1998 Mercury XRI 150 HP Motor Alternator Questions

I have a Series 27 and a Series 29 battery. I currently have the Series 27 hooked to my pumps, lights, Starter for the Motor, and 2 HB units, 1198 and 898. I have a second battery, Series 29, Hooked to a Blue Seas fuse panel that powers a HB 999, HB 360 ASTM, and Humminbird 5 port Hub. I would like to install one of the Battery Switches that allows me to switch between battery 1, Battery 2 or both or none. Does the Alternator have enough power to charge both batteries if I have the switch in the Both Position?

Regards,

Bob Payne

2. Member
    As long as the batteries are not completely drained, there shouldn't be a problem. The more discharged the batteries are, the heavier the load on the alternator. That motor probably has a 35A alternator, so if loaded heavy it would be working harder. That equates to heat.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Any other input?

4. Member
    Any other opinions or am I going to have to reach out to an Outboard Mechanic to get info?

I figure that is totally dependent on the driver and how long the motor is ran.
    A short run won't do much charging..