you ever see flat water and calm winds. You have to get from A to B To C, regardless of what the lakes doing. What really makes the decision is how hard can YOU run? That’s not negative but do you really think you’ll use the five mph difference in two foot chop?

Everyone else is going to slow down more than you do even though you’re slow at 68, you’ll be running that same 68 when everyone else has slowed to 50. In all the years and all the events on all the big lakes, I’ve been passed twice. It’s an enduro not a sprint.

Keep your car, let’s get you setup and running hard, you’ll be amazed at how many “80” mph rigs you’ll go around.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Member
    Kudos to Pat Goff. You are blessed to live close to Pat. He's THE man to set your Champion up & lots of advice to guide you. You'll have an Ace in the hole for any hand you get dealt on the trail!!! Good luck & lotta prayers going for your health, travel & fishin!!!

1992 Champion 201 DCR Elite
    2013 Yamaha 250SHO
    HumminBird

5. Member
    Beautiful rig!!!

1992 Champion 201 DCR Elite
    2013 Yamaha 250SHO
    HumminBird

6. Member
    10-4 Mr. Goff your the master and I have to agree with you 100% on your input. Currently I have the money to purchase both a 3 blade and 4 blade prop. If you have some time I would gladly meet with you out in your neck of the woods and discuss some "power" upgrades along with prop options and motor heights to get the most from my 225 EFI. Lets say over breakfast at the Blue Bonnet Cafe. I know your recommendation is a Mercury Tempest Plus 25p worked balanced and blueprinted, and as far as a four blade prop i was looking at the new Mercury Fury 4 props in a 24p (which I am sure can get worked and balanced as well).

Also is it possible for my 225 EFI to run a Torque Master Lower Unit? That way I can really take advantage of the Hydrodynamics 8" Rapid Jack Magnum that Steve was so kind to build for my boat? Also i am still running those trim extenders, and according to Steve he added some extra trim into the plate and advised me to remove them as they now may be OVER trimming my motor.

Thanks a bunch Mr. Pat Goff and let me know when you have some free time, as both me and my father Don Cosner would gladly buy you breakfast in exchange for some 203 setup advice (Props, Where to get them worked, lower unit questions, power modifications, and engine heights) i currently have a 25p Trophy plus that could use some cleaning up, I'm going to save that prop for some of my stumpier tour stops lol.

Hope all is well and look forward to meeting up here in the near future! :)

David Cosner

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Triton View Post
    Beautiful rig!!!
    THANKS!

8. Banned
    Nice Champion....as far as the adding parts list personally I would leave off the power poles and up grade the trolling motor to one with spot lock. Poles are going to add weight and some drag during the hole shot a spot lock will keep you where you want to be without the side effects.

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Beautiful boat, and congrats on your decision to fish pro side of BASS. I have to agree with keeping the efi. Although the above post is probably true, I have been in spawning grounds too shallow to keep TM running, let alone the noise of it. Grant it, you may only be in that situation once next season, but if this is your shot, why mess that up? I would go with poles AND spotlock to have the best of both worlds. With the money you save by not repowering, you can easily afford the spotlock TM.
    Best wishes in all aspects of your dream.

10. Pat Goff
    Dave,
    Free internet advice can be very expensive.....
    If we're going to tweak your sled, here's exactly what I'd be looking at:
    Hold off on the poles. I really have a hard time justifying the weight, expense, and hassle vs the maybe once or twice a year you'd really need it? And if you really needed it, a stake out pole is really more logical.
    Get hold of Steve, and get a 25 Tempest setup to run on your champ, that is the prop that will be used 95% of the time.
    Seriously consider a diet...just from personal experience, the less junk I loaded in the boat, the better my fishing results. If it's not on board, then your mind won't be cluttered with thoughts of using it. Get your menu decided in practice, then execute on tournament day.
    The most difficult to teach, but the absolute most valuable is learning how to reach your potential in really bad water. You have the tool now to run away and hide from everyone when it gets really nasty, it's understanding the cause and effects when the lake starts rolling on you. I learned most of mine the very hard way, but hopefully can cut some corners and make it easier on you. When you can run 50 and everyone else is just putting along trying to not stuff waves, you've got a most serious advantage.

The first and most important commandment: No matter how stupid a move you try, your boat will never hurt you. When that pearl gets burned in your brain, the rest gets really simple.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    10-4 Mr. Goff your 100% Right. The reason for the Power Poles was the ease of docking, holding on a spot and not having to work so har "running" my trolling motor in order to retain some of my stamina and over all cardiovascular limitations. I can also just pole down to eat lunch take a break and do my breathing treatments. Your right about the load in the boat. i will be running it as stripped down as possible on tournament days, as well as managing fuel and calculating exactly the fuel necessary for that days fishing. No point in hauling around extra gas, in the end thats just more weight. i will get in contact with Steve up at HydroDynamics and talk with him about getting a 25P Tempest Plus for my rig and possibly another four blade that he would suggest if the situation calls for it. i will most likely have him clean up my 25p Trophy Plus and send him three spare johnson/evenrude props and a yamaha t-1 i have laying around and he can just have them.

Either way me and my father would still like to meet up some time here in the near future for breakfast. And always thanks for the words of wisdom. I really appreciate it!

David

12. Pat Goff
    Get your tempest in and we can run it.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

13. Member
    Another thing you could do is switch out the fortrex with the Ultrex with the link feature if your running humminbird graphs. The ultrex has the spot lock feature and with the link it can follow contour maps. This would reduce the amount of times you would be using your foot as this bad boy has the hand held remote.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    Another thing you could do is switch out the fortrex with the Ultrex with the link feature if your running humminbird graphs. The ultrex has the spot lock feature and with the link it can follow contour maps. This would reduce the amount of times you would be using your foot as this bad boy has the hand held remote.
    This, will be the best $$$ spent

15. Member
    David,
    I wish you nothing but the very best in the 2018 tournament season! Sorry to hear of your illness and of the number of surgeries you have had. You have a really great looking ride! Sorry I have no input on your boat setup but your in good hands as above posts state. You sir, are an inspiration and prayers and blessings to you and your family! You go out there and make the Champion family proud and school those other pro's! God Bless!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txsunfish View Post
    David,
    I wish you nothing but the very best in the 2018 tournament season! Sorry to hear of your illness and of the number of surgeries you have had. You have a really great looking ride! Sorry I have no input on your boat setup but your in good hands as above posts state. You sir, are an inspiration and prayers and blessings to you and your family! You go out there and make the Champion family proud and school those other pro's! God Bless!
    Well said!

I wish you all the best and will keep you and your family in my prayers. Beautiful boat too!!
    Champion 206
    250XB

17. Member
    you might want to look into talons instead of power poles
    talons run off a battery where as blades need a hydraulic pump and your 203 will be challenged for room with 4 or 5 batteries (3-trolling motor 1 - cranker and maybe 1 more for pumps& electronics)
    also the oil tank and hydraulic pump for the jackplate
    nice boat -- always liked the 203--keep the motor unless you worried about reliability and put your money into tackle
    you're getting into a very expensive game in pro bass fishing

18. Member
    David some good advice from Pat. I heard you telling your story on a podcast recently and want to wish you the best of luck fishing the Opens in 2018.
    God Bless

19. Member
    I'm sure you've heard the best way to become a millionaire fishing is to start out a billionaire.

Add the Ultrex and go give them hell on the circuit.