Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I have a problem with tying braid with either the Uni or a San Diego Jam. The braid gets bunched up and leaves a small loop or two inside the knot. Wetting it seems to make it bunch up worse. Any suggestions?
    With the jam not, once you get it started and fed through pull the loop tight before you cinch it down. Make sure its wet.

I have a problem with tying braid with either the Uni or a San Diego Jam. The braid gets bunched up and leaves a small loop or two inside the knot. Wetting it seems to make it bunch up worse. Any suggestions?
    With the jam not, once you get it started and fed through pull the loop tight before you cinch it down. Make sure its wet.

3. Member
    1:45. Cheap on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    You guys run 8 foot plus leaders ????
    When I tie one on I like it to be long enough to allow for a days worth (or more) of re-ties. I was actually going to try a 15ft leader next time out. Then I only have to deal with 15ft of unruly flouro on a spinning setup instead of a whole spool

Maybe Im doing it wrong, but doing a 2-3 ft leader doesnt make sense to me... like you said the knot is right there, and pretty much every other time you re-tie you would need a new leader... I need to re-tie a lot, especially fishing rocks. Also, a 2-3 ft section of line does not provide much shock absorption between 2 knots.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    You guys run 8 foot plus leaders ????
    Come fish straight braid for smallies on Erie and let me know when you catch one. I’ll wait.....

I normally have a 20’ ish leader on.

6. Member
    As far as braid to fluro/mono the Alberto knot is the only way to go IMO. Easier to tie than the FG and holds just as well and goes through eyes just as well. It is all a matter of perspective though.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    I have zero issues with the Alberto knot strength wise or going through the guides. I tried the fg knot and never could get the hang of it
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

7. Member
    Albright knot too.

FG for me.

I think the issue with the one pictured is that (using the teeth method) there wasn't enough of a "V" pulled into knot as it was being wrapped which causes wraps to roll up on top of each other and look like this. Basically if you're using the teeth method and making your wraps with your right hand, you want to use your left hand to pull a "V" into the long end of the leader and braid that's under tension as you make your wraps. Hopefully that makes sense.

That was the biggest learning curve for me in tying this knot. Based on my testing, it loses a fair amount of its strength if it's got wraps rolled on top of each other (as evidenced by the knot looking straight and uniform). I agree with Jim that I've found it's hardest to get it right when using a lighter leader. I guess because the thinner line doesn't have the stiffness to make it play nice. Pulling the "V" into it forces it to play nice. For those wanting to learn it, practice with something big first until you get the hang of it...think like 65 lb braid and 20 lb leader.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post
    Come fish straight braid for smallies on Erie and let me know when you catch one. I’ll wait.....

Lets do it..you let me know when I should pack

Albright for me. Been using it for years. Low profile, goes through micros just fine, easy to tie and survived this snakehead that towed me around the lake like a trailer. I'm sold. One thing they don't do in the video is wet the knot before pulling it tight, I wet it good before pulling it tight.

Ranting incoherently

J Knot.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

My favorite leader to line knot is a Blood knot because it goes through the guides so easily. It has tested to be every bit as strong as the Uni/Uni but it's a little harder to tie. This tool makes it easy...especially when you're tying very light line like say 6# fluro to something like 15# braid.

Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

So last couple nights I played with knots and ended up going with the Alberto knot since it was almost the smallest and also the easiest to tie consistently. I actually like the way the blood knot finishes (and goes through guides) better, but it is harder to get it consistently clean with small diameter braid and mono (using 20lb Power pro and 8lb flouro), sometimes the flouro just slips back out of the knot before it cinches down. I am going to continue to practice to see if I can get it down more consistently. I tied on some 20 ft leaders to try out this weekend on both my shakey head and weightless fluke spinning rods.

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    So last couple nights I played with knots and ended up going with the Alberto knot since it was almost the smallest and also the easiest to tie consistently. I actually like the way the blood knot finishes (and goes through guides) better, but it is harder to get it consistently clean with small diameter braid and mono (using 20lb Power pro and 8lb flouro), sometimes the flouro just slips back out of the knot before it cinches down. I am going to continue to practice to see if I can get it down more consistently. I tied on some 20 ft leaders to try out this weekend on both my shakey head and weightless fluke spinning rods.
    Here's a good video on how to hand tie the Blood Knot. He makes it look pretty easy. I remember when tying a Uni/Uni was one of life's mysteries but now I can tie it with my eyes closed. I always use the little tool to tie the Blood knot but with some practice I think it would come much easier.

Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Here's a good video on how to hand tie the Blood Knot. He makes it look pretty easy. I remember when tying a Uni/Uni was one of life's mysteries but now I can tie it with my eyes closed. I always use the little tool to tie the Blood knot but with some practice I think it would come much easier.

Appreciate it. Ive been tying the blood knot for years and can almost tie it eyes closed as well haha, but sometimes with the small diameter stuff it just doesnt want to cinch down nicely (or at all really, the knot just slips apart before it cinches), but when it does cinch down it is a great knot! It MAY be something Im doing wrong though (thinking maybe the direction im passing the tag ends back through) so Im going to see if I can figure out why

16. Member
    Blood Knot for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Appreciate it. Ive been tying the blood knot for years and can almost tie it eyes closed as well haha, but sometimes with the small diameter stuff it just doesnt want to cinch down nicely (or at all really, the knot just slips apart before it cinches), but when it does cinch down it is a great knot! It MAY be something Im doing wrong though (thinking maybe the direction im passing the tag ends back through) so Im going to see if I can figure out why
    The little blood knot tool in the other video is a real helper. I confess I can't tie the darn thing without it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

The little blood knot tool in the other video is a real helper. I confess I can't tie the darn thing without it.
    Haha, I remember sitting in my boat years ago (in the garage) and trying to learn the blood knot... I must have went through 100 ft of line trying to learn, frustrated the heck out of me, but I finally (kinda) figured it out

19. Member
    I've been using the FG knot surf fishing the past couple of years, zero issues. Biggest fish on it so far has been a 38" black drum.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post

I normally have a 10 to 15 foot leader on using an Alberto knot but would gladly meet up with you to fish Erie, dinner will be on me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast