Thread: SML help please

SML help please

Been to SML many times but moved away 3+ years ago. Renting a house for Thanksgiving near Hales ford bridge. Any input is appreciated for both bass & striper, maybe even crappie.

2. Member
    I haven't been, but history says wiggle wart on rocky banks. its good stuff around where you are staying

3. Member
    They've been in the back of creeks eating GP jigs in 4-10ft of water
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Back of the creeks and water depth is a big help. Thanks. and you're right, that is a great area. I'm right across from Betty's and Becky's, along with Campers and Indian are my favorite creeks on that end of the lake. You can bet I'll start with a crankbait Sunday with the wind they are predicting. But I can't fish a day there without pitching to docks.

Any top water bite still going on? Or has it gotten too cold? Also, are the gulls circling the lake searching for feeding stripers yet? My recollection is that started around mid December but could be wrong, recollection being what it is. I'm assuming dusk, Dawn, and at night for striper. Any thoughts there? I only use lures for striper.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 191 champ View Post
    Back of the creeks and water depth is a big help. Thanks. and you're right, that is a great area. I'm right across from Betty's and Becky's, along with Campers and Indian are my favorite creeks on that end of the lake. You can bet I'll start with a crankbait Sunday with the wind they are predicting. But I can't fish a day there without pitching to docks.

Any top water bite still going on? Or has it gotten too cold? Also, are the gulls circling the lake searching for feeding stripers yet? My recollection is that started around mid December but could be wrong, recollection being what it is. I'm assuming dusk, Dawn, and at night for striper. Any thoughts there? I only use lures for striper.
    See if my website can help you out with the SML Striper fishing.

http://www.VirginiaStripers.com
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children
    ><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'· .¸.·´¯'·...><((((º>

6. Member
    Today they were deep 20-25 ft water on secondary points 1/2 to 3/4 way back in the creek channels. Still chewin on a jig

7. Member
    Awesome, thanks. Supprised they are still that deep! Will be launching in the morning. Will post my results.

Question about stripers. I've never fished at night in the fall. I've caught them on redfins and thunder sticks during the shad spawn at night fishing them as a wake bait with good success. I read the link provided that mentioned using redfins at night. Are you fishing them as wake baits in the fall too?

8. Member
    Awesome, thanks. Supprised they are still that deep! Will be launching in the morning. Will post my results.

Question about stripers. I've never fished at night in the fall. I've caught them on redfins and thunder sticks during the shad spawn at night fishing them as a wake bait with good success. I read the link provided that mentioned using redfins at night. Are you fishing them as wake baits in the fall too?
    For fall night fishing for Stripers, I use Redfins and Thundersticks as wake baits on the surface, I use Rebel "Fast Trax" medium runners for cranking (surface to 7-10 feet), and I use Rapala "Vampires" for cranking (surface to about 10 feet). I also use Zoom "Super Flukes" pearl white color on a 1/4 oz. jig head for cranking all depths.

All these are very productive for the SML stripers.

So far this fall I have been catching them just before daylight, right after dark, and between 11:00 PM and 2:00 AM. The baitfish are now working there way to the back of the creeks, and the Stripers are following them.

9. Member
    Wow, thanks a bunch. Got out for about five hours today bass fishing. Only caught two, one on a wopper plopper, the other a jig. Best was about 18.5". Will probably try for strpers tomorrow night. I doubt I'll be out until 2:00 though.

10. Member
    one reason they were so deep for me maybe was because the water is sooooo clear right now!

11. Member
    Wow, thanks a bunch. Got out for about five hours today bass fishing. Only caught two, one on a wopper plopper, the other a jig. Best was about 18.5". Will probably try for strpers tomorrow night. I doubt I'll be out until 2:00 though.
    I usually get on the lake just before dark and fish till daylight, so I can fish all three time-zones.

Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    one reason they were so deep for me maybe was because the water is sooooo clear right now!
    Love that clear water

13. Member
    What a terrible week. I fished sml for 20 plus years before moving away and might get skunked once or twice per year, even fishing through the winter. I got skunked twice this week and never caught a limit. This was a family trip, not a fishing trip and I never got out more than 4 hours in a single stretch but dang it man, I think I've forgotten how to fish. Still had a good time. Never tried the fall night striper bite before. Thanks for all the great input. Really appreciate it.

What a terrible week. I fished sml for 20 plus years before moving away and might get skunked once or twice per year, even fishing through the winter. I got skunked twice this week and never caught a limit. This was a family trip, not a fishing trip and I never got out more than 4 hours in a single stretch but dang it man, I think I've forgotten how to fish. Still had a good time. Never tried the fall night striper bite before. Thanks for all the great input. Really appreciate it.
    Its definitely a very humbling lake, that's for sure.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

15. Member
    Yesterday the warmer afternoon seemed to have them moved up a little shallower still about 2/3 the way back in creek arms is where we were catching em