Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starter Bass Boats

Hey all, potentially getting in the market to purchase my 1st bass boat by spring. Fish club & charity Tx's primarily as a non-boater now and would use it for such. Been keeping an eye on the boats for sale board and all of those are well out of my price range (<$10k out the door, ideally closer to $7/8k). Like to think I came close on a 2001 Ranger but someone beat me to it and it's gone now. I'm guessing my price range limits my options substantially as there doesn't seem to be a lot available now Will that change come spring? I've toyed with the idea of a 17-footer, but kinda feel like a minimum 18' gives much more storage space. That also seems to fluctuate with brand/year of the boats I've seen.

So as I re-read the above, there's not really much of question in there except whether the market inventory improves. I guess I'm looking for ideas on how to narrow down what should look for in a 1st boat (one brand over another?, lengths, how old is too old?, etc.). How did you decide on your first bass boat purchase?

Might check Craigslist. Too me that's where the "cheaper" boats are because they don't want to pay for the listing. Lots of nice boats in my area just depends on what your looking for. Sounds like your wanting fiberglass around 18'. I've seen some sweet older Ranger 461. To me it seems you can find some cherry Rangers out there if you look.

3. Member
    Thanks, yeah I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist. Trying to be patient given the time of the year and how little use I'd get out of one between now and March. Can't seem to make up my mind between Ranger, Triton, Stratos, or even a Skeeter. Been told to stay away from Bass Trackers based on the type of fishing I do (Tx, mostly). Will say that 18' seems to be my minimum. Also, as I look, it should be noted that I will be towing with a Toyota Tacoma TRD with the tow package. So I do have to be aware of weights.

4. Member
    No particular boat brands to recommend for a starter as long as you purchase a name brand that has withstood the test of time...i.e. Ranger, Champion, Skeeter, Stratos, etc. From personal experience I would recommend a brand name of outboard however if you purchase a model year of motor 2004 or older...Yamaha. I've owned all brands before that year and the Yamahas were significantly better and very reliable. The Yamaha ox66 model (1998 to 2004) is arguably the most reliable outboard ever made. The direct injected outboards newer than 2004 get better gas mileage but that can be an unfair tradeoff for reliability issues and repair expenses. The only exception to that is Yamaha HPDI's 200hp and under after the 2003 model year...they were very reliable and fuel efficient. The Yamaha HPDI's over 200hp however had a poor design and were not very reliable, also early Mercury Optimax motors were poorly made as well and Mercurys before Optimax had common electrical issues/failures as did the Johnsons and Evinrudes too . But whatever outboard you decide on verify with a mechanic that the block/powerhead is healthy. Welcome to the boating world!
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

Bullet 20cc is right on the money on the outboards. Also would have to include with the older ox66 Yamaha being choice one, then EFI Mercury's are good motors. They like gas but reliable motors too. If your not in a hurry and can travel some you can find a nice ride. You might also look at Blazer boats, light weight boat so you might be able to get into a 19' or 20' boat to pull with your Taco. Blazers don't "fish" as well as Ranger's but they ride nice and are fast boats. Think you need to get a 2000 or newer to get a composite transom.

6. Member
    Thanks, seemed like they upgraded that transom 2 years later on that model.

Honestly sounds more daunting trying to find a reliable boat and then a specific type of engine. The stratos I was looking at (1999) had a Johnson motor I believe. Just gotta keep looking I guess.

7. Member
    What you need to do first is set your maximum budget.Then you have to decide what boat you would settle for, fiberglass or aluminum. Think about what motor you would want for ease of use, horsepower rating of the boat compared to the installed motor. Some motors are less expensive to repair. Also you would want to get the latest model you can, as newer technology is usually better. Then think, can you make repairs yourself or do you have to pay someone else to do simple things like changing filters, spark plugs, impellers, coils, etc? Buying an old boat and old motor will probably cost you more in the long run because there always seems to be something that needs fixing or upgrading. Think about adding accessories (depth finders, trolling motor, battery chargers, new battery) the cost of this stuff adds up fast. Lastly, how far would you be willing to travel to buy a boat? Personally, I would drive 1000 miles for the right boat. Widen your search as far as you feel is reasonable. Some of the older Champions and Rangers are good boats. If they were taken care of, they could be a good investment. You should be able to test ride in any boat before buying it. Think about how you would make the financial transaction. Taking a bundle of cash to a strange place to buy something is not smart. Make sure you take a friend with you. At this time of year there will be a lot of good boats on the market. As you get closer to spring those boats will be gone. Craigslist is a good place to look but, as I said, start looking now. Boats that are left are going to be picked over. Also look at boat dealers. They are going to have trade-ins that they will want to unload, possibly offering them at a better price. Good luck on your search.

I held to my budget and the best bang for the buck that I found for a new boat with the warranty was the new Tracker 40th Anniversary. I understand a few have negative to say about the Tracker but I will see. Ordered mine up earlier this week. It may be an option for you.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisk1tSnGraV View Post
    I held to my budget and the best bang for the buck that I found for a new boat with the warranty was the new Tracker 40th Anniversary. I understand a few have negative to say about the Tracker but I will see. Ordered mine up earlier this week. It may be an option for you.
    PICS OR ITS NOT TRUE!!!!!hahaha jk congrats fellow tracker owner!

I love mine! and its just a 04 PT175. Havent fully been tested in the wind....but it did good riding the tiny whitecaps that were forming around 15-20mph sustained winds. Not too worried about wind....plus I wont be out on those crazy days anyway. Ive seen Mikeyballz vids where he is head into some wind on okechobee....and his boat did well! I really think you need to learn your rig and lake conditions most importantly...instead of it being a simple aluminum v fiberglass type thing.

Yes....in a perfect world all things equal a fiberglass can handle more wind and get you going faster. BUT with that said....ive gathered that the whole "aluminums cant handle/compare" people.....are somewhat spoiled since they went fiberglass and own it themselves. As someone who went aluminum cuz my main/home lake is rocky.....and ALSO someone who scraped the bottom of the boat and skeg in super shallow water already (just bought boat in october lol)....I still say aluminum can definitely compare! Maybe not apples to apples....but if we did a pros/cons of each list....theyd stack up.

Now...if I was a elite pro, or fishing lakes where I had to run miles and hours to get to a spot i'd consider fiberglass as the best choice. But for my purposes aluminum is the winner! Im prolly gonna rub people the wrong way...but i also feel that people have been conditioned into thinking fiberglass was head and shoulders above aluminum by the pros, marketing and big name companies. Ike started on an aluminum and killed it cutting his teeth on the lower circuits grinding his way up. John Cox is killing it in FLW...and the dude didnt even run a graph on the front deck, just console for the longest time on top of that! lol Rick Clunn fished the classic in one (tracker too). Steve Kennedy killed it fishing out of his 17 foot tracker a big chunk of his career....plus also ran an aluminum in the classic! Ask Gerald Swindle what boat he uses in the offseason....he just posted a video of an absolutely epic aluminum Triton, and he even called it tourney ready iirc (its on youtube). Oh yea.....Ott Defoe is winning BASS tourneys out of a tricked out aluminum too.

If aluminums are so sub par.....why did BASS recently (maybe this year?) effectively ban them with the rule that anglers had to use the same boat all year. They did it to prevent people like defoe from hammering the competition getting to where the fish are at.

rant over....lol Just what ive gathered from my hours on hours of researching ive done before and after purchasing my tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisk1tSnGraV View Post
    ^^THIS^^ With the Warranty and all parts NEW, right now this is the best bang for the buck !! Worth a few extra months to save the additional $$'s !!! `Unless you run big water, Tracker is a great first boat. You might get a good deal on a cheaper glass boat, but there may (actually for sure) you're gonna run into some repairs and if it's motor, the cost can be big.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    I was in the same boat as you when I was looking for my first bass boat, wanting as nice of a boat as I could possibly get without breaking my very limited budget. My advice to you is HAVE PATIENCE. It took me a long time to find a good boat under my top dollar, but I eventually did. I ended up buying a near flawless 1997 ProCraft 180 Bass with a 1997 Mercury 150XR6 for $6,750 out the door....my top dollar was $8K at the time. I was lucky enough to find that "one-in-a-million" type of boat/deal. I miss that ProCraft a lot! The OX66 Yamahas are great motors, but I would say the XR6 Mercs were right there with them on reliability, even though the XR6 is only the 150's, they were great motors. On the other hand, that 40th Anniversary Tracker is a heck of a deal and thats what I would buy for a first boat if I was doing it all over again, I would pick brand new aluminum with warranty over bigger, older glass with potential problems. I was lucky enough to find that "one-in-a-million" type of boat/deal. I miss that ProCraft a lot!
    1999 Bullet 21XDC
    2016 Mercury 300xs
    2020 Ford Powerstroke FX4

