Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

99 518vx gas shocks for deck lids

I am putting in an order with Ranger and need to order gas shocks for my deck lids. Thought I had it figured out but the sales rep told me there are two sizes (10 and 15) and the pst are different as well. Mine doesn't have any so I don't have anything to go by. If anyone out there has a 518vx, could you check out what you have and let me know. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    The two rod lockers and the rear hatch are short. The middle is long. You want the low PSI for the short and the high psi for the longer.

3. Member
    Thanks for the help.

4. Member
    I also have a '99 518VX. I replaced my gas shocks in February of 2015. I ordered mine directly from Attwood via the internet. I replaced all of mine with their stainless steel version, which in my opinion look much better. Part Number: ST30-40-1, Description: SS 8MM EXT 10" CMP 7". The shocks are 40# (lb type). All have been working great so far.

5. Member
    I put all of the higher strength shocks on my boat. They literally ripped all the hinges off the rod lockers and the center locker. It made me sad. (they may have been on their way out)

6. Member
    Did you use those on the large front storage box as well?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGR518VX View Post
    I also have a '99 518VX. I replaced my gas shocks in February of 2015. I ordered mine directly from Attwood via the internet. I replaced all of mine with their stainless steel version, which in my opinion look much better. Part Number: ST30-40-1, Description: SS 8MM EXT 10" CMP 7". The shocks are 40# (lb type). All have been working great so far.
    Did you use those on the large front storage box as well?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberdown View Post
    I put all of the higher strength shocks on my boat. They literally ripped all the hinges off the rod lockers and the center locker. It made me sad. (they may have been on their way out)
    That is what I am concerned about as well.

9. Member
    I use these gas shocks on both rod lockers, the center compartment and the battery compartment. This is not the first time I have replaced all of my gas shocks since I purchased this boat new in '99. They have been replaced 4 times since boat was initially purchased. Each time I have used the exact same gas shocks. I have had no problems with rivets or screws coming loose on the compartment lids or any problems with using the 40 lb model gas shocks.

May have check mine out they are original.
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    May have check mine out they are original.
    Would like to know the length andpressure ratings are on the originals.

12. Member
    When I first replaced my gas shocks I ordered them from Ranger parts in March of 2003. Ranger part number was 6200780 per the invoice. Nomenclature was Shock, Lid. (5000-40) indicating 40 lb rating. Extended length of shock 10" and compressed length of shock 7". Those were the black colored shocks. They didn't last long so I switched to the Stainless steel model shock that has the same specifications as the original shocks. All 4 of my compartments use the same mounting hardware and shock sizes. As a caveat; I suppose that Ranger could have changed their shock application or mounting location within the same or later model year 518VX. I have not seen another '99 518VX since I purchased mine.

13. Member
    Thanks RGR518VX! That helps a lot. The Ranger shocks are only $7.50 each so don't expect them to be as good as the replacements you got. This will get me started though. Thanks again.

14. Member
    CigarBasser:

When one of your compartment lids comes crashing down on your head you'll know its time to replace your gas shocks. Been there, done that! When you decide to replace your gas shocks I"d recommend replace them all at same.

15. Member
    Does the main center lid have one or two shocks ?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRM View Post
    Would like to know the length andpressure ratings are on the originals.

are we saying the middle compartment shock is the same as the rod lockers ? 10 inch extended, 7 inch compressed ?

17. Member
    I have 2006 519vx. I replaced the center box with 1 40 lb ten inch shock. The rod lockers had 30 lb ten inch shocks. Brand was Signature SX-100P 40 and SX-100P 30. I would put a 40 lb on back lid. Tried to post pic but image was too big. This is the brand that was on the boat. Were 15 bucks each on line. Found mine online at essenbay marine.
    Last edited by Marshall; 01-27-2024 at 10:50 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief250 View Post
    are we saying the middle compartment shock is the same as the rod lockers ? 10 inch extended, 7 inch compressed ?
    Chief, you’re asking your questions of a guy who hasn’t been on this site in 6 years….

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    Chief, you’re asking your questions of a guy who hasn’t been on this site in 6 years….
    he was on here 3 days ago but might never see this thread?

RGR518VX

Last Activity 01-24-2024 10:33 AM

2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

20. Member
    https://www.signatureseriesgasspring.com/standards.html for anyone that needs an upgrade.....Just did all stainless on mine. Found most on ebay, once I had the part #
    2018 Z520L 50th Anniversary - 250 Pro XS 2-Stroke SN - 2B527745 / Reman Powerhead Built 8/2021 SN - QSCS00380OS0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast