Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best bearing lubricant ?

I'm enjoying working on these reels.. Might as well do it right.
    What is the best oil for new ceramic bearings.
    Any to NOT use.

2. Member
    Anything but the red Quantum Hot Sauce. Save the hot sauce for food and not reels.

Lots of good ones. The little bottle Shimano includes with their reels is good, Boca Lighning lube, rockett fuel, and Hedgehog Studios low viscosity oil. I want to try the ZPI stuff some time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    Anything but the red Quantum Hot Sauce. Save the hot sauce for food and not reels.

Lots of good ones. The little bottle Shimano includes with their reels is good, Boca Lighning lube, rockett fuel, and Hedgehog Studios low viscosity oil. I want to try the ZPI stuff some time as well.
    Glad I asked -- just happened to have some.. Not so good with my breakfast taco either..

4. Member
    What is the TRUTH on oiling ceramic bearings or not? I’ve been hearing it both ways for years.

Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post

THIS^^^
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I tried them all. Best I found is Lucus Reel oil. Does not gt sticky like some.
    I used Yellow Rocket Fuel for year and found this to be better IMO
    https://lucasoil.com/products/marine...shing-reel-oil

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
    What is the TRUTH on oiling ceramic bearings or not? I’ve been hearing it both ways for years.
    Truth is it isn't required. For best performance, no oil is your best bet. For longevity, oil is good. For the best of both worlds, one drop of a high performance super low viscosity oil (like boca lightning lube or hedgehog). IMO,
    this will prevent water from getting where isn't supposed to and make the bearings a little quieter, without robbing functional performance. This isn't a case where one side is wrong, and the other is right.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Dh0ckey11 View Post
    Truth is it isn't required. For best performance, no oil is your best bet. For longevity, oil is good. For the best of both worlds, one drop of a high performance super low viscosity oil (like boca lightning lube or hedgehog). IMO,
    this will prevent water from getting where isn't supposed to and make the bearings a little quieter, without robbing functional performance. This isn't a case where one side is wrong, and the other is right.
    Thanks -- that makes sense to me..

Yellow Rocket Fuel

10. David Evans
    Try a hobby shop as well. Some of the rc manufactures make some pretty good stuff.

This stuff ... it's insanely good. It dries and leaves a lubricating film on the bearing surfaces that lasts a looooooong time.

We have an air circulator fan for the living room in the summer. After a few years of service it slowed to a crawl and we were going to chuck it. Just for fun I took it apart, cleaned it up and used this on the fan shaft and the motor bushings the shaft rides in ... now the thing is like an airplane propeller, even after you shut it off the blade freewheels forever

After cleaning and drying your bearings, one or two drops is all you need.

PM me your info and I'll send you a tiny bottle with enough to do a bunch of reels. It aint cheap, may as well try it for nothing to see if you like it.

Ranting incoherently

Can't beat a deal like that.
    Thanks !

13. Member
    Mike checkout Alan Tani forum great info on all subjects reel related. And TSI is awesome chit for sure, best I’ve used. Been maintaining mine and a few others reels for many years.

Some fine folks we have on here.
    Thanks gentlemen !!

15. Member
    Haven't seen anyone mention Reel Butter. I like it, and I think it's smoother than the small bottles of oils that come with some reels. Better than Hot Sauce for sure.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

TSI 321 is definitely the best out there. Kind of hard to find, and kind of pricey, but it is awesome stuff.
    13 year old Tracker

17. Member
    Another TSI 321 user here. Love it for my reels and guns.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

18. Member
    I use TSI 321 on my SS bearings, but Aust Met Oil to keep the ceramics quiet. For ceramic I would wonder why 321 would do them any good since it was developed for NASA for metal surfaces. Hobby shops sell Aust Met Oil for the bearings in remote race cars.

While racing rc I always used Dans banana lube. Use it on reel bearings now also
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

20. Member
    The TSI 321 is great stuff!!!! I use it on all my reels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast