Thread: Flywheel Teeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flywheel Teeth

M5 808 MERC #2B008691 75 B5770 (thats the complete sticker)
    i noticed yesterday that 2 or 3 teeth in two different places on the flywheel look angled or pointed on the tips instead of flat like the rest... Looks to me like the starter isn't close enough to the flywheel and only engaging the tips of the flywheel teeth...if you look at the inside of the teeth you can see where the starter contacts it.. Maybe only 20% of the surface of the tooth is making contact.. But unless I'm missing something this starter can't be adjusted in any direction..Anybody even heard of this?
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 11-14-2017 at 08:43 PM.
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Anyone perhaps turned key to start when the engine was already running?

Just to confirm- we're discussing the UPPER set of teeth on the flywheel, correct?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Anyone perhaps turned key to start when the engine was already running?

Just to confirm- we're discussing the UPPER set of teeth on the flywheel, correct?
    yes the upper where the starter contacts the teeth...well,ive never hit the starter when it was running that i know of.it looks like it is doing it in 3 different places,almost like if you drew a triangle on top of the flywheel...2 to 3 teeth in each spot...i can pull the starter gear up and mesh it with the flywheel and it looks like it is only contacting maybe 20% of the tooth surface.i believe the starter could go 2/16 inch closer to the flywheel and still have some slack...i checked the starter bolts and they are tight
    115 PRO XS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Only other common cause would be starter having been removed and not properly indexed/installed when it's put back on the engine. Not much you can do outside of that (other than replacement of components).

Those three spots likely correspond to the compression strokes of each of the 3 cylinders.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Only other common cause would be starter having been removed and not properly indexed/installed when it's put back on the engine. Not much you can do outside of that (other than replacement of components).

Those three spots likely correspond to the compression strokes of each of the 3 cylinders.
    Yeah.. Honda has a Similar problem with there V6 engines.. There solution is to remove the torque converter bolts,rotate the convertor counter clockwise one bolt hole and replace the starter.(The starter ring gear is made on the torque convertor )..
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 11-16-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    115 PRO XS

6. Member
    I Have seen several starter flywheel falures on the 3 cyl always starter the upper bearing housing will ware out causing starter gear to lose good contact with ring gear it is trying to kick out on TDC of each cyl

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Evans View Post
    I Have seen several starter flywheel falures on the 3 cyl always starter the upper bearing housing will ware out causing starter gear to lose good contact with ring gear it is trying to kick out on TDC of each cyl
    I'll look at it again tonight and check for play...this motor probably has less than 50hrs on it
    115 PRO XS

Nope..starter is tight,no play at all
    115 PRO XS

9. Member
    damn just started having this prob in my 2003 90 starter jammed last night prop wrench was the only thing in the boat that could turn it to unjam it guess im putting off the carpet job s#iT

10. Member
    starter bearing goin out on top of starter allowing shaft and gear to not engage propperly

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Coondawg: We don't hi-jack other people's threads to place multi-post rants. If you've got a problem with your engine you need HELP with, start your own thread and post the engine serial number for assistance.

Ranger RT... not sure how much stock I would be putting into all of this. Get someone knowledgeable to check out what's going on with your engine (hands and eyeballs "on")... so that you know what your real situation is.

Nothing is impossible... but I've never seen a case of starter, flywheel, AND drive gear through the cowling.

Coondawg: We don't hi-jack other people's threads to place multi-post rants. If you've got a problem with your engine you need HELP with, start your own thread and post the engine serial number for assistance.

Ranger RT... not sure how much stock I would be putting into all of this. Get someone knowledgeable to check out what's going on with your engine (hands and eyeballs "on")... so that you know what your real situation is.

Nothing is impossible... but I've never seen a case of starter, flywheel, AND drive gear through the cowling.
    Coondawg's posts have been removed.

13. Member
    Was not hijacking thread. Just giving an honest answer. And never said anything about flywheel,or starter going through the cowling. I said the starter gear flew off . If nobody but the mechanics are supposed to have an opinion, and tell someone what could possibly happen then i guesse i was wrong for telling Ranger RT what happened to my engine. I did ask for help on this site but didnt get any.

Have you seen any of these 3 cyl 75/90/115.. Doing this?
    I know I'm not a Mercury technician but do know how to check the starter for bearing issues.. I don't feel any slack or play.. I've watched it up close while somebody started it with the kill switch engaged.. There is no movement and everything looks normal when it's starting..
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 11-28-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    115 PRO XS

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've not seen a failure of this sort, personally (and we do service a fair number of these engines).

16. Member
    took a closer look at mine 2003 90elpto ser 0t687644 and it is the same thing as op 3-4 teeth damaged at three positions on flywheel hope this isn't considered a hijacking if it is please remove

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wear at the positions that correspond to the compression strokes is not uncommon. Not something that usually poses a problem, however.

Wear at the positions that correspond to the compression strokes is not uncommon. Not something that usually poses a problem, however.
    Thanks Don...ill just keep an eye on it from time to time..im not having any troubles so maybe its normal
    115 PRO XS

19. Banned
    Interesting thread, after reading it, I checked the flywheels on my 75hp Opti. All the teeth look great, but it's something I will keep an eye on

20. Member
    guess ill drop my starter and get a better look at it first chance i get

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast