Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
    JR19 inspired me. Got a $25 air hose reel, 18 in rubber tarp strap for shock relief on rope. Works great for solo launching.

Glad I inspired you...great job thinking outside the box and taking my idea to another level. I might just borrow your idea

Got the reel at Northern tool

I really like your version better because it mounts to the boat and stays with the boat. The way I have mine when I want to haul something in my truck I have to remove it. By mounting it on the boat trailer you never have to worry about moving it because it will never be in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gleninaz View Post
    I back the boat in until it starts to float, unhook the winch strap, get in and park the boat then park the truck. Works and takes a couple of minutes.
    Same here. The ramps I use are cross cut for drainage. Yeah, I have a Hamby, but I’m still not beaching my boat on the ramp.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Banned
    Those reel contraptions dont look easier than grabbing a hand full of rope and throwing it in the boat after launching.

Seems like Ive towed a boat that was broken down on the water at least one per season for a long time. Nice to have a rope in case I need towed also!
    Last edited by Jeff from Iowa; 01-10-2018 at 10:33 AM.

6. Member
    Here in Ohio, it's the law. You have to have 50' of tow rope,50' of anchor with an anchor attached. Also, you must give assistance,to vessels displaying distress signals.

7. Member
    I call it boat on a rope. 2' long 1/2" conduit and a rope that is about 10 feet longer then the trailer. I also would also normally back in until floating then unhook, climb in and go park, HOWEVER the ramps here in NM are super super shallow/long. I have to have the truck backed all 4 tires into the water before the boat thinks about floating and with the keel guard having it rest on the ramp will not hurt it (if your careful). Other issue we have here is the docks have a 20-30' long cat walk before you get to actual dock. really silly if you ask me but this is what i've had to do to not get wet first thing in the morning. Loading by myself I always have to get in the water, I back the truck in far enough i can drive the boat on the trailer then still have to get from the boat to the drivers seat, only time i hate having a topper on my truck!
    !
    Last edited by mac87toy; 01-13-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    I do exactly the same, only put my poles down
    Me too I have a dock beside where I launch so I'll deploy my talon and. Toss the bow rope over on the dock and park

9. Banned
    I back the boat in until it starts to float, unhook the winch strap, get in and park the boat then park the truck. Works and takes a couple of minutes.
    Same here

10. Member
    I always install an Anchor Rein (https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Bruns.../dp/B0000AZ8S1) on the bow of my boats. Always. I tie a metal clip to the end of the rope. When launching, I clip the end of the line to my trailer and back her in. Not only is the Anchor Rein good for launching, it is a permanent line at your fingertips to tie up; never digging in a box for a rope.

Tim

11. Member
    Interesting device.

I guess I am old school and don't want something important (like a throwing or towing rope) closed inside of a mechanical device just when I need it the most. Mechanical things seem to fail, mostly in salt water, just when I need them.

If I were to use it (sure would keep the area neat and tidy), I'd still have a 25/30 foot rope coiled and ready nearby and NOT in a box. Thanks for sharing.

12. Member
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

13. Member
    From the TH item "Fasten a hook to your trailer, connect a steel ring to the winch, and lock the winch. You're ready for the smoothest watercraft launching on the water."

Huh?

14. Member
    I installed a ring bolt to my trailer, just clip the rope end to it and the other to the boat. Back down slow until the boat floats off and pull out of the water just enough to unclip the rope with out getting your feet wet. I have a talon now so same thing but boat doesnt start floating towards the truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. @delta_fisher
    Man, I don't know where you guys launch, but around here, the boat would be pulled into the rocks if I left it tied to a rope and backed it out unmanned. Beach the boat against the keelguard? the river will keep pushing the end around on you. Have to use the dock.

I back up until she floats, unhook the winch, climb aboard and dock her. Takes me no time at all to launch, and I'm usually already under power and on my way fishing before the guy next to me is done backing in his boat
    99 Triton TR18 DC
    99 Evinrude Ficht 150

Striped bass angler, CA Delta

@delta_fisher @pondscumanglers
    @limitlures @slyguylures
    @nor.cal.kat

16. Member
    Works for me. Plus, easier on my 91# Lab.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Like y'all, I launch by myself a lot on different style ramps. Some ramps I can back in and step on my trailer tongue and hop in the boat and back right off the trailer while other ramps i have to crawl in the back of my truck to get in the boat to avoid wading in the water.

I have since put a camper on my truck which required me carry waders to get in the boat so as not to get wet, or, use a rope. Thru trial and error I have found the best solution for me is to use the z launch (long bungee cord). Just string out 6-8' of winch strap and hook the z launch and float the boat off trailer and ease up. The only draw back for some would be this would require you bump your keel guard against the ramp. I have launched in very windy conditions with rip rap lined ramps and never had an issue. Just another option that has worked really well for me.

ZLaunch is way too short, dragging the boat onto the ramp with the truck. With my rope and bungee shock cord, I can pull the trailer out of the water and park the truck on the ramp, walk to waters edge of ramp and carefully retrieve the boat and stopping it just shy of contact so the hull never touches the ramp (I still have a keel guard just in case). When loading on trailer at end of day I use the reel to quickly wind up the rope/ bungee ready for another launch.

I’ve never understood the need for the long rope. I do the above. I do not take any longer to clear the ramp as when the boat is left at the ramp. I have a buddy who thinks he has to have a rope like the above to launch his boat. We showed up at the ramp at the same time. I was gone before him...

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

20. Member
    I do occasionally have to climb on to the truck bed to avoid getting my feet wet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast