Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I need to try this rope method once.

I'm solo 99% of the time... right before backing in the water, I drop the tail gate, and loosen the winch line but leave it attached to the boat..

I back in til the rear floats, then climb on my tire, into the bed, across the tailgate, into the boat.. verify the engine starts, reach under unhook the winch line, and back off... tie the boat up, move the truck..

2. Member
    "into the bed" Ahhh, the advantage of having a truck bed on which to climb. Still, the long-rope method is good to know.

3. Member
    when i launch my boat in cold water (have a topper on my truck) I have an old pair of waders i put on and get in boat , start boat , move boat to shore and go park truck, put waders back in truck and get in boat and go. Kind of hassle but i dont have wet cold feet all day .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

I usually put the boat in close enough to a dock that I can hurry up on down to the boat and tie up with a bungee to the dock. I have never launched where there was not dock next to the launch ramp. I'm getting some good ideas from threads like this though in case the need ever comes up. thumb.gif
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gleninaz View Post
    I back the boat in until it starts to float, unhook the winch strap, get in and park the boat then park the truck. Works and takes a couple of minutes.
    Same here. No problems yet. Now when I was in my 15.5 foot boat I used the rope method tied to the winch strap post. One of the problems I had with this was at one launch where the dock was about 20 yards away from the launch. But to make matters worse you had to go up a hill then down the walkway across the water to get to the dock. Only real time I had an issue with the rope.
    Last edited by KBusbee; 06-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.

2015 Nitro Z-9
    Mercury 250 Pro-XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex MSI I-pilot link
    Humminbird 9 Mega SI at Console and Bow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123