New Ranger L Boat spped

Anybody got a Z520L dialed in yet? Wondering about speeds with the new hull. Same as the Z520C or slower?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    On 10/16, Hicky214mx posted a gps speed of 75.6 in his 2018 Z520L. So it doesn’t seem to have slowed down any. Changes from the 520C of last year are cosmetic.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    What motor?
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    ProXS
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    I was told years ago by Mercury that not all motors leave the factory with the same HP there was a +/- acceptable range and if I remember correctly he said +/- 10%

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaGambler View Post
    I was told years ago by Mercury that not all motors leave the factory with the same HP there was a +/- acceptable range and if I remember correctly he said +/- 10%
    Highly doubt there is that much variance. Prob more like 1-2%... what you might have heard was they can actually make within or up to 10% more of their sticker HP.

I used to get to dyno a bunch of motorcycles, and stock hp for a given year/make/model was pretty predictable within a couple hp. Production engines, while not a close in spec to "racing division" or built (by a professional) engines, are still held to pretty tight tolerances
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    That's sounds pretty good. I was wondering if they changed the bottom of the hull at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    On 10/16, Hicky214mx posted a gps speed of 75.6 in his 2018 Z520L. So it doesn’t seem to have slowed down any. Changes from the 520C of last year are cosmetic.
    It should be noted however, this was with no tackle on board and running lithium batteries. That being said, we are definitely seeing strong numbers from these boats.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Highly doubt there is that much variance. Prob more like 1-2%... what you might have heard was they can actually make within or up to 10% more of their sticker HP.

I used to get to dyno a bunch of motorcycles, and stock hp for a given year/make/model was pretty predictable within a couple hp. Production engines, while not a close in spec to "racing division" or built (by a professional) engines, are still held to pretty tight tolerances
    Ive had a two boats now that had new Pro XS installed after 3 years use and have noticed considerable power differences between each. Same thing for 3 blade furys. Ran a test with 6 props all consecutively, there was a 4 MPH variation from best to worst. And the best prop was the seccond one run.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun21x View Post
    Ive had a two boats now that had new Pro XS installed after 3 years use and have noticed considerable power differences between each. Same thing for 3 blade furys. Ran a test with 6 props all consecutively, there was a 4 MPH variation from best to worst. And the best prop was the seccond one run.
    Were the engines the same year? If so and one was significantly/noticeably stronger there might have been an issue with the other... With that said, there are always "freak" engines (aka Wed or Friday engines) that dont adhere to the 1-2% variance, just hope you get one of the GOOD ones

Now props, that's a different story! A lot of variance in those, 3 props will usually all run different, and why mine always get sent to Brian after I do a base run
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

If you have noticed the ProXs motors always have a little carbon in the exhaust when you uncrate them. It is my understanding that they all are given a test run in the factory coming off the assembly line hooked up to a test apparatus checking for horsepower and other factors.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Hawglip View Post
    That's sounds pretty good. I was wondering if they changed the bottom of the hull at all.
    I have been told by a Ranger representative that the pad is different. I was debating whether to order the "L" or the "C." Personally, I think the "C" looks better. I was strongly encouraged to get the "L" in that there had been reports of skidding on the pad with the "C" when engaging in a tight turn. I was told the "L" would not do that. I have no idea is this is factual or not, but I opted for the "L". It sounded to me like the "L" is the future.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Were the engines the same year? If so and one was significantly/noticeably stronger there might have been an issue with the other... With that said, there are always "freak" engines (aka Wed or Friday engines) that dont adhere to the 1-2% variance, just hope you get one of the GOOD ones

Now props, that's a different story! A lot of variance in those, 3 props will usually all run different, and why mine always get sent to Brian after I do a base run
    Most were 2-3 years apart. In order.. 08' strong, 10' soft, 12' strong, 16' soft. 2-3 mph is usually the difference, which is more that 2%. Based on MPH...maybe all replacements were Friday engines...lol...does Brian work props? If so what are the expected gains?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsb0824 View Post
    I have been told by a Ranger representative that the pad is different. I was debating whether to order the "L" or the "C." Personally, I think the "C" looks better. I was strongly encouraged to get the "L" in that there had been reports of skidding on the pad with the "C" when engaging in a tight turn. I was told the "L" would not do that. I have no idea is this is factual or not, but I opted for the "L". It sounded to me like the "L" is the future.
    I had the same dilemma...C or L solely based on looks. Funny though just like when the C's came out...initially I didn't like the consoles, same with the L's but after seeing them on the newly designed Ranger website the L has really grown on me.