When/Why Have your Injectors & Rails Serviced?

2015 225 Pro XS
    Serial #2b118362
    Purchased with 94 hours on it.

The motor was in climate-controlled storage for about six months while my new rig was being built. Per Don's recommendation, a Mercury tech added oil to the compressor and cylinders before they hung the engine on the boat. It was very smoky on startup and for about 20 minutes of idle, now it doesn't smoke at all. I've only put about another 10 hours on it and have religiously adhered to Don's cocktail. Is 104 hours too soon to have the injectors and rails serviced? No real issues with the engine....the only "performance" issue I have is that it was converted to a jet pump and my top end is not close to what the builder thinks the boat should run. The engine starts right up, idles smooth, neck-snapping hole shot. I did a de-carb by filling the inline fuel/water separator with SeaFoam. Get everything serviced now or am I being paranoid as usual?

2. Member
    I think doing it at 104 is a little soon. Don says 300 hrs.

3. Member
    If your running Dons cocktail, using DFI oil in the remote tank, fill up with gas of known quality, and have no fuel system related problems you shouldn't need to complete a de-carb or service the rails & injectors.

The inside of my prop has no carbon deposits at all after 140 hrs.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    If your running Dons cocktail, using DFI oil in the remote tank, fill up with gas of known quality, and have no fuel system related problems you shouldn't need to complete a de-carb or service the rails & injectors.

The inside of my prop has no carbon deposits at all after 140 hrs.
    Thanks for your note. My concerns and reason for the de-carb related to A. Purchasing the engine used and B. It sat in storage for six months. My philosophy is to spend money on preventative maintenance instead of repairs where possible. Yesterday I added the cocktail plus some extra QuickStor, tanked her up with Shell and let her run for 30 minutes this morning to get all the goodness flowing prior to winterization. She goes in to get the reed plate TSB and winterization done in about a week or so and that will be a wrap for 2017. Dang it, winter coming already, this bites.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    On an Optimax Model, my recommendation is:

-ANYTIME there has been any type of failure with the Air Compressor

-ANYTIME performance problems are occurring that cannot be attributed to other systems/components

-Once every 3 years, or 300 hours of operation.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor