Hunting clothes...closet??

I have been hanging my hunting clothes in an upstairs closet at our hunting farm. They smell like a mouse infested old stale farm house. I can't wash them every time I got up there to hunt. I am not going to haul my usual plastic tubs back and fourth. So I am in need of something.
    I been kicking around the idea of a cedar lined closet in my barn up there. (There is alot of cedar there) Something mouse tight and dry. Anyone built one similar to it?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    I'd look in to vacuum storage bags for clothes.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    I'd look into big garment bags (if you have enough room in your closet) before investing a lot of time and effort. My wife has one that hangs on our rack and holds at least 6-8 dresses. It's probably at least 2'x2'x6'.

4. Member
    I would just put them on and spray a little deer urine them. You will be wishing for the stale mouse infested farmhouse smell soon enough.

5. Member
    One of the best hunters around home told me one of his secrets one day. When he got in from hunting, he would put his clothes in a plastic, unscented garbage bag that he also put pine limbs/needles in since we have a LOT of pine trees here. I would think you could buy one of the bigger Rubbermaid type boxes and put the garbage bag inside the Rubbermaid to keep the mice away. Of course, if you have no pines there just break some cedar limbs off to put in the bag.

6. Member
    And part of this might be my analism about scent control. Typically here at home I wash them and throw them in a big Rubbermaid tote. I used to use leaves and dirt but have since went with "mud" candle scent. It's the same stuff as they use in the autumn scent killer. It's highly concentrated so a little bit on a knotted up sock is plenty.typically I wear my street clothes to my spot strip down naked spray down then start back with fresh underwear and the like. It only really sucks when it's below about 20*. Ha
    I have a washer and dryer up there but I winterize them about November 1.
    I don't have any confidence when I can sit in my stand and smell my clothes.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    One of the best hunters around home told me one of his secrets one day. When he got in from hunting, he would put his clothes in a plastic, unscented garbage bag that he also put pine limbs/needles in since we have a LOT of pine trees here. I would think you could buy one of the bigger Rubbermaid type boxes and put the garbage bag inside the Rubbermaid to keep the mice away. Of course, if you have no pines there just break some cedar limbs off to put in the bag.
    Or leaf litter and dirt...I put this in the tips thread posted up top a while back... That's what I do with my goosedown stuff to keep from having to wash it all the time... That's also how I store it over the summer.. Tried the vacuum bags once and looked to have never got the plastic smell out of my clothes... Use a box that seals and unscented bags.. and layer your clothes with leaves , sticks, dirt, grass, pretty much whatever you want that comes off the place..
    Those leaves and dirt smell like the land around you though, that scent killer autumn or mud, smells like something they cooked up in a lab...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Banned
    I agree with the vacuum storage bags. Have used the Ziploc brand and they are really nice and can shrink a bag full of clothes to nearly nothing when you get all the air out. Just unzip or unscrew the cap, depending on the ones you get/have to get something out and close it back up. Put the vacuum to it if you are done with the items for a while.

I used to put mine in unscented garbage bags , then put cedar shaving in the bag. then tie it off.

Unless deer have learned to associate the smell of "a mouse infested old stale farm house" it probably does not matter much. I more concerned about not smelling like a human than specifically what I smell like. And in some places with high human population even smelling like a human may not bother them because they have been smelling since the day they were born. I live in a subdivision and we have deer in our yard all the time. I'm sure it reeks of humans (and curry). If you can hunt the wind, what you smell like become irrelevant.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Guys, I hate to say this, but all this scent stuff wears me out. I was that die hard scent free this and that and shower before I left. Deodorant and mouth wash and not getting dressed until out of the truck. Here’s the truth, they still smelled me. I learned long ago, you hunt the right wind for the stand and forget about scent. Hell, I got some camo that smells like cologne.... deer don’t care if they can’t get my wind. I have my fair share of good encounters, and sometimes I don’t exactly smell woods like... just my .02

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Guys, I hate to say this, but all this scent stuff wears me out. I was that die hard scent free this and that and shower before I left. Deodorant and mouth wash and not getting dressed until out of the truck. Here’s the truth, they still smelled me. I learned long ago, you hunt the right wind for the stand and forget about scent. Hell, I got some camo that smells like cologne.... deer don’t care if they can’t get my wind. I have my fair share of good encounters, and sometimes I don’t exactly smell woods like... just my .02

Agree 100% sent control is useless, hunt the wind is the only way.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    You're always going to smell to an extent, but I think it's more about scent mitigation rather than completely eliminating it. Wind is always a major factor, and so is your stand height, but I've noticed a pretty big difference between a routine of hunting with scent control stuff vs. just waking up, throwing on some pants and headed out.

then again, some people have claimed pissing near your stand doesn't hurt, but You still won't catch me pissing near it.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

We've been peeing out of our stands for years and haven't noticed any drop off in deer. I agree you don't want to smell like a gas station, but scent control is a joke. You're always gonna smell, hunt the right stand with the right wind and forget about the rest. My best friend is one of the best bow hunters in AR. He dipps, pisses and craps all around his stand. He pees in every scrape. He's killed over a dozen P&Y bucks in the last 15 years, he just chooses the right stand for the wind that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    We've been peeing out of our stands for years and haven't noticed any drop off in deer. I agree you don't want to smell like a gas station, but scent control is a joke. You're always gonna smell, hunt the right stand with the right wind and forget about the rest. My best friend is one of the best bow hunters in AR. He dipps, pisses and craps all around his stand. He pees in every scrape. He's killed over a dozen P&Y bucks in the last 15 years, he just chooses the right stand for the wind that day.
    I was on chaffee a couple of years ago bow hunting and I peed off of my stand and a few minutes later a small doe walked up right under me and licked the ground a couple of times and laid down. I had to make a racket to run the dang thing off because it wasn't even close to being a shooter.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Not saying it's impossible. I knew a guy who would smoke cigs and the bud while he hunted. He still did pretty decent. I hunt pretty pressured areas so I like every bit of chance/luck I can get!
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

I made one of those scent crusher totes for 70 bucks, regular store bought is 299. It works great and I don't have to wash my cloths after every hunt. I have had deer this year come in down wind of me and not even know I was there. I do use deer dander religiously though, I think it's a huge factor in covering the rest of my scent.