12. Member
    And for the record, this is the IDEAL time to buy a used boat. While most have 'em parked waiting on warmer weather. You just need to look at all the right places, and be ready to buy in a hurry when you find just what you want. Get financing worked out before you start looking. Good used boats disappear quicker than a 747 on Copperfield's stage. :)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

13. Member

14. Member
    Everyone's starter is probably different. For me it was tin + 45 hp then 17" glass + 115 hp then 18' 8" glass + 150 hp. That took place over 30 years and I've now bought my last boat.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

15. Member

Buying a used boat Under 10,000

http://www.baybass.com/node/200

My friend Bryan is an amazing teacher of the sport of bass fishing. He is also a very good writer. That came from his baybass.com website. I am glad you enjoyed it. Lots of real life lessons helped write it.

16. Member
    Lots of good tips, best one is have patience. I started looking in June finally bought end of Sept. I feel I got a great deal with budget to put new electronics on it.

Also had a boat and motor inspection, met the guy at the dealer. Brought some cash and cashiers check.

Be patient and when it's the right deal you will know it. Have fun!
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

was going to suggest a retro tracker tin boat, id rather use it not fix it and i bet you can use the heck out of the boat, and learn what to do and not do...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 20cc View Post
    No particular boat brands to recommend for a starter as long as you purchase a name brand that has withstood the test of time...i.e. Ranger, Champion, Skeeter, Stratos, etc. From personal experience I would recommend a brand name of outboard however if you purchase a model year of motor 2004 or older...Yamaha. I've owned all brands before that year and the Yamahas were significantly better and very reliable. The Yamaha ox66 model (1998 to 2004) is arguably the most reliable outboard ever made. The direct injected outboards newer than 2004 get better gas mileage but that can be an unfair tradeoff for reliability issues and repair expenses. The only exception to that is Yamaha HPDI's 200hp and under after the 2003 model year...they were very reliable and fuel efficient. The Yamaha HPDI's over 200hp however had a poor design and were not very reliable, also early Mercury Optimax motors were poorly made as well and Mercurys before Optimax had common electrical issues/failures as did the Johnsons and Evinrudes too . But whatever outboard you decide on verify with a mechanic that the block/powerhead is healthy. Welcome to the boating world!
    What year Optimax were the more reliable ones? 2004 and newer?

19. Member
    Actually, Club has Tx's on Champlain, the Hudson, and Candlewood this year. A little worried how'd a smaller aluminum would handle.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    ^^THIS^^ With the Warranty and all parts NEW, right now this is the best bang for the buck !! Worth a few extra months to save the additional $$'s !!! `Unless you run big water, Tracker is a great first boat. You might get a good deal on a cheaper glass boat, but there may (actually for sure) you're gonna run into some repairs and if it's motor, the cost can be big.

20. Member
    Hello all. Newbie here. I have decided to get into bass fishing a little more seriously, so my john boat just isn't going to work anymore. I've looked at a lot of posts and forums and looked at some boats. A 86 Ranger 18' 371v, a 1995 Javelin 377a (not impressed), and will be going to look at a 88 Hydra Sport tomorrow. My question is, as someone who's completely new to big boating, what's the obsession with speed that I see? I can't see why it's so important to go 70+ mph. Am I missing something, or do I "just not get it"? Also, please feel free to give me any advice on type, brand, length, etc of boat a beginning bass boater might need to know. I don't fish big water. I'm in TN and Center Hill, Percy Priest, Dale Hollow, Cordell Hull, Old Hickory are all within an hour of me, so I figure we'll start there lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast